BMW K1600 Forum banner

New R1250RT!

20K views 104 replies 36 participants last post by  JohnS1955 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Chopping block AFAIK

Reactions: Geoff_3
#6 ·
I bought the last 1600 GT option 719 planet blue I have been told........

Reactions: Geoff_3
#9 ·
The 2021 B and the 2021 GA are listed on the official BMW Motorad website with the updated colors, etc. The GT/GTL not yet...in support of @Gunnert, if the B and GA are in the mix for 2021, why not the GT and the GTL? I'm going with cup half full. They will be available.

The site is not up to date for the new RT, FWIW.

#28 · (Edited)
The 2021 B and the 2021 GA are listed on the official BMW Motorad website with the updated colors, etc. The GT/GTL not yet...in support of @Gunnert, if the B and GA are in the mix for 2021, why not the GT and the GTL? I'm going with cup half full. They will be available.

The site is not up to date for the new RT, FWIW.
The 2021 model details were released back in July, and my White 2021 K1600GT is due delivery early November. I held off changing last year as I was hoping for the TFT to be introduced, but 3 years and 130,000km has arrived and I’m not waiting any longer!

#10 ·
I'm with Gunnert the K1600 will be with us for 2021 and beyond. I still think we might see updates in 2021, I just came from the BMW Motorrad USA site and caught a small change in the standard equipment listed. I built a 2020 B and it's listed with a multifunction display, the 2021 B shows a TFT multifunction display. So will we see a new display?

#17 ·
I'm with Gunnert the K1600 will be with us for 2021 and beyond. I still think we might see updates in 2021, I just came from the BMW Motorrad USA site and caught a small change in the standard equipment listed. I built a 2020 B and it's listed with a multifunction display, the 2021 B shows a TFT multifunction display. So will we see a new display? View attachment 146560
View attachment 146561
I noticed that too when I built mine up. I still bought the 2020 and took the 0%- 60 month financing instead. I think they are just referring to the screen now that has some TFT or thin film technology in the cluster. If it does at that, I may be wrong. Just an assumption from me based on a photo I found somewhere saying TFT and showed the screen now. The current changes I found on the 2021 were a color upgrade and some items that were dropped individually are now included in the packages. Other then a color change, I didn't think there is a so called TFT like the RT has. Need the experts to chime in if they have any info. I really love this 2020 GA though!

#13 ·
I was chatting with the service manager at the local BMW dealership last week and he told me that BMW was getting EU 5 approval for the K1600 engine and that the platform will continue. I assume he knows something more than we do. Time will tell.

#18 ·
So I guess these features will be in the next K16 version
Adaptive cruise control
Phone compartment with fan and USB
Digital display but different to 1200RT as it was in the analogue versions

The mobile phone compartment with cooling will be the most welcome addition if done well. The RT has a compartment at the top that I always missed on the K16

#33 ·
I hope they redesign the dash so that a touch-screen TFT is easily reached by the rider. I'm tall, with a considerable wingspan, but even I find it a stretch to touch the NAV 6 screen while riding. It would be nice to move all of that closer to the rider (maybe over / above the bars) to make it easier to reach, and then construct a shroud that pulls even further back to help shade all of it from the sun to minimize wash-out, reflections, and help keep the sound from the speakers from being diffused by the wind. Hopefully I'm describing all of that in a way that easy to visualize.

#25 ·
Visually, the 2021 R1250RT looks similar to the previous version, but the front fairing was updated to incorporate a new angular LED headlight design replacing the round lights. The upper section is lower, giving riders a wider field of vision. BMW also tweaked the aerodynamics, reducing turbulence. The infotainment system’s radio antennas are now integrated into the fairing, further improving aerodynamics.
Like the R1250GS and R1250GS Adventure announced earlier this month, the 1254cc boxer with ShiftCam variable valve timing and valve lift has been updated to meet Euro 5 standards. Similar to its stablemates, the R1250RT claims 134 hp at 7750 rpm and 105 lb-ft. at 6250 rpm. The engine continues to use a mix of air and liquid cooling, with twin radiators helping provide precision cooling to the cylinder heads,
The 2021 R1250RT receives a new Eco engine mode as standard. Eco mode, which joins the standard Rain and Road ride modes, adjusts the ShiftCam system, optimizing fuel economy and producing a gentler torque curve. BMW also offers an upgraded Riding Modes Pro which adds additional modes plus a drag torque control system (MSR) which opens the throttle to reduce instability from excessive brake slip.
BMW Full Integral ABS Pro is a linked braking system, activating both front and rear brakes when either the hand or foot brake levers are used. The ABS system optimizes the brake pressure to either wheel, taking lean angle into consideration. Dynamic traction control returns as standard.
Also returning as standard equipment is Dynamic Cruise Control which automatically applies brakes to maintain the selected cruising speed when riding downhill. New for 2021 is the optional Active Cruise Control system which uses a radar sensor to adjust cruising speed when approaching slower vehicles. Unlike Ducati, BMW is not using a rear radar, so the R1250RT does not have a blind spot detection system like the upcoming Multistrada V4.
For 2021, BMW gave the R1250RT a new 10.25-inch TFT color screen as standard. The screen has a resolution of 1920×720 pixels, enough to show a navigation map along with the regular instrument cluster without needing a secondary display.
Vehicle Auto part Car Technology Electronic device
Vehicle Gadget Electronics Technology Car
Vehicle Car Technology Auto part Electronics
Vehicle Car Technology Auto part Multimedia

#26 · (Edited)
I don't like the new version of the combined brakes one bit. The current version allows me to use the rear brake in hairpin turns to modulate speed and load of the engine without affecting the steering, with the new version I am afraid that it will lead to some unpredictable behavior when attempting hairpin turns with the rear brake. I could be wrong though.

The lack of integration of the display into the dash is all too visible and reminds me of some car application with an alien object sticking out of the dash. Why does it have to look like somebody forgot an iPad in the docking station or the diagnostic panel in an electrical cubical? Look at the stylish integration of a large display on a Honda GoldWing and you have a reference point.

#34 ·
I don't like the new version of the combined brakes one bit. The current version allows me to use the rear brake in hairpin turns to modulate speed and load of the engine without affecting the steering, with the new version I am afraid that it will lead to some unpredictable behavior when attempting hairpin turns with the rear brake. I could be wrong though.

The lack of integration of the display into the dash is all too visible and reminds me of some car application with an alien object sticking out of the dash. Why does it have to look like somebody forgot an iPad in the docking station or somebody forgot the diagnostic panel in an electrical cubical? Look at the stylish integration of a large display on a Honda GoldWing and you have a reference point.
I think the new GW dash is fugly, but to each his own. I'm not yet decided on this new RT dash- will probably have to see it in person. One thing that stands out to me is that with the large TFT completely unshrouded, sunlight washout and reflections are going to be hard to combat. I would like to see the display moved closer to the rider (bigger visual sense of the same size display, and easier to reach for touch-screen functions) and deeply shrouded to minimize the effects of sunlight, etc.

#31 ·
The development timescale and cost to achieve Euro5 compliance is significant, so if the K1600 were to continue in Euro5 guise that work would have had to have been under way many, many months ago and it makes little sense to leave it this late in the game to bring that work to market.

My gut feel remains that the current K1600 is the end of the line.
There maybe a case for some (misplaced?) optimism.

The rules for Euro5 were drafted in the mid 2000's before Ricard's development of the K1600 engine started and were already being applied to petrol cars by 2009. One wonders if they had an eye to the rules when they built it, and there is some future proofing built in.

If we don't hear anything about a new model by December, then maybe I will be trawling the dealers looking for the last remaining GT / GTLEs before the new year.

Joe

#37 ·
With all the GPS functions there, that would be a bit of a disappointment. I would think it would make selecting a detour based on traffic delays much harder (depending on how it's programmed) for example.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#46 · (Edited)
If you are used to 6 cylinders everything else is a compromise.....I have a 1992 BMW 320i C with a 2l inline 6 which has no power whatsoever by today's standards, but I love that car just for the engine sound. With my Audi A6 3.0 TDI competition on its last months of the lease term, I go with the flow and ordered a BMW 530 hybrid with AWD and 4 cylinder. Not too exited about the combination of a range limited electrical motor and power limited 4 cylinder, but it is the tide of time. Hope my K1600 GT hangs in there after all the mess in the beginning. Wouldn't know what to replace it with when the time comes.
Come to think about it a V4 with its special sound signature would something.............

#49 ·
And pic in pic comes standard...............

#53 ·
Interesting video for the new R1250RT. I get the feeling that BMW is concentrating on more of their bread and butter motorcycles than the K1600. Somewhere in the back of my brain I just don't see BMW coming out with a video expounding about all the new features for a K1600. I think when you look at the big picture BMW has its eggs in the 1250 and 4 cylinder motorcycle baskets now and I will be quite surprised to see much of anything dramatic happening to the K1600. Unless of course BMW comes out with its own form of auto trans to challenge the Honda DCT which is selling remarkably well at present. While the Boxer BMW's have had several changes over the last several years, the K1600 has had almost none. The engine was detuned and they gave owners shift assist. Yippee, I feel better already. Horsepower has gone up on the Boxers and 4 cylinders, but remained the same on the K1600 and in fact the K lost performance, so to me this is all quite telling. The emphasis at BMW is definitely not on the K bikes anymore. I could be wrong, but I don't think the K1600 has many friends left at the Mothership that want to see it continued, especially after the transmission fiasco.

Rick H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.