BMW K1600 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
70 Posts
Keep in mind that as altitude goes up octane requirement goes down, that is why no 93 in the Mile High City only 91.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Keep in mind that as altitude goes up octane requirement goes down, that is why no 93 in the Mile High City only 91.
91 here in AZ and where I live it isn't high altitude. Back in NY, I could get 93-94.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I just reloaded Stage 1 and went for a ride. Rolled onto WOT and did not hear any pinging with Stage 1. I'll try to stick with Shell or Chevron out here going forward. I can live without Stage 2. The bike makes plenty of snort even without a tune, I just wanted to get rid of the lazy throttle response.

As has been stated, if you only have access to 91 in your area, you might want to seriously reconsider running stage 2. Had I not gone for a ride without ear plugs, I may have never noticed that my bike was pinging under load, which is a little distressing.

I think going forward, I will most likely pass on tunes just for the peace of mind.
It would be good to know if you put Stage 2 back in, and test it with Chevron, or Shell V Power. You've gone so far, why not give your effort a chance to succeed? And this forum a chance to learn something, check it out, and have humanity profit?

·
Registered
55 Posts
That is because in NY you can squeeze one to two octane right out of the air. NJ is good for another four.
IDK. I've had more sinus issues after moving to AZ. Also, they don't have Sunoco here. Or Exxon. I think we get our fuel from CA, which has it's own pollution issues.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Not sure I would call that "lean". Low maybe. If the bike isn't suffering from pre detonation then adding octane booster will only lighten your wallet and really isn't needed. Besides, adding half a tank of 85 to a a previous fill of 91 will still put you at 87-88. The most common times you only find 85 is at elevation where you can't run the motor as hard as you might at lower elevations.
Why would you willingly put 85 octane in your bike without carrying octane booster?

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
70 Posts
IDK. I've had more sinus issues after moving to AZ. Also, they don't have Sunoco here. Or Exxon. I think we get our fuel from CA, which has it's own pollution issues.
Get a good humidifier for your home is is fairly dry here as well and I have sinus issues as well and after adding a humidifier I'm a lot better, not as good as when in Hawaii though. 🤣

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
The land between the compression rings broke.
After taking another look at svfiat's picture, I see that, of course, you're right. Now, I'm very curious what model year his bike is/was. Hey @svfiat, let us know the answer to this, please.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
It would be good to know if you put Stage 2 back in, and test it with Chevron, or Shell V Power. You've gone so far, why not give your effort a chance to succeed? And this forum a chance to learn something, check it out, and have humanity profit?
Good point. I'll give it a try, and post results. The fuel I had in the tank was 91 octane from Mobil.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
70 Posts
I agree even though Mobil is a reputable brand you might have better luck with Shell or Chevron. It would be a shame to remove a tune if you don't have to.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
After taking another look at svfiat's picture, I see that, of course, you're right. Now, I'm very curious what model year his bike is/was. Hey @svfiat, let us know the answer to this, please.
2018 B and it had 38K on the clock running the Bren stage 2 map. Now Bren states that I reported that I didn't hear any pinging and that's true except for the fact that I have severe tinnitus and probably didn't hear it. The fact that the ecm will catch detonation and retard the timing to stop it is correct. But as in every case each time it detonates is a bad thing whether it continues or not doesn't matter the fact that it had detonation is where the problem exists and how many detonations does it take to break a ring land can anyone answer that question...............................

·
Registered
328 Posts
One thing I want to mention, and kinda think that might apply to the K1600, is that European octane ratings are generally 5 higher then US ratings. In the US, the highest rating by state is 93 Octane. So, 95 Octane is not officially sold in the US, although Shell claims 99 octane for their V-Power.

Where does the 95 octane requirement come from for the K1600? Sounds like it is the EU octane rating, to me, as in the US 93 octane is already premium.

One thing I want to mention is that much of the no-name brand gasoline stations buy their gas from wholesalers, many do not even offer hi-test premium for sale. They buy their gas at auction from unknown sources, where you can not be certain that it hasn't been neutered with cheaper ethanol to make a quick buck. The name brand gas stations, like Shell and Mobil and .... have higher quality standards and the chance of them pumping cheap gas bought wholesale from unknown sources are pretty slim. Some states control their commerce better then others. I think it would be safe to say that Texaco gasoline pumped in Texas is truly the Texaco product. Other states, I would not be so sure, depending.....

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, I switched to using California Chevron 91 Octane (with great results) in my BMW car, and as a matter of habit, use the same in my 18' GTL. When I travel out of state, especially in the rural areas of Arizona, Nevada, Utah and Colorado, you don't always have much choice. Pass on the station in front of you at your own peril. I'm guessing some of the gas I've filled up isn't top tier, but my neutered K16 ran just fine.

If you have the tune, that's the beauty of choice. I don't temp myself by testing out a bike that has it. But having to worry about octane and carrying boosters isn't appealing to me. It's one of the handful of reasons Bren is a no-go for me now.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
@ksam, where are you getting your information re Shell V power claiming 99 octane? Is that in the United States? If that was the case I would load Stage 2 in a heartbeat. I use Shell V power out here in CA...91 octane at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
There’s a BP 1/4 mile from my house which has 93. I can’t remember if it is ethanol free. Almost every edit, not BP but Shell I hit between here n the Dragon this past summer had 93. So 93 may be regional. I know 85 is more prevalent in higher altitudes like in CO. With lower atmospheric pressure pre-ignition is less common and therefore motors are in less need to retard ignition, so 91 would be sufficient in my simplistic thinking. Then again, I wouldn’t think pre measured bottles of booster would be that big of a deal to carry and add. A small inconvenience, but I can see where that would be too high a cost to make the tune desirable for some.

Reactions: Goes2fast

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
And secondly the stage 2 map. The stage 2 map incorporates all the stage 1 fixes but adds some extra power (added ignition), more throttle changes, early fans and more,
Is it possible to get the 'early fans' with Stage 1? I would like the fan on my 2018 to come on a little sooner than it does. Been considering adding a manual switch to turn it on when I want, but if it can be included in my Stage 1 tune (being Iron Butters, we do not use Stage 2. 🤣) that would be pretty cool, no pun intended.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts