BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have 45000km on my K1600GTL. I've done roughly half the oil changes and half done by the dealer.

In all cases where I've done the oil change I've followed the procedure as documented by RL Lemke.

Yesterday, I did an oil change

• Bike on a level surface on the center stand
  • Removed the Oil pan plug and the inner sump plug and filter.
  • Replaced the filter
  • Reinstalled the sump plug
  • Reinstalled the oil pan plug
  • Filled roughly 3.75 litres of oil, ran the motor a few seconds to drop the oil level in the sump.
  • Then filled in the rest to the recommended 4.5litres.
  • Ran the bike until the fan came on
  • Waited the 1 minute before checking oil
  • Not a drop on the dipstick
I tried running the engine and cycling through some gears on the centre stand. Still nothing on the dipstick. There are no oil leaks anywhere.

Any ideas as to what could be happening?

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
You forgot to put in the crankcase plug (the one up inside), and it's all in the sump?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the RL Plug and I torqued it to 12nm as per spec.

I guess I'm going to drain the oil into a clean bucket and run thought the process again. I spoke to the dealer and they are stumped as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!
I'll retighten the super plug.
I thought I was missing a liter as well. But I have all the bottles standing there. 4.75 litres has gone in.

I've been reading through the forum trying to get a clear understanding of the how the oil moves through the engine and what the upper chamber is that the dipstick is reading. I have found the oil flow diagram someone posted.
Can any of you give a one simple summary description of the oil flow and what the various chambers are for.
I have read where guys have run the bike without the upper oil plug by mistake and what I gather was this would only affect the oil flowing to the cooling radiator.

I'll take it for a short ride as long as you think I'm not risking the engine. I know 4.75litres went in.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I find the description a bit confusing.
The oil reservoir is the tank up inside the engine into which the RL Super Plug turns into. It seems like from here the oil goes to the oil cooler and back into the oil pan (bottom of the engine) - am I correct so far?
So for those people that have had their reservoir plug fall out or the dealer forgot to reinstall, only cooling of the oil is affected - correct?
The engine lubricant has oil pulled from the oil pan (bottom of the engine) and pushed to the reset of the engine - correct

The oil sensor and dipstick seem to read the level in the reservoir NOT the oil pan - Correct?

Sorry in advance if I'm off base.

·
Administrator
17,921 Posts
The crankcase oil is held in place using the internal oil plug, just like any engine.

That the crankcase is located on top of the oil sump is a matter of design.

Running the engine without the crankcase oil plug will starve the spinning crankshaft and pistons of critical lubrication.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

·
Administrator
17,921 Posts
The crankcase is flooded by one of the oil pumps, with the level maintained by the overflow back into the sump. The oil level allows for the splash lubrication of the cylinders and piston rod ends.

Can one ride without the proper oil level? Sure, for a while.

Can any crankcase oil plug come loose and fall down into the forks of the sump oil plug? Sure, but I haven't seen this happen. We are left without a follow-up post by Blackfin about his experience either.

The low 12 NM torque for the BMW crankcase oil plug is because of the ease with which the plug can be stripped. I prefer to tighten my Super Plug more because it is far more rugged.

In the development of the 6 generations of Super Plug I changed the oil so many times. Many times with only a couple hundred miles on the oil. In no event did I ever find that the plug was loose.

Besides, if there is no oil retained in the crankcase, the sump oil level will be about a quart higher, thus overflowing when the dipstick is removed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK. I'll drain my oil and check on the plug, then refill and see what happens. Really odd as I haven't had this issue before. I'll let you know the result. Thanks for responding and all of the helpful info you bring to the forum.

·
Administrator
17,921 Posts
I would not drain the oil. Like I said, if the crankcase oil plug was out the oil would overflow the dipstick hole.

Go out for a ride. When the engine is fully warm, leave the engine idling, place bike on centerstand, get ready to check the oil, shut the engine off, wait 60 seconds, check the oil level.

·
Administrator
17,921 Posts
The point of waiting the 60 seconds is for any foam in the oil to dissipate. Fun to look into the dipstick hole and watch this happen.

You should be able to see your oil level with a good flashlight.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts