BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 K1600B Grand America
584 Posts
I see two ways your symptom could occur:
1. The small plug is not in place, allowing oil to rise back up into the sump area., which would drop the level in the rear section of the tank.
2. The sump scavenge pump isn't working, leaving all the oil in the sump, but this would result in a low oil warning and no lubrication because the tank would be empty.
Don't forget #3... which was the case... Full amount of oil not put in due to actual volume not equal to labeled amount on oil bottles ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I have 45000km on my K1600GTL. I've done roughly half the oil changes and half done by the dealer.

In all cases where I've done the oil change I've followed the procedure as documented by RL Lemke.

Yesterday, I did an oil change

• Bike on a level surface on the center stand
  • Removed the Oil pan plug and the inner sump plug and filter.
  • Replaced the filter
  • Reinstalled the sump plug
  • Reinstalled the oil pan plug
  • Filled roughly 3.75 litres of oil, ran the motor a few seconds to drop the oil level in the sump.
  • Then filled in the rest to the recommended 4.5litres.
  • Ran the bike until the fan came on
  • Waited the 1 minute before checking oil
  • Not a drop on the dipstick
I tried running the engine and cycling through some gears on the centre stand. Still nothing on the dipstick. There are no oil leaks anywhere.

Any ideas as to what could be happening?
Draining the sump then adding oil to the 1600 takes 5qts and a little more for the dip stick when your bike has higher mileage this is what happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I have 45000km on my K1600GTL. I've done roughly half the oil changes and half done by the dealer.

In all cases where I've done the oil change I've followed the procedure as documented by RL Lemke.

Yesterday, I did an oil change

• Bike on a level surface on the center stand
  • Removed the Oil pan plug and the inner sump plug and filter.
  • Replaced the filter
  • Reinstalled the sump plug
  • Reinstalled the oil pan plug
  • Filled roughly 3.75 litres of oil, ran the motor a few seconds to drop the oil level in the sump.
  • Then filled in the rest to the recommended 4.5litres.
  • Ran the bike until the fan came on
  • Waited the 1 minute before checking oil
  • Not a drop on the dipstick
I tried running the engine and cycling through some gears on the centre stand. Still nothing on the dipstick. There are no oil leaks anywhere.

Any ideas as to what could be happening?
Did you touch the dipstick? New oil can be very difficult to see. FWIW.

·
Premium Member
2022 K1600GT
74 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
My 1973 Norton 750 Commando and my 1975 Honda CB750 had a dry sump. Many motorcycles from the "old days" had a dry sump to keep the oil cool(er) and to allow for a greater total oil capacity without having a giant engine. Most British bikes had one, and even HD's which still have them. Some had a separate tank, some used the inside of the frame to store the hot oil.

And today, there are aftermarket kits to convert from a wet sump to a dry sump.

Back then you had to be careful not to add oil and overfill the engine. Yup, over 40 years ago it was a problem.

Here's the old Norton Commando dry sump system:

Attachments

81 - 88 of 88 Posts