BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mr.Fix It
8,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email from Sena announcing a new headset co-developed with Harman-Kardon. Sounds promising; no pun intended... :)

Duane

Reactions: OSCS

·
Registered
534 Posts
I got that email too. I'm not sure how good the sound would be with all the wind noise that is always present in every high-end helmet I've ever owned. I'm no audiophile, but vehicles and motorcycles don't really benefit from the expensive upgrades to their sound systems. They probably sound awesome when you're sitting still. Might be ok with earphones. I wear earplugs to keep from going any more deaf than I already am.

I was interested in the new Impulse helmet. Integrated H-K sound and all that. Looking at pics of it on SENA's website, I was able to read "Made in China". Nope. I'm out.

Reactions: rengleny

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Better sound is always welcome, but I really want more connections.

Need phone, two GPS, radar, and intercom at least.

Oh, and buttons that are easy to use with heavy winter gloves...

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a pair of SENA SMH10-D's. They are "old skool" according to Richard at RKA. That may be, but they work for what I want them to do; comm, music from phone, phone calls. I've heard too many horror stories about the newer, much more expensive units filling up with water in the rain, connection issues.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My experience with the current 50S was mixed. On the plus side, it has really good Mesh capabilities. Connectivity to multiple other 50S riders was great.

But also being a Cardo user, I was disappointed with most other functions. Relative to Cardo, the speakers (volume and sound quality) are mediocre. I used my S-Plug earbuds to make sound usable. I make heavy use of Siri, and issuing commands (for me) was sometimes a hit-and-miss affair. The native Sena commands were also less reliable than the Cardo equivalent. I don't remember having any issues making or receiving phone calls. Battery life was also a daily challenge.

I think this new generation coming out is a recognition that something had to be done to close the gap with Cardo. Hopefully this release does it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It’ll be interesting to see what kind of improvement these HK speakers have over Sena’s current HD speakers.
I am interested in the upcoming 50C with the integrated camera, but I really hope Sena can improve the battery life over their current 10C Evo headset when using the camera.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Hmm….,wonder if the 20 minute til dead battery option is available like on my first AND my replacement 50R’s? Luckily customer stinks in my specific experience so sure I can simply call them if I have any questions.

A direct quote form Sena support “guy” number 5 a while ago after the troubleshooting tips and procedures did not cure the battery drain issue. “If it still doesn’t work how can and do I know you are actually doing the self help procedures and not just sending it back?”

Enjoy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Customer service is crappy all over. IF you actually get a person, he/she is difficult to understand at best and has no idea what you're talking about describing the situation that you called them about!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Customer service is crappy all over. IF you actually get a person, he/she is difficult to understand at best and has no idea what you're talking about describing the situation that you called them about!
In many cases of customer support, I would agree with you. But Cardo technical support is actually pretty decent. I've rarely have to wait long on the line, and the people who answer for the most part are knowledgeable. If they can't answer a question and have to do research, I'll usually get an e-mail response within 24 hours.

I don't know about Sena support. The one time I wanted to call them, I couldn't find a number and just said screw it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've never owned a Cardo unit. I'm glad to hear their customer service people are good. I guess I painted with too broad a brush, but many of the CS people I've dealt with lately couldn't find their way out of an open cardboard box.

Reactions: JohnS1955
1 - 12 of 12 Posts