1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
doing a stoppie onto just the front wheel removed so much braking, though seems to have assisted in lift and clear over the vehicle

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
At impact the car was doing 40MPH I'm guessing the bike hauled it down to about 20MPH so probably around a 60MPH impact. I'm also guessing the speed limit on that road is about 45MPH so if the cop had lit the car up the accident wouldn't have happened in the first place. Which doesn't surprise me in the least. We have a no cell phone use law here in Florida placed in force since 1/1/20 and I still see people passing cops on their phones with no action from the cops. The legislature that passed the law put a $30 value of a person's life, because that's the cost of the ticket. Hardly a deterrent.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Another reason I am glad to have started wearing a Helite Turtle Airbag vest all the time over my Aerostich suit

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
We have a no cell phone use law here in Florida placed in force since 1/1/20 and I still see people passing cops on their phones with no action from the cops. The legislature that passed the law put a $30 value of a person's life, because that's the cost of the ticket. Hardly a deterrent.
Here in GA the law has been in effect for a couple of years now - Most people still text and drive and talk and drive. What few police we see on the roads have little time to enforce the law.

Yesterday, I narrowly avoided a bad wreck when an idiot decided to come to a complete stop and turn left from a travel lane (45-60 mph travel speeds). As I passed her, I glanced over and saw that she had her phone to her head and she was oblivious to the carnage that she almost caused.

As the old saying goes, "You can't fix stupid".

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
If you ride, YOU are the one who is responsible for not becoming a victim !

In Florida, particularly where I work as a volunteer with the local sheriff's dept, the deputies are limited and don't have time to stop traffic violators. (except motor officers) Too many accidents and family disputes to investigate and clean up.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
In Ontario the fines and potential escalation penalties were raised last year.

First conviction:
a fine of $615, if settled out of court (includes a victim surcharge and the court fee)
a fine of up to $1,000 if a summons is received or if you fight the ticket in court and lose
three demerit points
3-day suspension

More importantly, the door has been opened to make it easier to convict the offender of careless driving since it is now easier to link distracted driving to careless.

If convicted of careless driving, you may receive an additional:
six demerit points
fines up to $2,000 and/or
a jail term of six months
a licence suspension of up to two years

6 demerit points in Ontario is probably going to give you a pretty stiff increase in insurance (could more than double) and 9 will basically make you uninsurable unless you happen to also be wealthy.

There are also unmarked vehicles who have catching distracted drivers as a priority in some areas being tested. These are new, very high tech vehicles which use AI to catch drivers talking on their phones resulting in the equivalent of a red light camera for cell phone abusers.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
First conviction:
a fine of $615, if settled out of court (includes a victim surcharge and the court fee)
If there is no crash, who is the victim?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm also guessing the speed limit on that road is about 45MPH so if the cop had lit the car up the accident wouldn't have happened in the first place. Which doesn't surprise me in the least.
Speed limit would have been 60mph on that road. Footage was not from a police car, it was dash-cam footage from the car that hit the bike and also from the car following him.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Anymore, even riding the backroads like I do, almost 3 out of 10 rides involves a driver in my lane. Heck, it just happened again two days ago.

I don’t tell my SO about most of them when I arrive home...as I’ve already made it home, so no need to worry her. But, it’s A LOT more prevalent now, than it’s ever been in my 50+ years of riding...and I don’t suppose the trend will reverse itself anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Anymore, even riding the backroads like I do, almost 3 out of 10 rides involves a driver in my lane. Heck, it just happened again two days ago.

I don’t tell my SO about most of them when I arrive home...as I’ve already made it home, so no need to worry her. But, it’s A LOT more prevalent now, than it’s ever been in my 50+ years of riding...and I don’t suppose the trend will reverse itself anytime soon.
The same in FLATlorida.... It's a rare ride that I don't avoid another motorist or someone trying to merge, enter traffic or just daydreaming while operating their vehicle. It's too easy to be doing other things while driving and many motorist are DWD (driving while being distracted.).

Bottom line is do not allow yourself to be a victim.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
The same in FLATlorida.... It's a rare ride that I don't avoid another motorist or someone trying to merge, enter traffic or just daydreaming while operating their vehicle. It's too easy to be doing other things while driving and many motorist are DWD (driving while being distracted.).

Bottom line is do not allow yourself to be a victim.
Best thing to see while riding in Florida:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
In Ontario the fines and potential escalation penalties were raised last year.

First conviction:
a fine of up to $1,000 if a summons is received or if you fight the ticket in court and lose
three demerit points
3-day suspension

More importantly, the door has been opened to make it easier to convict the offender of careless driving since it is now easier to link distracted driving to careless.

If convicted of careless driving, you may receive an additional:
six demerit points
fines up to $2,000 and/or
a jail term of six months
a licence suspension of up to two years

6 demerit points in Ontario is probably going to give you a pretty stiff increase in insurance (could more than double) and 9 will basically make you uninsurable unless you happen to also be wealthy.

There are also unmarked vehicles who have catching distracted drivers as a priority in some areas being tested. These are new, very high tech vehicles which use AI to catch drivers talking on their phones resulting in the equivalent of a red light camera for cell phone abusers.
With these new increases in the severity of distracted driving insurance companies will cancel your insurance at renewal. This causes you to get new insurance at a facilities rate. In other words your cost to insure will go up by a magnitude. It is the same with impaired driving charges.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts