BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a shop in SLC today looking at their inventory and gear. The sales guy showed me some of their preowned bikes and he had an older GTL with a custom seat that looked real interesting. It had a nylon mesh netting over the top. It kind of looked like the netting was a little bit raised off the actual seat. The sales guy said that the bike owner said it was great in the summer. I bet it would be if it let a little bit of air across the seat.

Has anybody seen this seat or know you makes it. The sales guy did not know. TIA.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I was in a shop in SLC today looking at their inventory and gear. The sales guy showed me some of their preowned bikes and he had an older GTL with a custom seat that looked real interesting. It had a nylon mesh netting over the top. It kind of looked like the netting was a little bit raised off the actual seat. The sales guy said that the bike owner said it was great in the summer. I bet it would be if it let a little bit of air across the seat.

Has anybody seen this seat or know you makes it. The sales guy did not know. TIA.
Sounds like a Kontour to me too.

KonTour Seat | Air Cooled Motorcycle Seat

·
Registered
951 Posts
Airhawk seats have this too.

Airhawk refers to this material as:

"Breathable Space Mesh material keeps you cool and dry"

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I agree it must have been a Kontour seat. Interesting concept. Anybody out there have any experience with one?

·
Super Moderator
16,847 Posts
Some hate the KonTour seat, I have had one and now another and I like them. Much cooler, while retaining the ability to have heat, albeit slower to get hot.

Waterproof and durable.

Remember though, seats are like helmets: What is comfortable to one is painful to another. KonTour are custom made for the expectations of the person ordering the seat.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I had one on my first GT. It was great for the first two years but then the rubber started to break down. It does get cold in the winter. I would not buy another one, I would just buy a bead cover.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I have had one for two years and I love it.

I ride a lot in hot weather, and can attest that the design truly works. In addition to the mesh, Kontour installs a UV radiant barrier... all together it is creates a much cooler seat, with air flow. It is never hot to the touch.

But the Kontour is more than just a cooler mesh outerlayer—it's also incredibly well-designed as a SEAT, as they use a 3M high density composite foam, and build it to spec.

I have the Magnum touring seat and it's not an exaggeration to say I ride without any butt pain whatsoever, and regularly do 10 hour+ days.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
If you're in the market for a cloth covered seat you may want to check out Russell Day Long seats with the Sunbrella covering. Several here on the forum have it and like it too.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
... I would just buy a bead cover.
Not saying it holds true within the K16 community, but I did note that on any bikes more than 5 or so years old at the MOA Rally, the two most popular aftermarket seats or seat mods on any tourers in general (that I saw, at least; your anecdotal observation mileage may vary) were:

1. Beads.
2. Sheepskin.
3. Corbin.

Corbin did not surprise me (although Sargent being there and them NOT certainly did), but the popularity of the first two was somewhat of a shock. It made me think there had to be something to them that went beyond the simple (cheaper than an aftermarket seat) conclusion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts