BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tis the season for dealers to start going beyond factory incentives to discount the 2015 models to make room for the crates of 2016s starting to pile up on the loading dock.

So I negotiate a respectable price out the dealer for a brand new virtually unridden 2015 K1600GTL in dark storm metallic with everything but nav. The price might not be quite down as far as I wanted, but it's very likely at the edge of profitability for the dealer so I'm feeling OK about that.

Then the dealer says, "I still have our 2015 GTL demo".

"Oh?" says I.

The demo is the same color and option packages, but with ~1700 miles on the clock. It's had it's 600 mile service and is still wearing the original tires.

The difference in price is $1,475.

Given the nature of the motor and the complexities of the electronics, do I care about 1700 demo miles on a bike? I'm not sure. :puzzled:

Some motors are more sensitive to break-in than others. Given that engine stresses for the GTL are spread over six water-cooled cylinders, I'm inclined to think that this motor wouldn't suffer much from the overly enthusiastic riding from some prospective buyers. Still, BMW continues to publish break-in guidelines and if I buy the new bike, I'd follow them even if I think it's a bit of overkill. (That's just me being me.)

It's good news that the 600 miles service is out of the way. The bad news is that my first tire change is 1700 miles sooner in my future. I'm thinking these two factors cancel each other out.

So, I'm interested in the opinion of the collective.

New or demo?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd grab the demo. They are giving you almost $1/mile ridden. The tires are probably about 1/3 worn which is probably about $150 worth of tires. Service for 600 mile is probably $200 - $300 so pretty much a wash.

I bought a K1200LT as a demo bike with about 600 miles on it. I put 60,000 miles on it and never had a problem with the engine. I don't remember what the discount on it was. In fact, I'm not sure they did give me much discount. I paid $19,995 for it in 2000. Makes the K1600 seem like somewhat of a bargain when you take into account inflation.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
I would ask them to knock another 2k off the demo price or go new.

Ive seen demos selling for 4k less than retail.

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
1400 bucks isn't enough cracker for me over a brand new one. Now.. If it had a coupon for a free 6k service and next rubber install (you buy the tires) and a Nav unit thrown in.... I might have to think on that..

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I bought a demo GT with 2000 miles on it, 600 mile service was done
Got a great price, dealer changed the oil and filter before delivery. In the next 22000 miles the bike ran super never using a drop of oil, traded it on a RT as the extra weight on my new knee became a issue
Wouldn't hesitate to buy a demo!!

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I would ask them to knock another 2k off the demo price or go new.
I bought mine as a demo. Had just over 1,200 on the clock.

I got $3,500 off, PLUS Nav V for 1/2 price. I bought my bike (a '13) in January of '14, so they were motivated.

As far as break in - not a concern. I use the motorman break in method more than the "baby it" break in method, so I don't care if some rode her hard. I am personal friend with the guy at A&S that leads demo rides; he told me that he put at least 80% of the miles on the bike, leading other bikes on demos. Has almost 22K on the clock, and still doesn't burn a drop of oil.

You should be able to get a pretty good deal on a '15 demo just about now. Someone looking to buy a '16 wants to demo a '16.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I purchased a 2014 GTL demo in late Feb. of this year.
It had a little over 2500 miles on it and was in excellent condition.
I ended up getting it for $23,000, out the door, which I was well pleased with.
BMW adds 3 months to the warranty on demos, 39mos./36,000 miles.
The K had used zero oil when I changed it at 6500 miles, and at my current 8500 miles, still reads full.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought a demo 2015GTL a few months ago am very happy with it. Was pleased with the additional discount. Between that and the rebates I felt like it was a good deal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Thank you all for the feedback.

I was inclined to go with the Demo bike, especially since the offered price is even better than the examples a few of you posted. The only flies in the ointment are:

Scuffs: The dealer sent me photos of the demo. There are scratches on both saddlebags and the left mirror. I don't think it's been tipped over but rather rubbed up against things while being moved around. There are also a few blemishes on the seats. All in all, nothing drastic, but they're there.

Warranty: The dealer informs me (and he had to check with someone) that the warranty starts on the first day the bike was put into service, not when I buy it. I mentioned that I've heard (through your replies, thank you), that demo bikes get additional warranty time. Apparently not. The date put into service for this bike is June, 2015. I'd lose five months of warranty. Those missing five months would have gotten me through the end of the 2018 riding season.

So now I'm thinking that the extra warranty time and a virgin paint job to muck up on my own may be worth the extra $1475. Besides, the deal I'm being offered on the brand new bike is a little over $4k off and 20% off BMW accessories.

If anybody has some hard evidence that a demo bike gets additional warranty time, let me know and I'll wave it in front my dealer. Otherwise I think I'm going to pony up the additional dollars for the new model.

Decisions, decisions... :bangdesk:

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
They add warranty, but it may be a wash. My demo bike went into service as a demo bike in Sept '13. I bought it in January. My warranty runs until December 2016.

They do add the extra time, but the clock is running on when the Dealer puts it into service. I actually personally got 35 months.

I will be buying an extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
Ghost,
I wouldn't spend 20+ grand for a bike that's already scratched up..If those scratches are on the tops of the bags it probably came from boots, if they are n the sides of the cases along with the mirror I would say it was dropped.

For 1500 bucks I would take the new one and scratch it myself.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with Darbinco...... In 6 months time you just won't remember the extra $'s you paid for new, but you'll always be reminded of the scuff marks every time you get on it if you go for ex-demo........Plus when you come to sell, 1 owner will always be worth a tiny bit more and/or be just that bit easier sell than a 2 owner.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Thank you all for the feedback.

If anybody has some hard evidence that a demo bike gets additional warranty time, let me know and I'll wave it in front my dealer. Otherwise I think I'm going to pony up the additional dollars for the new model.

Decisions, decisions... :bangdesk:
My warranty started the day the bike was delivered to me. NOT the day the bike was first used as a demo. Demo was sold as a NEW bike. I have the paperwork, but no way to scan it. Plus, I bought the ext warranty, 8 yrs total, for 1300. If you are getting 4k off new bike, nothing wrong with that at all.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was inclined to go with the Demo bike, especially since the offered price is even better than the examples a few of you posted. The only flies in the ointment are:

So now I'm thinking that the extra warranty time and a virgin paint job to muck up on my own may be worth the extra $1475. Besides, the deal I'm being offered on the brand new bike is a little over $4k off and 20% off BMW accessories.
I agree, $1475 isn't enough ... forget the $4k off the new scooter, BMW can raise the price by $2k and tell you they'll give you $6k off and that's a sales practice among manufacturers.

Understand that the first offer on a used vehicle is probably the best that's ever going to be given ... if you're not dead set on a "brand new" bike, offer HIM what you're willing to part with, and not a penny more.

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
Most the time demo bikes are sold as new bikes and the warranty starts on your date of purchase. It's easy to do as you are the very first person the bike is titled to. Any bike a dealer has can be a demo bike, they just throw a temp plate on it and let you ride. Far as I'm concerned the warranty should start the day the bike is purchased. Now if they want to play warranty games (which is what they are doing) I would then look at it like they were selling you a previously owned (read used) bike and my offer would reflect that along with any scratches, scuffs etc.. I would offer them no more than what I would offer anyone standing in their garage looking at a used one. Actually I may even hit them lower because I have no conscience when it comes to kicking dealers in the seeds over price.

You've never mentioned the numbers but my offer on a used bike without full warranty with miles and scratches would certainly not start out with a 2.

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
Here's another warranty thought.

I first test drove a GTL in June of 14. My dealer had it on the floor, I wanted to ride it and I did, I put the first 60 miles on the bike. Long story short no deal on it in June. Months go by and October rolls around and we are ready to try again. Just so happens they still had the same GTL in the show room that I rode 4 months prior but now it has 125 miles on it. Even though the bike has been test ridden the warranty didn't start until I signed the papers on it. Had they told me there was 4 months of warranty gone because the bike was a "demo" I would have taken the brand new, zero mile bike that was parked right next to it. I had my choice for the same price as to which one I wanted.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
I would consider it a plus to get rid of those tires sooner.

HOWEVER, for me there's something special about shiny and new vs. having demo miles. Yes, I've bought plenty of used bikes. But then the whole idea is to pay substantially less than a new bike. I don't know what your financial math looks like, or whether you're financing, etc. I would go brand new unless there was some special financial number that grabbed my attention. Whatever that number is.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts