BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your BMW dealers charging to change oil in your K1600 bikes? Just curious. Not trying to knock any dealers, it's a free market and they must make a profit to stay open.

Also, does everyone riding under 6000 miles per year go a full year between changes?

I ask as I like to change oil and filter every 6 months regardless of miles. Thinking about doing myself.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
An oil change on the K bike is easy. Get RL's Super Plug.

I change the oil about every 6,000 miles. This works out to 2 changes each year.

If I were putting your miles on I would only change the oil every year.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
My last dealer oil change was early last year at $150 (filter, oil and labor). Since then I’ve done it myself for about $45 total. That’s with Castrol oil and Mahle filter bulk purchases from Amazon on prime day. At that price I could change it 3 times a year for the price of one dealer change. Although Mahle OC 306 filters have gone up nearly $3.00 on Amazon since my last purchase and haven’t come down, unless you opt for the subscribe and save price.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
An oil change on the K bike is easy. Get RL's Super Plug.

I change the oil about every 6,000 miles. This works out to 2 changes each year.

If I were putting your miles on I would only change the oil every year.
If you're slabbing @2000 RPM for 80-90% of those miles, 6000 miles should be fine. But, if you're spending a lot of time around 5000 RPM, I think a shorter interval would be advisable. It is more about wear on the engine, not the number of times the wheels turn. Miles are just a rough proxy for engine wear.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
I too do my own but at 4500 mile interval and with AmsOil oil/K&N oil filter. Specific oil and interval established after 3 oil sample evaluations. I ran 2 samples, 6k and 5k respectively, with Castrol oil. Both samples were border line. 3rd sample was with AmsOil at 4.5k was GTG.

Duane

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate all the advice. The funny part is that I already bought the RL Super plug but had my dealer install.

Think I'm going to start changing my own oil moving forward. The spread between doing myself and dealer is just to big.

Again, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I too do my own but at 4500 mile interval and with AmsOil oil/K&N oil filter. Specific oil and interval established after 3 oil sample evaluations. I ran 2 samples, 6k and 5k respectively, with Castrol oil. Both samples were border line. 3rd sample was with AmsOil at 4.5k was GTG.

Duane
Thanks for the useful information. I've been changing (Castrol) at 4K miles, and thinking this was likely wasteful overkill. Real data seems to point in the other direction.
I'll poke around for an Amsoil dealer. It would seem that their good reputation is deserved.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It's like going out for dinner...I can make better food at home for much less. Same with oil...I know the job's done right and it's a heckuva lot cheaper with less hassle (usually, that is)!! 5K (with Amsoil) or b4 Winter sets in, whichever comes first!

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Thanks for the useful information. I've been changing (Castrol) at 4K miles, and thinking this was likely wasteful overkill. Real data seems to point in the other direction.
I'll poke around for an Amsoil dealer. It would seem that their good reputation is deserved.

I would be honored to be your AMSOIL source. See links in my signature.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I do my own oil changes, purchasing Castrol 5w-40 from Amazon whenever it’s on sale. Generally change it once a year, late February. Be forewarned...even with RL’s super plug (which is a clever device) you will still get a hand and arm covered in dirty oil.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not to start an oil thread :) do many of you believe Amsoil or Castrol are better than the recommended BMW Motorrad Oil?? or is the choice based on price along with acceptable quality??. Guess what I'm asking is; would you still choose Amsoil or Castrol if they were the exact same price as the BMW Oil?

I ask because I've been happy with the BMW Oil, bike shifts really well, engine sounds good as well, always open if there is something better.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Not to start an oil thread :) do many of you believe Amsoil or Castrol are better than the recommended BMW Motorrad Oil?? or is the choice based on price along with acceptable quality??. Guess what I'm asking is; would you still choose Amsoil or Castrol if they were the exact same price as the BMW Oil?

I ask because I've been happy with the BMW Oil, bike shifts really well, engine sounds good as well, always open if there is something better.

There are lots of opinions with this topic.

My thoughts are any known good brand with the proper engineering certifications is good enough. The important certification is JASO MA2. This means it is certified for use in a wet clutch with an engine having catalytic converters.

So far I have used Shell Rotella T6.

·
Registered
263 Posts

The main point is that we are using the recommended viscosity of oil. Regarding it being ‘BMW oil’, BMW is currently using Shell as its lubricant provider. Previously, Castrol was the oil branded as ‘BMW’. BMW does not produce the oil they recommend. They just brand bottles in accordance to whichever company they have a marketing agreement with

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So far I have used Shell Rotella T6.

I think this is what my dealer uses. They dispense from drums. They tell me it's the exact same oil as BMW markets with there name on it in quart containers.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts

Yes I would, I don't buy oil based on price, been using AMSOIL for more than 30 years in my bikes and it works very well, never had a oil related issue of any kind and comes shipped to the door. No reason to change now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For those changing your own oil, how are you dealing with the oil change dummy light that comes on at set interval?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts