BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had an oil leak on the left side of the engine? Seems to be running down the gear shift lever.

·
Upside Down
1,373 Posts
I have never had an issue but I know if you had the recall on the transmission done BMW does not pay for the new Main gasket as part of the recall, so a lot of dealerships don't replace them and reuse the old one. Not saying that is your problem but it might be something to look at. I know at least one of our members had the transmission done and they did not replace his gasket then after a few thousand miles I can't remember the exact amount but think it was somewhere near 30,000 Miles and had oil leaks under his bike. I hope this helps you and maybe it will be that simple as it would then be a warranty issue if you had the recall done and no new gasket was used.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Can you identify the source of the leak? & give us an idea of the volume of oil being discharged - from your description it sounds more like the shift shaft seal, rather than the gasket.

See diagram #2 here ............

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have never had an issue but I know if you had the recall on the transmission done BMW does not pay for the new Main gasket as part of the recall, so a lot of dealerships don't replace them and reuse the old one. Not saying that is your problem but it might be something to look at. I know at least one of our members had the transmission done and they did not replace his gasket then after a few thousand miles I can't remember the exact amount but think it was somewhere near 30,000 Miles and had oil leaks under his bike. I hope this helps you and maybe it will be that simple as it would then be a warranty issue if you had the recall done and no new gasket was used.
You sure someone has 30,000 miles on their bike since the transmission recall was completed?

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
501 Posts
Take some of the covers off, clean the areas well with a degreaser and go for a local ride with plenty of shifting. Trace exactly the leak. The shifter shaft seal might be sweating a bit. It also might be a lack of torque on one of the cover gaskets bolt/s. Also, I hope they replace the shifter shaft seal in the recall. They suppose to. It is a basic mechanical rule. IF....it is in the kit, they have to. Also, a no brainer would be to let it sweat and ride to the dealer, simple enough. Happy leak free and safe riding....!!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would take it back to the dealer and let it drip. Then politely inform them that it did not do that before they touched it. Followed by requesting the time and date they plan on making it right. How does a dealership give a leaking product to a customer and claim that all work was done properly?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It appears to be running down the shift lever. The oil filter is tight. I called the dealer and they said that there is a seal, but it was not replaced. They will take a look at it. It looks like a slow leak. I will have to ride it again, produce the leak and then have them come pick it up. They said they have repaired 25 units so far. I am the only one with a reported leak. I have about 200 miles since the repair.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I would take it back to the dealer and let it drip. Then politely inform them that it did not do that before they touched it. Followed by requesting the time and date they plan on making it right. How does a dealership give a leaking product to a customer and claim that all work was done properly?
That is the kind of approach that will ensure you get the latest fix date possible.

·
Upside Down
1,373 Posts
You sure someone has 30,000 miles on their bike since the transmission recall was completed?
Well, I may have read that wrong but they, whoever it was did say the oil leak was a result of the Gasket not being replaced on their bike. I thought the miles were high for the short time, so maybe it was 30,000 miles when the transmission was done . Sorry for the confusion it might be the COVID - 19 that caused that mistake lol.

Reactions: Jonnybow

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dealer told me that they needed the bike for a week.
1- so that they could work the bike in schedule
2- so that what ever sealer they use would have time to set
Have had the bike up over one hundred mph more than a few times since recall completed all good. I hate grittty kitty cat litter on the floor 😡

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just developed the same small leak - looks like its coming from up behind the quickshifter - a couple of drops a day is all
To the OP Did they fix the leak ? thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone had an oil leak on the left side of the engine? Seems to be running down the gear shift lever.
Yes i have same problem after first sarves I so oil in left side lever said I take the bike to the dealer the kept the bike for 4 days and then they told me it was serves oil and we cleaned it now again see Sam oil 2 small drops in same place what I do

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just had my bike in for tires last Friday and the dealership(BMW of Denver) informed me of the oil leak around the shift lever after the recall - I had not noticed it. They said it was a non-replaceable o-ring in the cover over the reverse gear servo(or something like that). They had the part on order before I had the bike back from the techs. It's a very slow leak, never seen it mark it's spot. They said the part is showing backordered, but it's slow enough I'm not worried. Will update when it is fixed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well the leak is here, the seal part is nonserviceable, so needs whole reverse cover, is backordered, so no idea how long it will take

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
I had a leak on the left side. It was so slow it never had a single drop on the floor. Took it in for the recall and they gave me a new transmission. No more leak. They said it was a problem with the transmission case. Shifts great.

·
Upside Down
1,373 Posts
I had a leak on the left side. It was so slow it never had a single drop on the floor. Took it in for the recall and they gave me a new transmission. No more leak. They said it was a problem with the transmission case. Shifts great.
You guys seem to get the transmissions changed easily over there. Is it just better service from BMW in the USA or am I missing something?

·
Upside Down
1,373 Posts
No, it's likely they just sent us all the real junk the first time around and you guys got the good junk! :D
I don't know about that but I do know our mechanics at my dealership at least do take their time and make sure the jobs are done and done correctly. Full credit to them and please don't get me wrong I am not saying that the mechanics over there are not up to scratch, just more dealership with lots more brands to deal with.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just noticed a small oil stain on the garage floor under the left side of the bike. Took the cover over the shift lever assembly off and the leak is the same seal @gbjbany identified in this post.

Currently waiting for a call back from the dealer as to when they can resolve it.

Unimpressed.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts