BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Remote Eastern Washington State has many twisties: this one heads to the Snake River from Kahlotus
I had no idea Washington state had any topography like that, even in the East. My wife has been to the NW part, so of course, I had the wet/evergreen thing in mind. And about half my riding is done where there's no cell signal, so I can relate. It's nice to break the tether for awhile. :tb

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I had no idea Washington state had any topography like that, even in the East. My wife has been to the NW part, so of course, I had the wet/evergreen thing in mind. And about half my riding is done where there's no cell signal, so I can relate. It's nice to break the tether for awhile. :tb
Yeah, pretty much the eastern half of Oregon and Washington (east of the Cascade Mountains) are like that....very arid and widely varied terrain.

·
Registered
635 Posts
A satellite two-way texting with GPS could save one's bacon. They can be purchased or even rented if one doesn't go off cell grid except for one-off trips. I'd like to have one that could be tied into an air vest - triggered if the air vest deploys in an accident and I don't respond and turn it off within a few minutes, for example. Some cars have emergency automatic accident notifications, but I haven't seen it for motorcycles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
261 is a fun road too if you haven't been on it yet.
261 is a great road until you end up behind the traffic that stacks up going out to Palouse Falls. There are alot of other good roads on the north and the south side of the snake river that are worth riding also. Lower Monumental road that is off of Lyons ferry road and then Harvey Shaw road into Walla Walla is worth a ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I had no idea Washington state had any topography like that, even in the East"
E WA is nothing like W WA! Furthermore, E WA is at least 3 times as large as the area W of the Cascades, same for OR. If you like twisties, you will like E WA and E OR!

"A satellite two-way texting with GPS could save one's bacon"
True, but my soul has been tied to a cell phone for so long that I'm fine with intermittent freedom!

"261 is a great road until you end up behind the traffic that stacks up going out to Palouse Falls"
Ever since Palouse Falls became WA States' official Falls, traffic has increased A LOT, but with a 1600 GTL, passing it is usually not a problem. The N Cascades Hiway is also very beautiful, but there are so many people on that road that it makes no difference if you can pass them or not....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Remote Eastern Washington State has many twisties: this one heads to the Snake River from Kahlotus
Yeah, pretty much the eastern half of Oregon and Washington (east of the Cascade Mountains) are like that....very arid and widely varied terrain.
Glacial Lake Missoula created most of that topography. Pretty neat story, actually.

Glacial Lake Missoula and the Ice Age Floods

:serious:

·
Premium Member
863 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is hard to imagine that most all of the hills in the Palouse, south to Dayton and Walla Walla were once covered in water. The soils in this area are all water deposited "Walla Walla Silt Loam". I can take you to road cuts where the soil is easily 100 feet deep, and some of the best farmland in the western USA.

This pic was taken on the ridge between Genesee and Julietta Idaho, with the Camas Prairie in the background on the right hand side, above the taller tree. This area is just upstream from the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake rivers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I remember driving across Washington from west to east about 30 years ago and I was really amazed by the change in topography as I made my way from one side to the other.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More twisties in E WA and N Idaho. This is the old "Spiral Highway" at Lewiston, ID, a very steep and crooked grade out of the Snake River to the top which is the Southern end of the Palouse region.
Here's a link https://roadsnw.com/rnw/15 , but the old highway goes up 2,000 feet in 8 miles!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
More twisties in E WA and N Idaho. This is the old "Spiral Highway" at Lewiston, ID, a very steep and crooked grade out of the Snake River to the top which is the Southern end of the Palouse region.
Here's a link https://roadsnw.com/rnw/15 , but the old highway goes up 2,000 feet in 8 miles!
The bottom portion is great. The top portion is great road if and only if the temperature is below that which the tarsnakes come out of hibernation. About 1/2 way up, everyone in my group eased way up as our bikes started dancing all over the road with every tarsnake.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes, The Spiral Highway has some really crappy pavement. Better to ride over to Asotin and take Rattlesnake Grade south.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My recent (2 days ago) ride up and back down the Spiral Highway was uneventful. The pavement isn't new but there were no potholes nor anything that I saw that would have to be dodged. Was I at +30? Nope!

My riding style is not aggressive when I'm on pavement I'm not on every day. These are very rural roads I travel, many of them I've been on literally a hundred times, but you never know if a tractor has drug out a bunch of big clods or globs of mud, or if a rock has fallen onto the roadway. Deer, especially during hunting season, go straight up or down these hills and gravel or worse could now be on a curve that wasn't there 5 minutes ago.

That said - this is a really cool old grade that shouldn't be missed, IMHO!
Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another great ride in this vicinity is the Old Winchester Grade road which takes off from US95 just east of Culdesac, ID and takes you to the town of Winchester on the Camas Prairie. If you think the Spiral Hiway is bad, this one is much worse as far as pavement condition, but the views are amazing.

Most of the guardrails are also long gone so if you elect to do 30+ on this one, it might be your last!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts