BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
RL and his gang are on a ride through eastern Tennessee, north Georgia, and western NC so I suspect we're going to get some good ride reports of how the Wilburs handled The Dragon and how mountain men in red pick up trucks are a menace. :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
\so I suspect we're going to get some good ride reports of how the Wilburs handled The Dragon and how mountain men in red pick up trucks are a menace. :)
Ya think? :)

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
oh the videos will be amazing, perhaps if we all ask we can get an early trailer

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How much $$$$

3k or better?
You will be surprised how affordable the Wilbers are.

The affordability comes with keeping BMW stock electronics.

With the group buy the shocks were under $1,000.00
Install $300. By Herman.

Herman got a discount from Wilbers for building at least 10 at one time. Plus they will build for your weight and riding style. With enough interest maybe Herman will do another group buy?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You will be surprised how affordable the Wilbers are.

The affordability comes with keeping BMW stock electronics.

With the group buy the shocks were under $1,000.00
Install $300. By Herman.

Herman got a discount from Wilbers for building at least 10 at one time. Plus they will build for your weight and riding style. With enough interest maybe Herman will do another group buy?
Stupid question time. For both?

·
Super Moderator
17,037 Posts
I'm out of the video business.

We rode the Dragon several times today and the Skyway three times.

What improvements?

1) Better than new handling with irregular surfaces affecting the bike less.
2) Less dive in front end on braking or upside of road dip.
3) Better planted feel.

Downside?
1) The solid feel may be perceived by some riders as conveying too much feel. Less luxurious maybe? Less 1970s Cadillac ride.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm sure RL will give a much more detailed report on he Wilbers. Today was Hwy 129 "The Dragon" day and for my ride I found the bike to be more "planted" less dive and side movement. I never had a problem with my stock shocks, I just didn't know the ride could be even better.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
One aspect of my Wilbers that I like even more now that I have more time on them is how it feels when on the gas accelerating out of turns. I find I can give it more throttle than before without wheelspin. I guess you could use the term "planted" here as well.

While I can't say it is perfect, it is far better than the stock suspension for me. As I mentioned in ride report shortly after I had them installed my bike doesn't pull left near as bad as it did before.

Another term I would use to describe the new Wilbers setup is "taut" without being harsh. For me the new comfort mode is a little still comfortable but much better controlled. I find the normal mode is what I now use about 90% of the time whereas before I was in sport all the time except on the super slab. Now I'd save the sport mode for either a track day or mountain roads.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hate to think of new shocks already but I'm pushing my 18k service soon. If its got to be then might as well be Wilburs.
RL is probably back in Texas now with a cold one, but if he was doing the skyway three times and the tail of the dragon several times. The snake is a better road then the dragon. 421 between Mountain City and Shady Valley. Lot less traffic, the tail is more circus

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Downside?
1) The solid feel may be perceived by some riders as conveying too much feel. Less luxurious maybe? Less 1970s Cadillac ride.
With only a few thousand miles on my GT I won't be considering this upgrade for some time. However, your summary is of interest, especially the above comment.

I've always loathed the loosey-goosey feel of those 70s Cadillacs. Even the ghetto Escalade (truly a disgusting SUV - meaning insipid "bling" throughout) my in-laws drive has that sloppy steering. That's why I've always enjoyed Porsche and BMW cars with tight, responsive handling.

Assume the new shocks provide a more tight and planted handling? Look forward to you expounding on the subject when time allows.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I hate to think of new shocks already but I'm pushing my 18k service soon. If its got to be then might as well be Wilburs.
RL is probably back in Texas now with a cold one, but if he was doing the skyway three times and the tail of the dragon several times. The snake is a better road then the dragon. 421 between Mountain City and Shady Valley. Lot less traffic, the tail is more circus
No question about it 421 is a greaaaat road. I've never seen another car on it

Well maybe one

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I prefer the Snake over the Dragon for less traffic and more verticle as well. Love them both but the Dragon is best taken until catching slow traffic and then U turning and going the other way.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Question for the group, should the ESA unit fail under warranty, will BMW replace the only ESA unit ? Generally speaking, they replace the whole assembly which will include the shock.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
exactly :( tghis was a concern of mine before getting the Wilburs, but i just figured BMW has been doing the ESA thing for a while now so I'm hoping they have it worked out. you don't hear of a lot of esa failures, but you do hear of quite a few shocks going bad.

·
Registered
271 Posts
One other good thing about the Wilbers are they are rebuildable while the stock ones aren't.
Not true, WP of Germany won't do it but WP of UK will. Hyper pro also makes a shock that is compatible with the ESA unit with a five years warranty with custom setups. My son has had 2 K bikes with ESA's rebuilt.

·
Super Moderator
17,037 Posts
Four days of riding on every road surface has me convinced that this was a good purchase. My K1600GT is better than new now. Added grip on wet and dry roads. We exceeded 60 degree lean angles hundreds of times. I found complete control and security on all the long fast sweepers.

Herman has one preorder set a available configured for a GTL with a geared up rider weighing 225 lbs.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts