BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 148 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Rear size back in stock; just ordered a F\R set from Revzilla.

I don't see any mention, either on Revzilla or Dunlop websites, about the two different versions. The ones I ordered have the same load ratings as OEM, so idk, hope I ordered the right ones.
yes you did. alternate version is for lighter bikes

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
It seems strange to me that everywhere I look, owners are wearing out their tires in ~5K miles. I have a Honda VTX 1800N (entirely different bike- low RPM high torque and heavy) and have run the stock Dunlops, Avon Venom Cobra's, and now Dunlop Elite 3's (best tire so far). The first two lasted ~13K miles, and this set looks to be going at least that far without issue. How are all of you burning up your tires so fast?

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
It seems strange to me that everywhere I look, owners are wearing out their tires in ~5K miles. I have a Honda VTX 1800N (entirely different bike- low RPM high torque and heavy) and have run the stock Dunlops, Avon Venom Cobra's, and now Dunlop Elite 3's (best tire so far). The first two lasted ~13K miles, and this set looks to be going at least that far without issue. How are all of you burning up your tires so fast?
you really wanna know? Get a k1600, explore her and your limits and come back to us with your tire wear report.:smile:

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I blame the DOT. You see those squiggly, squirrelly looking yellow and black road signs? You know, curves ahead?? Blame them!!! :k16:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
you really wanna know? Get a k1600, explore her and your limits and come back to us with your tire wear report.
Maybe the tires that fit the K1600 are a softer compound than those that fit the VTX (power cruiser class). The VTX has the torque to easily destroy the rear tire, and weighs ~800 lbs. I do ride conservatively most of the time, but I've made a couple trips to Deals Gap. The VTX is 1800cc (V-twin). The torque profile is entirely different than the K1600. Near max torque is available very low in the RPM band. I test rode a 2013 GTL and found it an exhilarating ride, for sure. However, if I rode at my typical pace and was not accelerating and braking at the max capability of the bike constantly, I would think I should be able to get similar life from the GTL's tires? IOW, is everyone here just thrashing their bikes regularly, or is there something else going on that causes such a large disparity in tire life? FWIW, the rear/front tires on my VTX are 180/150 widths.

BTW, I do plan to buy a GTL. I just bought a new truck, so it may have to wait a bit (besides, I like some of the changes listed for the 2017s), but the K1600 is in my future.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I would think I should be able to get similar life from the GTL's tires? IOW, is everyone here just thrashing their bikes regularly, or is there something else going on that causes such a large disparity in tire life?
Most only get 3800 to 4800 miles on the OEM Metzler tires. Some claim 7K to 10k on the Mich Pilot 4 GT's.
Looking forward to the real life experience of the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 Tires.
Dealer said they'll have them in one month or so.

What is the groups mileage experience on the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Radial?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
VTX, I *think* what you're saying is true... with moderate riding tires can last longer on this bike. I only have 2,200 miles on the K bike so can't speak first hand, but I'm pretty sure I recall some people reporting 10,000+ miles when I was reading the archives researching tires.

I never ran across any comments or suspicions about anything in the K bike suspension geometry that caused premature tire wear.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Knock off a few thousand miles and I think you have a comparison... the K being 150 or so lbs heavier and about 40 more hp than the RT.

Dunlop Elite 4's were the last tire I had on the GL1800 and they were spectacular... neutral handling, terrific grip, long lasting. I got 10,000 miles on the rear on that bike, which weighed 850 lbs.

Less than 10,000 HARD miles with the RSIII on the K would disappoint me.

Btw... since Dunlop specifically targeted Michelin, I'm going to assume they're at the drawing board right *now* devising their next tire. Good for us!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have been running on Dunlop R.S. II, and I'm happy with them. I am going on 10K miles, and probably make it safely to 12K. No problem cupping, or uneven wear. I'm not the most aggressive driver, but I push it a little on the twisty road, and the performance seems fine. I am hesitant to go to the R.S. III because I'm the " if it works don't fix it" kind of guy. I like a tire that will last me the entire ridding season, and don't want to trade any wear qualities for more performance. If the R.S. III will give me the same wear characteristics as the II, and better performance, I would go for it. I have gone through 3 sets of tires so far, and RS II were the best, I don't know if I should even count the original Metz, they wore out in 4K miles.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
I have been running on Dunlop R.S. II, and I'm happy with them. I am going on 10K miles, and probably make it safely to 12K. No problem cupping, or uneven wear. I'm not the most aggressive driver, but I push it a little on the twisty road, and the performance seems fine. I am hesitant to go to the R.S. III because I'm the " if it works don't fix it" kind of guy. I like a tire that will last me the entire ridding season, and don't want to trade any wear qualities for more performance. If the R.S. III will give me the same wear characteristics as the II, and better performance, I would go for it. I have gone through 3 sets of tires so far, and RS II were the best, I don't know if I should even count the original Metz, they wore out in 4K miles.
The US made RSII lasted over 7k for me and I was happy but the Japanese made RSII rear only lasts me 3500 miles. Look at your back tire, I'm curious where it's made.
I still keep putting them on because there the stickiest tire I can find for my GT.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
More recent tests from The Motorrad test Center rating Metzler Roadtech 01s the best sport touting tire over the Roadsmart IIIs, the PR4s, the Angel GTs and Conti.

METZELER ROADTEC 01 ‘best sport touring tyre on the market’ for the German magazine Motorrad

The new ROADTECTM 01, the tyre launched on the market by METZELER in 2016, won the 2016 sport touring tyre comparative test made by the German magazine Motorrad which elected it as the best tyre of the test.
The comparison, won by ROADTECTM 01, comparing to the following tyres: Continental Road Attack 2 EVO, Dunlop RoadSmart III and Michelin Pilot Road 4.
The comparative test, published in the 13/2016 issue of Motorrad on newsstands these days, was conducted using tyres in 120/70 ZR 17 front and 180/55 ZR 17 rear sizes mounted on a Honda CB 1000 R. The test took place in France at the Circuit de Automobile Karland Mireval owned by the Goodyear-Dunlop Group and in the streets around the circuit for the road test.
The testers from Motorrad took into account several factors testing the tyres to the extreme. All tyres were tested in two specific tests, a road test to simulate daily use and a wet test on track Each test included parameters such as handling, steering precision, grip and stability in cornering, grip under acceleration and the braking distance at 100 km/h plus many other factors which were evaluated.
This is the final ranking drawn up by Motorrad:
1) METZELER ROADTEC™ 01
2) DUNLOP RoadSmart III
3) CONTINENTAL Road Attack 2 EVO
4) MICHELIN Pilot Road 4
Following the win in the supersport tyre comparative with SPORTEC™ M7 RR (issue 12/2016) an additional confirmation for METZELER which can now also claim the distinction in the sport touring segment from Motorrad.
The tyre brand of German descent has great heritage in this sector having previously been voted by Motorrad in 2015 as the best sport touring tyre on the market with the METZELER ROADTEC™ Z8 INTERACT™..
With ROADTEC™ Z8 INTERACT™ the METZELER brand was already the best in class in the Sport Touring segment but the philosophy of the blue elephant brand, however, is to constantly invest in research and development in order to improve even those products which are already considered the undisputed market leader. The result is the new ROADTEC™ 01 that,whilst keeping a strong link with the family it belongs to, draws a clear dividing line with the past, using completely different development and design criteria compared with the previous products. This is why, to complete the name, ROADTEC™ is not designated a higher model number in respect to the Z8 but with the number 01 instead. This identifies the tyre as a completely new project, from the materials used, to the profiles, to the compounds up to the most visible element, the tread pattern.
With respect to the ROADTEC™ Z8 INTERACT™ROADTEC™ 01 increases the mileage and enhances the grip on wet and low friction surfaces.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
That's it then. The Roadtech 01's are going on my list of "must try" tires.
Metzeler won by IIRC by a very small margin due to better braking performed in wet. And remember the test bike was much lighter with a lot less torque.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have a hard time lining up tires for a try, **** things are too expensive to just throw a set on and try em. I use word of mouth from other owners of my bike who ride similarly and go from there. I don't like being a guinea pig when it comes to tires, bad on my wallet and potentially bad on my life.
This is one of the absolute best benefits from a bike specific forum and I thank you guys for that.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Sometimes the difference in tire life is attributed to more power and/or weight. It has more to do with the tire design. If you ran the same tires on a VTX1800 on a K1600 you would have similar tire life. A cruiser will be limited on cornering clearance by design so edge grip is not as much of a priority on a VTX.

Sport touring bikes lean more and riders can be more aggressive so the tires on them are softer for improved grip. It is a tire design trade off. If we want the same tire life we give up some grip. If we want more grip we give up tire life.

Sometimes we see the power of the K1600 blamed for limited tire life and a lighter or less powerful sport touring bike are alleged to have better tire life. That is not all that true. The lighter sport touring bikes I've had and the ADV styled bikes I've had which I used for sport touring all have pretty similar tire life. There may be marginally less tire life on the heavier and powerful K compared to other sport touring bikes but I really have noticed no significant difference. If it is a sport touring bike and you use sport touring tires you will get similar wear life regardless of weight or power of the bike assuming you ride the bikes with the same level of aggression and on similar roads.

I blame the DOT. You see those squiggly, squirrelly looking yellow and black road signs? You know, curves ahead?? Blame them!!! :k16:
Obviously this is a joke but it does make the point as to why we have limited tire life. Few of us will really wear the outside of our tires on these bikes. Most of us wear out the middle of the tire as we drone along straighter roads looking for the good curvy roads but this humorous comment highlights why we get limited life out of the tires. We want that great grip when leaned over but also want the long life. Dual compound tires may have helped tire life marginally with a harder center and softer shoulder on the tire but I don't see a huge improvement in tire life with the dual compound tires which have been out for a while now. The need to have that soft tire shoulder will make it very hard to get the tire life we'd like to get.

Maybe these Roadsmart III's will be the unicorn of sport touring tires where we get great grip and great life. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
The Metzler Roadtech 01s may have edged out the Dunlop but I just don't like giving the Chinese my money. Now that the front Roadtch is only made in China I will skip it.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Having gone through 1 set of the original Z8's, 3 sets of the PR 4 GT's and currently running a set of the Angel GT "A" by far these Dunlop Roadsmart 3's appear to have the deepest tread of them all. Having seen the 01's in person a few weeks back we're real Happy that we waited & went with these instead especially with the current rebate and two free tickets to any 2017 Moto America race (Utah in June for us).

:k16:
Can you comment on the sidewall stiffness of the sidewalls of these tires? I saw a pre-release version of this tire about a year ago. The tread pattern looked great but the sidewall was by far the stiffest sidewall I'd ever felt on a motorcycle tire. I would appreciate that stiff sidewall when in use on the bike but was using a NoMar tire changer at the time and the super stiff sidewall scared me off for a do it yourself tire change. If somebody else was having to wrestle with it that would have been fine letting somebody install them for me but I was not ready to wrestle with a tire that stiff by myself.

For those of us changing tires with the more basic tire changers, can you comment on how stiff that sidewall is compared to the other tires you have used? The tire I saw was not the final version and I'm hoping they ended up with a more manageable sidewall for do it yourself tire change folks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Haven't installed them yet as the Pirelli's have a ways to go before needing replacement. They appear to be very similar in sidewall stiffness as the GT 'A".

21 - 40 of 148 Posts