BMW K1600 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 191 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Also, carmakers have been downsizing engines for a while now, so it makes sense that the trend would eventually catch up to the bike market too.
Tell that to Dodge and my 392 Hemi Scatpack. Or…the new 2020 Mustang GT500. And on and on.

The only reason that car manufacturers are downsizing their engines, is because of the efficient adaptation of Turbos and Superchargers. There are more cars being built now, that do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds since the invention of the Fred Flintstones foot powered car. Vroom vroom.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I'm thinking we will see a 4cyl turbo next with an automatic transmission option. My guess and I'm sticking to it.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Shift cam might be difficult as I think it adds a bit of width, which is something a transversely mounted straight six in a motorcycle doesn't need.

To be honest by 2021 the K1600 will be due a serious refresh/replacement. It'll be 10 years old by then. I can't imagine BMW would leave the market to Honda. I'm sure there will be a replacement.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is there any market for the K1600 outside of the USA, Canada etc?
79,000 [oops - corrected figure below] K1600s sold in the UK in total vs over 294K RT1200's in the same period [that figure is wrong too]. So not a big market, but substantial enough. [source:https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/all-vehicles-veh01#registered-for-the-first-time] No idea what they sold in the rest of Europe.

...where we have the roads and space to ride them.
Europe is quite sizeable, and we've got roads, some of them have even got more than one lane. I can see how one might get the impression that Europe is quite small when looking at a map where the USA is placed in the middle but for the geographically embarrassed, I've attached a map; Europe's the blue one.

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
79,000 K1600s sold in the UK in total vs over 294K RT1200's in the same period. So not a big market, but substantial enough. [source:https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/all-vehicles-veh01#registered-for-the-first-time] No idea what they sold in the rest of Europe.

Europe is quite sizeable, and we've got roads, some of them have even got more than one lane. I can see how one might get the impression that Europe is quite small when looking at a map where the USA is placed in the middle but for the geographically embarrassed, I've attached a map; Europe's the blue one.

Joe
True, but Europe is a continent and the USA is a country. I think when we are talking about largeness, we speak about density not miles. I can't think of a place I have been in Europe were there are wide open roads for miles without some sort of houses and/or businesses along with the accompanying traffic. In West Texas (part of a state) I can ride 300 miles with only 3 or 4 roads crossing the road I am on. I have ridden across six countries in one day in Europe with time left over, for a nice meal. You would be hard pressed to ride across any three countries in North America in a day. For the geographically embarrassed, there are only three.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
That Seems A Lot.....

79,000 K1600s sold in the UK? That seems a lot!! I confess I haven't interrogated the data yet but just a gut feel.

·
Registered
269 Posts
79,000 K1600s sold in the UK? That seems a lot!! I confess I haven't interrogated the data yet but just a gut feel.
Not sure which dataset @joe-r was looking at, but I make it 3,024 in total which breaks down to:

• 199 x Bagger / GA
  • 1,773 x GT (all variants)
  • 1,052 x GTL (all variants)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes, you are right - I was adding up cumulative registrations. Currently registered - about 2000. My apologies for the confusion.

That will teach me to guesstimate before putting down a figure.

Joe

·
Registered
655 Posts
79,000 K1600s sold in the UK in total vs over 294K RT1200's in the same period. So not a big market, but substantial enough. [source:https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/all-vehicles-veh01#registered-for-the-first-time] No idea what they sold in the rest of Europe.

Joe
I think there must be something wrong with those stats Joe, the figures are far less than that. Here are the DVLA figures, OTR & SORN .............

............. https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=bmw+k1600&commit=Search#

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Heres a thought for you..

If they can make large 6 and 8 cylinder car engines euro5 compliant.... WTF cant they do it with a small one made for a motorcycle?

Yea, I know right.. things that you you go hmmm.. :puzzled: :dunno:
There are many options all of which probably require a new engine design. VVT (vanos or valvetronic) as has been pointed out will get them to the next level, and from an overall design perspective its probably the smallest change that they can do with their current engine direction. They could also (additionally) go to high pressure fuel injection which would allow them more latitude in fuel delivery (greater control of the fuel delivery envelope) but that would be most useful with forced air induction. Second best would be a smaller engine with some form of forced induction, its a proven way to work with off the shelf components that delivery efficiency at low pressure and performance when it is needed. For the bikes intended use case I would suspect a VVT solution although we can always hope for something more exotic.

·
Registered
172 Posts
For the geographically embarrassed, there are only three.

@jfink Anyone from south of Mexico and North of Panama might want to argue that point as might a few Caribbean Islanders.

You would be hard pressed to ride across any three countries in North America in a day.
I grant you that riding through any 3 of the 23 North American Continent's countries in a single day would be something of a challenge even if you did include the nine dependent territories.

Joe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
From my home in Ontario to Dawson City, Yukon is a 10 day journey.

To get to Manitoba (next province to the west) from my house takes 2 1/2 days.

This pic is of a sign on the Cassiar highway in northern British Columbia on my way home from Yukon/Alaska.

We have some long distances here.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
If BMW can put a 500HP 6 cylinder motor in the X3/4m models and make it euro 6 compliant, I think some minor adjustments to the K16 engine which will be due for an update by then won't be a problem for their engineers.
BMW won't want to give any ground to any other competitor.

·
Registered
278 Posts
True, but Europe is a continent and the USA is a country. I think when we are talking about largeness, we speak about density not miles. I can't think of a place I have been in Europe were there are wide open roads for miles without some sort of houses and/or businesses along with the accompanying traffic.
First, I want to say that Europe is a beautiful place and in my several trips there, I've really enjoyed driving through several different countries.

BUT, density is almost everywhere. Most of the time, I found myself thinking how frustrated I would be if I had my GTL there and was attempting to cover long distances in a day. There are vast sections of the western USA where it's mostly empty and I can cover 800-1000 miles per day averaging 70+ mph. That's why I bought a GTL in the first place.

Still, I'm glad our European brothers enjoy their 1600's as much as we enjoy ours. I hope the demise of K1600 is a bad rumor that will disappear quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
When counting North American countries, don't forget the two French Islands off Newfoundland, Miquelon and St Pierre!

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Found it, I remember reading this from a few months ago, it interviews engineers from Ricardo, who designed the K1600 engine for BMW, about their work on getting Euro 5 compliance for motorcycle manufactures.
https://amcn.com.au/editorial/euro-5-explained/
The changes proscribed are not minor. Yes it is all possible. While I doubt BMW wants to give up the large sport-tourer segment keeping the current engine the way it is simply won't happen. At minimum they need a new head/catalyst combination which probably means new engine casework and they have to find a way to make it all fit in the current very tight quarters.

21 - 40 of 191 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.