BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a new to me 2018 GTL I haven't taken delivery of it yet. Waiting on the dealer to release it after the recall is completed.

While I'm waiting, I was wondering how the lighting on the GTL is at night? I know they use a Xenon HID as what I think is the main headlight?

Then the 2 side lights are halogen, and are for high beams?

If this is right, is there any need to replace the 2 side halogen lights with LEDs?

When I commute there's not many places where I can use high beams, but if I'm out running around at night and get caught up on the Cherohala Skyway or on the Dragon any additional lighting ALWAYS helps!

If LED's are recommended or suggested what type bulb is used?

TIA!

·
Registered
476 Posts
You have many options by now for this bike. As you can see, please read that post dedicated to LED conversion. I got mine from Hikari and no regrets. The halogen H7 is like a candle light compare to the LED.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Many of us have added auxiliary lights from companies like Clearwater and Denali. A friend of mine bought a set of no name LEDs on Amazon for little of nothing and they seem to do the job.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Even with the stock lighting (fog lights included) I was impressed on my 2014 GTL. When I added the Darlas...wow...

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Depends on your riding. Stock if fine to be seen, but if you need to see down the road it may come up short. I have an '18 GTL and wasn't getting enough light--I run fast in remote areas where the deer and the antelope play, so it's a big deal. First changed the high beam to Sylvania Silverstar Ultra (actually had the dealer do it). That helped, but then added Clearwaters, which are as spectacular.as they are expensive. I actually have to dim them to 50% or so they're so strong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts