BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Over this side of the pond the price is £1996 gulp! They expect to have them here towards the end of August start of September, and they are type approved, so noise levels will not be in the Harley league. They do look good though and that’s the reason I ordered them.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Over this side of the pond the price is £1996 gulp! They expect to have them here towards the end of August start of September, and they are type approved, so noise levels will not be in the Harley league. They do look good though and that’s the reason I ordered them.
Will they sound better than the stock B exhaust?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
$2295.00 for 2 slip on mufflers?? For crying out loud!! I just bought a new full 309 stainless steel Mopar/Borla exhaust system for my Challenger RT for $399.00!!!
I gotta pass....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Will they sound better than the stock B exhaust?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Hoping they do, but being fully road legal it probably won’t b a lot louder but maybe have a bit more character to it.Might be a good omen the bike has arrived early, picking it up on Saturday sooo maybe the silencers will be early as well lol.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
please provide pics and first impressions once you get the system.
Difficulties with installation, line up with bike and mounting points, etc.
And, of course, your impressions of the sound.

will probably order one, once I read your review..

·
Registered
28 Posts
At this stage I don't have a sound clip but I can give you some guidance. A mate of mine has a Remus exhaust for his GA and it sounds really good. Because I didn't want to spend the $s I decided to drill my OEM exhausts. I started by undoing the 2 screws on each exhaust to remove the tip which gives better access. The blocked off ports are the two upper and two lower ports on each side (see image). I then did the wrong thing with the two upper ports and tried to drill 17mm holes with a good quality bi-metal cobalt hole saw. After about 3 hours and 3 hole saws destroyed I had two holes in the upper ports. The sound was deeper but not significant. I then changed to a 25 mm hole saw and using a lubricating paste redid the top holes and the 2 lower ports. This took me 1/2 hour and the one hole saw was still semi ok. Don't use pressure but let the drill find it's own way. Once you start the drilling, remove the centre guide bit. It will wobble a little but will settle down if you don't use pressure. The end of the "dummy" exhaust ports are crimped and the crimp is about 1" long, hence the reason why the first attempt took so long. The smaller hole saw and the bit guide had to drill through this 1" of stainless steel. The 1" holes that I drilled on the second attempt only had to cut through about 2mm of metal. The sound is much deeper and is pretty good now but not as pure and clean as the Remus. I do notice that when accelerating there is a drone but when cruising it is fine. On a long trip it could become an issue. The attached images should explain it further. When I get some time I'll add a sound clip. I would suggest doing one on each side and then assess the sound. If not enough do the other two. The "slug" on two of the ports fell into the body but with effort and a long magnet and very long nose pliers I was able to remove them with some patience. For this reason, drill the lowers first as the bits will fall to the lowest point. The weld is magnetic and hence the efficacy of the magnet.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like the Quiet pipes on the GA, I have a 2018 Harley RG Spec and I have 4" Cans on it no Cats and it isn't loud but you can here it when Throttle is Cracked ... I like the 2 bikes to be Completely different and they are for sure, I also like the big Mufflers on the GA it fills the void between the side Boxes and the ground, may not be the best looking set up but it will do. Not interested in a couple more Ponies... she's got plenty under the hood...lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
My k1600b has annoying (but minimal) decel pop under hard deceleration, fuel setting "ROAD", worse on "DYNAMIC" to the point of I never use "DYNAMIC". Dealer reviewed (Ventura BMW-CA), road, tested, called factory, condition declaration: "They all do that, no remedy available" It also has an annoying burble (same decel condition), but it's adequately squelched with the very quiet stock mufflers. I'm hoping another forum member (any k1600) that has replaced their stock exhaust system with the Akrapovic system can respond on any decel pop or burble audibly increase or hopefully decrease with their install. Thanks for taking me serious and for all pertinent responses.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My k1600b has annoying (but minimal) decel pop under hard deceleration, fuel setting "ROAD", worse on "DYNAMIC" to the point of I never use "DYNAMIC". Dealer reviewed (Ventura BMW-CA), road, tested, called factory, condition declaration: "They all do that, no remedy available" It also has an annoying burble (same decel condition), but it's adequately squelched with the very quiet stock mufflers. I'm hoping another forum member (any k1600) that has replaced their stock exhaust system with the Akrapovic system can respond on any decel pop or burble audibly increase or hopefully decrease with their install. Thanks for taking me serious and for all pertinent responses.
Had Akrapovic silencers fitted yesterday to my K1600B, they are not much if any louder than the stock pipes, but would say the note has changed it now has a slightly deeper note to my ears. I only managed a short run so will probably take a good run for the ecu to fully adjust if it needs to. The decel pop is still audible and the burble is also still present, neither are any worse or better than with the stock silencers. I did try to post a video but file would not upload will try again later to upload it.
As both of these conditions are going to require a lot of expense to eradicate perhaps, a Schuberth helmet and good ear plugs might be an option and a lot cheaper. Good luck

41 - 51 of 51 Posts