BMW K1600 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
70 Posts
The 99 rating of Shell V Power is RON which is what they use in Europe. Here we use AKI (Anti-Knock Index) which is an average of RON and MON. 91 AKI = 97 RON and 93 AKI = 99 RON so Shell V Power isn't any higher than the others it just has more detergent additives. Here in the Mile High V Power is 91 just like the others. The drag strip here sells 101 octane unleaded which I run in my Golf R when I run there so the ECU will not cut timing or boost from my stage 2 APR tune that calls for 93 octane or better.

Reactions: Thomas

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Is it possible to get the 'early fans' with Stage 1? I would like the fan on my 2018 to come on a little sooner than it does. Been considering adding a manual switch to turn it on when I want, but if it can be included in my Stage 1 tune (being Iron Butters, we do not use Stage 2. ) that would be pretty cool, no pun intended.
Answer is YES. My first Stage 1 tune included the early on fan. I didn’t ask for that but noticed it on my first ride after the flash to Stage 1. I didn’t care for it so I asked Bren to change both my Stage 1 and 2 back to factory on/off temps. Bren did that for me.

You should be able to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
@ksam, where are you getting your information re Shell V power claiming 99 octane? Is that in the United States? If that was the case I would load Stage 2 in a heartbeat. I use Shell V power out here in CA...91 octane at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GB

US

The official Shell site under Frequently Asked questions does NOT mention RON for V-Power. A clue that the company considers this a touchy subject their lawyers do not find fit to print. But, as tested by a lab in the USA (Europe uses different standards and refineries), from samples taken off the pump, the results are here. Scroll down to V-Power.
In 2015 Shell and BMW struck a deal to develop stuff in conjunction. BMW uses high compression motors over 10:1, so the use of NITRO comes into play as NITRO will not ignite below high compression. The K1600 has a 12.1:1 compression ratio, perfect for burning up clean nitrogen with added power. Lower compression cars do not get the benefit, but the Turbo engines do cause they have hich compressions.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
70 Posts
GB

US

The official Shell site under Frequently Asked questions does NOT mention RON for V-Power. A clue that the company considers this a touchy subject their lawyers do not find fit to print. But, as tested by a lab in the USA (Europe uses different standards and refineries), from samples taken off the pump, the results are here. Scroll down to V-Power.
In 2015 Shell and BMW struck a deal to develop stuff in conjunction. BMW uses high compression motors over 10:1, so the use of NITRO comes into play as NITRO will not ignite below high compression. The K1600 has a 12.1:1 compression ratio, perfect for burning up clean nitrogen with added power. Lower compression cars do not get the benefit, but the Turbo engines do cause they have hich compressions.

That report would have more meaning if they would have compared no name 93 octane to the Shell 93 octane. That was more like comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
328 Posts
That report would have more meaning if they would have compared no name 93 octane to the Shell 93 octane. That was more like comparing apples to oranges.

It has all the meaning about what the real octane of Shell V-power is. 98 octane is not a relavent number, but an absolute. And the 93 is a minimum Premium octane at the pump, the real octane is what's in the gasoline. The gasoline is what they tested. A real value to me. And the use of +NITRO does give it additional power at combustion time. The other stuff in it is cleaners, but even though NITRO burns clean, it does give a power boost IF you high compress the combustible.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Keep in mind that as altitude goes up octane requirement goes down, that is why no 93 in the Mile High City only 91.
That's due to the oxygen content, less oxygen at high elevations. However, the air compression of turbo boost could theoretically have an effect on it. I have not seen, or looked for, any studies on that.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
70 Posts
It has all the meaning about what the real octane of Shell V-power is. 98 octane is not a relavent number, but an absolute. And the 93 is a minimum Premium octane at the pump, the real octane is what's in the gasoline. The gasoline is what they tested. A real value to me. And the use of +NITRO does give it additional power at combustion time. The other stuff in it is cleaners, but even though NITRO burns clean, it does give a power boost IF you high compress the combustible.
But that 98 is RON and we use AKI in the US which would be about 93 and as I said before Shell does not sell 93 everywhere we can only get 91 here.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
70 Posts
That's due to the oxygen content, less oxygen at high elevations. However, the air compression of turbo boost could theoretically have an effect on it. I have not seen, or looked for, any studies on that.
Not oxygen content, it is the less atmospheric pressure effectively reduces the compression ratio unless as you said a turbo can make up for that.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
The percentage of O2 in the air at the top of Mt. Evans is exactly the same as the percentage of O2 in the air at Furnace Creek.

·
Registered
2018 K1600B GA
70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
I don’t think I’d worry too much about this. I remember on another forum I was on, one of the nerds did the math on this, and it was basically a fraction of a gallon (less than a 10th, if I remember right) was the maximum even possible that could be left in the lines. Not enough to really change the octane of whatever you’re pumping, even with a motorcycle, and newer pumps are supposed to be much better than the old ones in this regard.
Quite a bit more than 1/10th of a gallon, actually. A cylinder ¾" in diameter (most fuel pump hoses have an ID of ¾") and 12' long contains just over 1 gallon of fuel. If you do not think the line is 12' long, take a look at the pump next time and ask yourself "Where is the manifold?"

·
Registered
601 Posts
Today I rode without ear plugs, which normally I use on every ride.

As I got on the expressway I rolled the throttle on to WOT, and swore I heard the engine knock. Curious, I went WOT again several times, and confirmed that I was hearing engine knock.

I have Brentune Stage 2 loaded in the bike, and had read several were running that tune without issues on 91, which is the best we are allowed to consume here in the peoples republic of California.

Be careful if you are running Stage 2 and using 91. I will try the Stage 1 tune and see if the knock goes away.

Irks me that the throttle response on the later bikes is so neutered that an $800 tune is almost a necessity, and now the tune has me concerned about potentially harming the engine.

Interested to hear from the Brentune folks.
I thought the bike only required 87 octane level.

Chuck

·
Registered
349 Posts
Quite a bit more than 1/10th of a gallon, actually. A cylinder ¾" in diameter (most fuel pump hoses have an ID of ¾") and 12' long contains just over 1 gallon of fuel. If you do not think the line is 12' long, take a look at the pump next time and ask yourself "Where is the manifold?"
A response from Shell oil company directly, take it however you want.

Hello

On the use of a single hose to dispense multiple grades of fuel - Shell standards for these multiple grade single hose pumps are for a smaller diameter hose to reduce the amount of fuel left over from a previous dispense. The fuel grade change point is directly above the hose connection resulting in a residual volume of 0.56 liters for small diameter hose, or 0.78 liters if the pump happens to be equipped with a non-standard large diameter hose. While this amount will have only a very small effect on a typical car fill up, the effect is larger on 2 cycle equipment or a motorcycle tank with limited capacity.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
A response from Shell oil company directly, take it however you want.
<bunchabusshit deleted>

Who you going to believe? Some corporate shill talking about "liters" or your own dam eyes. LOOK at the hose delivering your fuel. The markings on the hose that plainly state "ID 3/4". Do the math.

·
Registered
349 Posts
<bunchabusshit deleted>

Who you going to believe? Some corporate shill talking about "liters" or your own dam eyes. LOOK at the hose delivering your fuel. The markings on the hose that plainly state "ID 3/4". Do the math.
Like I said, take it however you want. Personally, I’ll just keep not being concerned about fuel from the last guy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
From Bren tune to me by E mail.
Yes should have 93 octane in the tank on the stage 2 map. If you don't ride the bike hard it's not a huge deal but it's developed for 93 octane. ( Me. So a Ocrane booster is cool which one do you prefer ? )
VP makes a decent one that I have seen in stores before. Which ever brand you use just follow the directions on the bottle.
My buddy has the same bike with stage two and Exhaust he leaves the bike in rode Mode because of the backfiring when chopping the throttle down I guess. But has no knocking he puts octane boost in every other tank

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You heard loud and clear that Stage 2 is designed for 93 octane. You can get around some of the negatives here in California with octane booster, but the stuff isn’t cheap, especially if you ride a lot.

Remember that we have the crappiest gas in the country. Proceed with caution.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Remember that we have the crappiest gas in the country. Proceed with caution.
As much as gas costs out there in Kalifornia, you'd think it'd be the best in the country rather than the crappiest.

Reactions: Goes2fast

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
As much as gas costs out there in Kalifornia, you'd think it'd be the best in the country rather than the crappiest.
Best in terms of emissions? Yes. But for performance, absolutely not. Apparently they haven't been able to figure that out yet. I have to fill up my BMW 335i at Chevron here to get merely decent performance, and it's still sometimes lacking. The 6-cylinder twin turbo was developed for 93 octane, and the car lets me know it. :rolleyes:

81 - 100 of 110 Posts