BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you BrenTuners out there - What are you using for octane boost and is there really a difference from brand to brand?

Locally I can’t find any stations offering more than 92 octane and my tune map requires 93. Appreciate the advice.

PS, before you start bitching me out to use the search option, it has been down most of the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
FWIW, when I got my Bren handheld tuner earlier this summer with Stage 1 and 2, Bren recommended Octanium octane booster for stage 2 since I can only get 90 octane at the pump in AK. (I haven’t tried it yet, just using stage 1)

Good luck!

·
Techmeister
1,628 Posts
I have a '18 GA with a stage 2 loaded. I use Sunoco 91 typically, though today I loaded half of a Sunoco 93 found only in VT. I typically carry a can of booster in my kit anyway.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
The Octanium shows a 80 point boost which unless I am figuring wrong takes 91 (live in CA) to 91.80

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
@Deemo, you don't tell us where you're located so I don't know if this will be of any value to you, but here's a 93 octane locator app you might find helpful: 93 Octane Gas Finder map

I got lazy and didn't click on through to their website because what I was looking for (in their words) came up in the link to their website on my search page. As you can see, while the beast prefers 93 octane with the Stage 2 tune, you're not hurting anything by running 91 (or 92).

Attachments

Reactions: Deemo

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
All you BrenTuners out there - What are you using for octane boost and is there really a difference from brand to brand?

Locally I can’t find any stations offering more than 92 octane and my tune map requires 93. Appreciate the advice.

PS, before you start bitching me out to use the search option, it has been down most of the day

Here’s a stroke of genius (it’s the only one I’ve had today!) using your handheld unit change from stage 2 to stage one which is optimized for 92 octane.

As an aside I use 90 octane ethanol free gas in my 2006 BMW Z4 Ci which the owner’s manual calls for premium/93 octane unleaded and she runs without complaint.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Deemo, you don't tell us where you're located so I don't know if this will be of any value to you, but here's a 93 octane locator app you might find helpful: 93 Octane Gas Finder map

I got lazy and didn't click on through to their website because what I was looking for (in their words) came up in the link to their website on my search page. As you can see, while the beast prefers 93 octane with the Stage 2 tune, you're not hurting anything by running 91 (or 92).
View attachment 145550
@Vandaldog - appreciate the great feedback and yes, I read on their site too but in an initial phone conversation with them, they stated that if I didn’t have access to 93, to use a booster.

I’m up in the Seattle area and I’ll check out the map that you posted. Again - appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
BrenTune came back with their recommendations. VP Octanuim Unleaded. I was able to find it at Walmart online $22.00.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
This is known to be the best commercially available octane booster on the market.

See the blend chart in the link above to achieve the desired octane. You won’t get those numbers with any other octane booster.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Torco is good stuff. I use it in the sled in the winter when needed in remote areas and in the Bren tuned K. I keep atleast 5 gallons of ethanol free Torco boosted mix on hand in the shop.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is known to be the best commercially available octane booster on the market.

See the blend chart in the link above to achieve the desired octane. You won’t get those numbers with any other octane booster.
So if I’m reading the chart correctly, by adding one can you the 10G tank, I’m boosting my 92 octane by 11 points rendering a 103 octane tank of gas?

Or is a ‘point’ 1/10th of one in the world of octane?? Appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
@Deemo, based on that chart, it looks to me like you should add 11.2 ounces of octane boost per tank load (seven gallon fill up) to bring 89 octane gas up to 93. That translates to 1.6 ounces of octane boost per gallon of 89 octane gas to raise it four octane points. That'd be .4 ounces per gallon to bring 92 octane up to 93 or 2.8 ounces per seven gallon fill up.

Reactions: Deemo
1 - 13 of 13 Posts