BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to purchase a K1600 GTL. I figured this was a good place to start to get some info. I’m a Harley convert but I really enjoy the ride of the K1600. I look forward to gaining some insight and wisdom from all the experienced BMW riders here.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another Harley convert. Lots of wisdom and knowledge here. Not sure if you’re looking to buy new or used, but if you’re near a dealer my advice would be to ride all the K1600 models to be comfortable with your choice.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Welcome. Make yourself at home. ^^^+1 what Ron said...that's good advice. Good luck and enjoy whichever model fits you.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Welcome and good choice. Please ride them all before you drain your account a bit. All dealers will let you with no issues and most carry them all to try. Also, if you buy one privately, do not get it, if records are unknown. If you do find records, do not hesitate to schedule a local dealer to look at it and give you a report. It pays !!!!! It does not matter the age or mileage, it is a must. These bikes are very involved and require full attention, service wise. I hear some horror stories. I had a GTLE that I got used. Fantastic machine, but was not the most comfortable for a 6'4"/ 205 lbs. The GA killed it for me. Again, ride them all as much as you can. Good luck and happy riding.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,338 Posts
Reliability-wise, you shouldn't be in for a shock, like someone who'd only ever owned newer, Big 4 bikes. BMW is comparable to "new" H-D, and more reliable than old.

As stated, the biggest issue is also the greatest strength of these bikes; my Daddy would say, "Oh, it's got all that great stuff on it? Just more to break!"

Obviously, most of us think the pluses outweigh the minuses, but you won't find many mindless Koolaid drinkers here who claim these bikes never need repair. The more complexity and sophistication you add to anything mechanical, and the more issues have potential to crop up. Keep up with the service, as also advised above, and your reliability chances go up markedly.

If, like many of us did, you fell in love with the engine, and the incredibly nimble handling for a bike so large, you'll most likely be happy as a clam.

Even if I didn't address it, ALL the advice you got in this thread is excellent. Welcome to the forum, and post often!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Evldice, per my last comments, please know that after buying the first BMW ever, I really do not think I can ride anything else anymore, as simple as that. Totally sold by this company.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts