BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the K1600, needed to top the oil up so went to BMW and they gave me Castro Race 10W40, added about half a liter a couple of weeks ago then yesterday went to start and had a rattle from the engine, went away within about 30 seconds and hasn't come back, would this have been the tensioner? I've read it should have 5w40 oh and the bike hadn't been started for a week.
Is this something that dropping the oil and replacing with 5w40 should sort or is a new tensioner needed?

·
International Man of Mystery
3,375 Posts
What year is your bike? There were a few reports on chain tensioner and chain guides failing in older bikes. Does it have a full BMW service record? And about 10 % 10/40 vs the recommended 5/40 don't make a difference IMHO.
Welcome to the group

·
Registered
848 Posts
Can we persuade you to complete your profile, so we know a little about you, where you are precisely, your K16 model/year etc - if you then provide mileage/service history/recall history in brief with your post it gives us all some perspective.

Certainly sounds like the CCT. As VK says, owners of early high mileage bikes have occasionally reported CCT/guide problems, but it's rare - when was the oil/filter last changed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, will update profile but its an early bike 2011 with 40k on the clock. Full service with BMW and haven't heard the noise before, will replace the oil and CCT just in case.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Let me first welcome you to this forum and K1600 ownership.

When you checked the oil did you use the method described in your owners manual ( run the engine until the cooling fan comes on. Keep running for one minute. Shut off the engine and wait another minute before reading the oil level on the dip stick.)

If you read the oil level on the dip stick when the engine was cool you will get a false reading which will show a low level. Adding oil at that point will put too much oil in the engine. This could cause the engine to push oil up into your air box. There is a drain tube located under the tank on the left side.

With that all said my bikes (a 2012 and now a 2016) have demonstrated a rattle noise from the right side a few times when starting them cold. It goes away in a few seconds. I never chased down the culprit because it happened so few times and spread out over several years. If it would have persisted I would have been more diligent in finding the root cause.

I would stay with the recommended 5W-40 viscosity oil. FYI between the 2 bikes I've owned I've put over 130,000 miles on them and always used 5W-40 weight oil. As an old mechanic told me once "in a pinch any oil is better than no oil".

Reactions: JohnS1955

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jim
Thanks for the reply, yep followed the oil level method to the letter, dash said OK and it was on the bottom of the dipstick, topped up about 300ml took it for a run then checked and added approximately 200ml. Being an old mechanic myself I'm obsessed with abnormal noises, oil level and engine temp 😉

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
i have a 2012. I usually run Amsoil 10W-40. Back in 2016, I started the engine after a cold night (25°F), and it rattled bad for about 30 seconds. I’ve since started it in much colder weather, and never again have I heard any noises. My conclusion is the cam chain tensioner has what’s like “ratchet teeth”, to maintain some tension on the chain when the engine is off (and immediately following a cold start). I believe the chain needed to grab another tooth on the ratchet mechanism, and the subsequent ride allowed it to do so. I guess as it stretches it grabs a new tooth every so often, and that morning it hadn’t quite yet grabbed the next tooth.
I would continue to ride it and and if you hear the noise again, then replace the CCT. Otherwise, it might have been a fluke like my scenario.
Just my $0.02.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts