BMW K1600 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Greta - whatever we may think personally, you cannot deny the fact that we all know who she is & at least some of her 'message'. Hence the proclamation by Time magazine seems entirely valid to me.

My take, FWIW, is that she is being used as a puppet of someone?, presumably at the behest of her parents. Witness the very deliberate retro scandi look. This has been going on since she was 15, a time when surely she should have been in education, not sailing transatlantic, speaking at conferences or cavorting with celebs (where she looks totally out of her depth). The trouble is, as others have suggested, she doesn't talk to the major polluters of the planet equally, in a balanced manner - rather she enjoys delivering a shrill, tired monologue in an attempt to simply scare the World into action. Who is really listening I wonder - nice fodder for the media right now though, brings interest from across the World for conference organisers & saves us from the monotony of the POTUS impeachment hearings & UK Elections/Brexit. I just hope there is a way forward for this young lady, a future without the press pack bearing down on her 24/7, otherwise it will end in tears.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Really? Your pushback is her approach and talking points?

She is a 15 year old who believes in something and is showing leadership. I admire her tenacity.

She will very likely be remembered long after you and I are forgotten. So, you just sound pissy in your argument against the little girl who is making a difference when you and I are not.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hitler believed in something and showed leadership, Mao Zedong believed in something and showed leadership, Castro believed in something and showed leadership. All of the above exhibited intense tenacity. They will probably be remembered long after Greta. None of this is a qualifier for admiration or sainthood. I could not possibly care less about some coddled, puppet of the UN, but I find it very interesting how a little media coverage can turn someone of questionable knowledge into a pedestal deserving recipient, whatever.
Rick

·
Registered
2,574 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well, climate change is a scary thing. In a weird way, it's a positive thing that human activity is affecting it because we can do something about that. It will take overcoming the propaganda of the world wide fossil fuel industry, who have a huge vested interest in discrediting the science-based reality of human activity affecting the climate and keeping the world dependent on them. Apparently, many on this forum believe in the myth that there is a huge international cabal of scientists that are trying to perpetrate a hoax about greenhouse gasses and climate change. Exactly what Putin and his ilk want you to believe.

All this cheap derogatory talk about Greta is simply character assassination when somebody doesn't like the message. She is very courageous to be doing what she is doing knowing full well that she will be subjected to all sorts of personal criticism. It is absolute nonsense that what she is doing is a "look at me" stunt or she is being used as some sort of pawn. Of course she has the support and help of like-minded people. She is an emerging world leader. She picks the battles that might have the most impact: Going to the United Nations, etc., instead of beating her head silently against a Chinese wall. I stand by my admiration of her and people like her that are trying to save the planet from those that would sacrifice our children's future for present day profit.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hitler believed in something and showed leadership, Mao Zedong believed in something and showed leadership, Castro believed in something and showed leadership. All of the above exhibited intense tenacity. They will probably be remembered long after Greta. None of this is a qualifier for admiration or sainthood. I could not possibly care less about some coddled, puppet of the UN, but I find it very interesting how a little media coverage can turn someone of questionable knowledge into a pedestal deserving recipient, whatever.
Rick
Best post ever! Well said.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
She's a spoiled little brainwashed tool of the left who has no idea about what she's talking about. I pity her.
Where's the Dislike button?

Apparently, making a clever pun about Barron and barons is outrageous child abuse which has no place in politics, dammit! And it deserves an immediate apology!

But personally attacking a 15-year-old because her vision of saving the planet and all the people might just cut into your profit margin or even throwing innocent kids in cages is just business as usual...

Something's rotten here for sure, and it dämn well isn't the Person of the Year...

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
The road to **** is paved with good intentions
So we should just never try anything at all?

Because that's working out so well for everyone...

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I've been to China, thanks.

And have seen firsthand how they've moving in the right direction. Slowly, and with plenty of resistance from those who care more for money than people or the planet, but they are making noticeable strides forward.

If all you're looking for is a simple excuse that sadly claims "well why should we even try when others are still so messy" then you've already failed here...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Rick
Y'all are missing the point entirely. Greta's conviction, tenacity and leadership are to be admired because of what she believes in. You know, like Washington, Lincoln, FDR, MLK, Gandhi, Mandela, ...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts

Apparently, making a clever pun about Barron and barons is outrageous child abuse which has no place in politics, dammit! And it deserves an immediate apology!

But personally attacking a 15-year-old because her vision of saving the planet and all the people might just cut into your profit margin or even throwing innocent kids in cages is just business as usual...

Something's rotten here for sure, and it dämn well isn't the Person of the Year...
Barrron Trump (like Malia and Sasha Obama and all other minor children of politicians) is simply the child of a public figure who hasn't looked for the limelight and tried to position himself as some sort of expert in the public domain. Greta (most likely at the urging of her parents) has. Plus, I said I pity her. That's because I believe she's being led down the silly path she's taken, by others. Regardless, once someone puts themselves in the position that she has -- whatever her age -- are you telling me I should just shut up and bow down to her opinions because she's young? I won't do it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Y'all are missing the point entirely. Greta's conviction, tenacity and leadership are to be admired because of what she believes in. You know, like Washington, Lincoln, FDR, MLK, Gandhi, Mandela, ...
BS! If I think she's WRONGHEADED in her beliefs, why should I admire her?

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
So we should just never try anything at all?

Because that's working out so well for everyone...
My thoughts are fairly well documented here in various posts. I did not suggest or say that we should never try anything.

All I see are sound bites. Politicians and others making snappy comments making it sound like a simple problem to fix. Put a carbon tax on it. Change from oil to some other fuel. It's easy they say. I know it is not easy and I know it will not be quick. My concern is knowing that what will the future be like?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Suit yourself. I don't argue with all caps.
Sorry, I should have taken the time to use bold instead of caps. Maybe, you should go to your safe space.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts

I'm shocked you're taking this angle. These two are so unalike, you can't possibly be making this comparison with a straight face.

In one, the media and others are drawing the kid into the discussion. In the other, the kid put herself out in the spotlight in a big way. Like others have said, she's reciting the words of someone else, not her own thoughts. She's being used as a puppet. You should be more outraged at that than anything.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sorry, I should have taken the time to use bold instead of caps. Maybe, you should go to your safe space.
I'm perfectly comfortable here, thanks. You can use bold or colors or whatever you want. What I meant was it is pointless to argue with somebody that thinks that saying something in all caps (or whatever) increases the validity of what is being said.

121 - 140 of 191 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.