BMW K1600 Forum banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
I have 10,200 Miles on 2018 K1600B, I have the original Michelin Pilot GT tires. I noticed today the rear tire is almost wore out in the middle. The front tire has good tread depth, but has cupping on the sides. I check the air pressure on the 1 weekend of every Month.
Sounds like those Michelin's did the trick for you. If you like them just install another set and you know you can go another 10k. I would not try to keep the front another 2 or 3K because it just isn't worth another trip to the shop.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have 10,200 Miles on 2018 K1600B, I have the original Michelin Pilot GT tires. I noticed today the rear tire is almost wore out in the middle. The front tire has good tread depth, but has cupping on the sides. I check the air pressure on the 1 weekend of every Month.
I had very similar characteristics with my PR4 GTs. I can only account for 7500 miles, as I purchased the bike used with those tires already installed. Wore out the center of the rear. Feathering on both sides up front. Nothing too concerning and I check pressures (42/42) prior to every ride. Replaced them this week with Bridgestone T31 GTs. We’ll see how these wear.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I have about 11K miles on my 2018 GTL and replaced the stock Michelins at 10K. The front tire was past due, but I think the rear could have gone several thousand miles more. I check pressure at least weekly, as I take the bike to work almost daily and put 50 miles round trip on it.

After reading the forum here and other reviews on the Dunlop RS3's from Revzilla, etc..., I decided to go with them and had my dealer order them, as they don't normally stock them. At least one article I had seen was talking about getting 16K - 20K miles out of them, which I am hopeful for as I was getting that out of Continentals on different bikes a very long time ago. My riding style is more in to the tour and look around versus the sportier approach.

I personally am very happy with the switch from the moment I rode out of the lot with the new tires on. The Michelin's never gave me confidence in turns and I always felt like I was bouncing around on the highway when the pavement was smooth and no reason for it. The RS3's grip the road very well and act like they want to make those hard turns, diving in to them, but feeling like they grip the road very well the entire time. Also, the stability and smooth ride I expect on the highway is now there, making me happier about switching from the GL1800 Gold Wing.

I will likely replace these with the same and hope the results are consistent.

Now, if we can just get a fix on the brakes where you can apply both front and rear and not have the rear brake lever acting like it doesn't know it is there for a reason...

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I have about 11K miles on my 2018 GTL and replaced the stock Michelins at 10K. The front tire was past due, but I think the rear could have gone several thousand miles more. I check pressure at least weekly, as I take the bike to work almost daily and put 50 miles round trip on it.

After reading the forum here and other reviews on the Dunlop RS3's from Revzilla, etc..., I decided to go with them and had my dealer order them, as they don't normally stock them. At least one article I had seen was talking about getting 16K - 20K miles out of them, which I am hopeful for as I was getting that out of Continentals on different bikes a very long time ago. My riding style is more in to the tour and look around versus the sportier approach.
You are one rare beast. Getting more than 5-6k out of a rear tire on the GTL is quite uncommon. Perhaps it is the fact that you seem to be slabbing it most of the time. But, 16-20k, that is unheard of. If someone is getting that on the RS3's, it isn't on a K1600.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
Now, if we can just get a fix on the brakes where you can apply both front and rear and not have the rear brake lever acting like it doesn't know it is there for a reason...
Read your owners manual concerning the proper braking procedure. Only use the front brake lever when stopping, even in a panic stop. The bike will properly apply the front and rear brakes for you. I only use the rear brake pedal when doing very slow maneuvers like in a parking lot. It is tough to retrain yourself not to use both the hand brake and rear pedal each time but once you do you'll find the bike is smarter than you. As a bonus your brake pads will last longer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello RoadSmart 3's, Goodbye Michelin Pilot 4 GT's

It really does appear that any of the new generation of tires are excellent choices. A step up from the Pilot Road 4 and the other previous tire choices.

When I bought my K1600 Bagger a year ago used with 6K miles, it had new Pilot 4 GT's on it. For the life of me, I could not understand why my Bike had heavy steering, I have to fight it in turns, it was drifting to the outside, kinda scary. I got 5k miles on the rear tire, front tire had cupping. Today I had the Dunlop Roadsmart 3's install, and went on a 60 mile ride, what a difference! The heavy steering is gone, and the Bagger now falls into the turns, like it a sport bike. I am very happy with tires. I have had Dunlops on all my Bikes from the 80's on up, and had good luck with them. $134.99 front, $189.99 rear on sale now (January 2020) through Cycle Gear.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
AZ Jim,
You are right about it being tough to retrain yourself. This is the first bike with integrated brakes I have had where you are not ok to get on both brakes if wanting to slow down quickly. I have had two prior bikes with integrated brakes and ABS and had to use them in emergency stops one time each. Ever since the first time, I have been an ABS proponent and will not buy another bike without ABS. I have been trying to adapt, but in my mind it is an area that should be improved, especially since others exist and work fine, and hope they do incorporate as an improvement for 2021, but will see what happens.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I bought my K1600 Bagger a year ago used with 6K miles, it had new Pilot 4 GT's on it. For the life of me, I could not understand why my Bike had heavy steering, I have to fight it in turns, it was drifting to the outside, kinda scary. I got 5k miles on the rear tire, front tire had cupping. Today I had the Dunlop Roadsmart 3's install, and went on a 60 mile ride, what a difference! The heavy steering is gone, and the Bagger now falls into the turns, like it a sport bike. I am very happy with tires. I have had Dunlops on all my Bikes from the 80's on up, and had good luck with them. $134.99 front, $189.99 rear on sale now (January 2020) through Cycle Gear.
Had the same issue on a 2016 K1600GT with the Michelin PR4GT, have switched to Dunlop RoadSmart III in 2017 and I am now on my 3rd set.

Regards,

Robert

141 - 148 of 148 Posts