BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[MENTION=70154]Rodger 04 RT over at BMWMOA forum is looking for the routing of the K16 O2 sensors prior to installing 2 Ax-fied air fuel controllers. Can you post pictures from the repair service DVD or actual pictures of the cable routing to help him?

·
Registered
16 Posts
o2 sensor routing

I just received my af-xied for my 16 k16, will be starting to install this evening. has Roger made any progress locating info as to making this install as easy as possible as to locating connectors and getting to them? if not I will make notes and pass along.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
the cables connect behind the plastic, easy to follow there and back, tuck in well round the oil filter and water pump, quick photos will help between removal and install

·
Registered
16 Posts
o2 sensor routing

Well i did the install but didn't take pics. once you pull the tank side covers the connectors are obviously on display.
i made the connections and just piggy backed the new connector on the original with a wire tie. new harness routed easily under the front seat bracket. I Velcroed the af-xied controllers just past the battery and cross brace to the top of the rear fender. about an hour start to finish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
how do you like the af-xied? i have read about them and roger's work on the rt series, always thought about trying them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
o2 sensor routing

i only have a 100 miles with it installed so far, and i also didnt do alot of hot rodding on this bike since i've had it. it feels like it is pulling harder than before in roll on's in upper gears. i did more comparisons with 2 1150 gs's. before i added af-xied's to them my neighbor and i did some side by side testing. compared bikes before xied, and then with one installed and then both installed. the performance improvement was noticeable but moderate. meaning that before xied's the bikes stayed side by side thru the gears. with one xied installed the bikes were side by side off the line and the xied bike inched a head as we progressed thru the gears by a 100mph the xied bike was about abike and a half in front.
At present i don't know anyone near me with k16 to run beside to see any diffences. it sounds throatier and seems to be acclerating quicker but like a said no reference points really to make a comparison with...

·
Registered
16 Posts
o2 sensor routing

after reading my last post decided I didn't cover the initial question well. yes the AF-xied is a marked improvement in the sense it gives the engine a less lean fuel delivery which on its own will allow for a cooler running engine. the throttle response is more pronounced and responsive for sure. just cant show statistical proof. hopefully at some point Roger will respond with the data to show what is going on with the xied in this engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
o2 sensor routing

after reading my last post decided I didn't cover the initial question well. yes the AF-xied is a marked improvement in the sense it gives the engine a less lean fuel delivery which on its own will allow for a cooler running engine. the throttle response is more pronounced and responsive for sure. just cant show statistical proof. hopefully at some point Roger will respond with the data to show what is going on with the xied in this engine.
The K1600 was new to me and as a result it took me a long while to figure out which panels and how to remove them. The right hand O2 connector was easy to identify but there are two identical connectors on the left side which are possible to confuse.

The right hand install went fine and the GS-911 reported solid closed loop just like on an R1200 or R1150.

Unfortunately, the left hand O2 sensor was defective, the first one I’ve come across in 8 years of testing, and on a new bike. It functioned fine without the AF-XIED connected but was intermittent in closed loop. I tried four different know good AF-XIED units, four different know good cables, and three different grounding schemes. I finally had to admit defeat and restore the bike to stock.

I did spend enough time to confirm that it could only be the O2 sensor but I didn’t have a spare. Compounding things, it wasn’t obvious to me how the O2 cables are routed. I rarely, almost never give up but my friend wanted the bike back and so I had to quit.

I installed an AF-XIED on my own 2017 R1200RTW to help Nightrider debug an issue on RTWs last year. I get better roll on throttle, better shift assist, easier takeoff in first gear with less throttle and I ride around town one gear higher. These are the same improvements that we’ve seen on all bikes.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
does sound like a Bren Tune would suffice

·
Registered
16 Posts
The big plus for AF-Xied is that it doesn’t get overridden by a BMW dealer ECU update;)

I see there is an opportunity here for @mckgtrgs to gather the data with a GS-911 and to provide it to @Roger 04 RT for his review and the graphs he has done for the R bikes.
Dave and Roger,

What can I do to collect the data you would like to see? I have a GS-911, but haven't used it for anything but resetting abs on my 1150's and service reminder on k16.

Thanks,

·
Registered
174 Posts
a bit off topic but I have often wondered why oxygen sensors are called "O2" sensors. If i remember high school chemistry class right, "O" means oxygen and O2 means two parts of oxygen in a molecule. i.e. CO = carbon monoxide, CO2= carbon dioxide. Anyone care to enlighten me?

·
Registered
16 Posts
a bit off topic but I have often wondered why oxygen sensors are called "O2" sensors. If i remember high school chemistry class right, "O" means oxygen and O2 means two parts of oxygen in a molecule. i.e. CO = carbon monoxide, CO2= carbon dioxide. Anyone care to enlighten me?
I believe O2 is the chemical furmula for oxygen....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dave and Roger,

What can I do to collect the data you would like to see? I have a GS-911, but haven't used it for anything but resetting abs on my 1150's and service reminder on k16.

Thanks,

I'd be happy to review a GS-911 log and see that the AF-XIED is doing what it should.

If you haven't tried it yet, the GS-911 will log realtime engine data to either: your PC (not Mac) or if you have a GS-911 Wifi, to the internal flash memory.

What you do is go to the engine/realtime value section, select all, and log to flash or log to a PC .CSV file. When you have the file ready, PM me and I'll send my email address.

The more detailed procedure when logging with an AF-XIED is to, let the bike sit overnight so it's cold, set up the gs-911 to collect all realtime values, enable logging, start the bike without touching the throttle, and let it idle for 4 minutes (without overheating). Alternatively you can set the GS-911 up for logging and then go for a ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts