BMW K1600 Forum banner

New to this, please advise!

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Anthony_Skl 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. New to this forum and I joined because I really need your advise. I'm about to buy a 2012 1600GT. I felt in love with this one, but I do consider of the weight. I live in a steep hill, almost 15% degrees, and my garage door opens in the middle of it. In addition to that, my garage is narrow and I cannot turn the bike around to get it out.
Please tell me how easy is to maneuver the bike, so I can get it out with the tail. I'm 5.9'' and the bike doesn't have a reverse.
(Excuse my English... :) )

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
Welcome! What if you buy one of these - would that make it possible to turn the bike inside the garage or is it too narrow?

The bike is quite hard to maneuver at slow speeds, but you will probably quickly get used to it :)

#8 ·
I take it the hill slopes down into your garage. Do you have space to turn 90 degrees prior to entering and back in? Either way, a good skill to learn is backing down hill with the bike in gear using the clutch (engine off of course).

#9 ·
The weight of the K16 is an issue when attempting to maneuver the bike in tight quarters like a driveway or garage, add a steep slope, short legs and you have problems. I have somewhat of a narrow driveway so it took me 2 or 3 tries to turn the bike around but it's possible just be patient. With the deck stacked against you the K16 might not be the best bike for your situation, dropping a 700+lb bike on a 15% slope is going to be a real challenge to pick back up. Good luck and I hope you are able to buy the K16, it is a wonderful motorcycle.

#10 ·
How wide is the garage ? Are you able to put it on the center stand ? I have a Lotta bikes when I bring one home after a ride it gets parked on a 2‘ x 2‘ piece of carpet rubber backed. You no carpet squares ? After I clean the bike up wipe it down in order to get it out of the two doors I just drove it through I pushed down on the rear tail a bit and spin the bike around dragging the front tire a bit while on the center stand on the carpet square and It all turns 180° so that I can pull it back out Eliminating doing a six point turn around or I turn at 90° to back it into its spot
If your concrete is smooth like my tile If not maybe a little bit of silica sand under it on the rubber side and the ground that should help to spin it with the weight
I can do a video But I can’t post it on the web here It’s not allowed

Attachments

#14 ·
Yes I know the piece of carpet you're saying. But as I said, it's an open garage with stones on the floor and believe me it would be VERY difficult to turn it that way, even if I put silica gel underneath.
Thanks for your answer, anyway.
Oh.. and great color by the way.. It's a beauty..

#16 ·
I maneuver my GTL by standing on the left side and hands on the handlebar grips. You can pull the bike back on nearly level surface. If you turn the bars left the motion will tend to pull it away from you, to the right, toward you. Just keep the weight leaning into you so that your holding it with a little effort and go slow. I find when backing I let the seat contact my right hip and forward with just my hands. I use the brake lever to keep it slow and have not had any issues.

#18 ·
Wow...hard to give you anything that tells you what to do. You'll get a ton of personal advice on how others have managed their own K1600. It's just so variable. I will just say the least amount of fun I have on this great bike is moving it around in tight spaces. Once rolling though, it all goes away. Definitely seek out a low seat for it sits you pretty low and helps with keeping feet on the ground. Definitely, definitely, definitely get yourself some front and rear bars, they will pay for themselves soon enough. Good luck with your decision.

#20 ·
@Anthony_Skl , based your post and subsequent responses I'd recommend you not get a K1600GT. The ONLY way to know if you can maneuver a K1600GT into/out of your garage is to try it...

Duane

#22 ·
Hello everyone. New to this forum and I joined because I really need your advise. I'm about to buy a 2012 1600GT. I felt in love with this one, but I do consider of the weight. I live in a steep hill, almost 15% degrees, and my garage door opens in the middle of it. In addition to that, my garage is narrow and I cannot turn the bike around to get it out.
Please tell me how easy is to maneuver the bike, so I can get it out with the tail. I'm 5.9'' and the bike doesn't have a reverse.
(Excuse my English... :) )

Thanks in advance!
Is there nowhere else at all you can park it? While it may be inconvenient to not have it close to home, that may be more convenient than damage you might get from a drop…especially without bars.

#25 ·
Gentlemen. I proudly announce that I found my dream girl. After several searches I finally found this beauty. It's a 2017 model with a reverse (thank god) and suddenly all the problems were fixed.
I can easily get her in and out without any particular hassle. Of course is a beast, but manageable, since my feet are all the way down firmly. Thank you all for any advice you provided and I'm sure I will be a happy owner!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.