BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Bubonic
1,041 Posts
Same leak began happening after my transmission recall too....

·
Registered
524 Posts
Same leak began happening after my transmission recall too....
Hmm... There seems to be an issue with that seal if the cover is disturbed, but I don't see why as the shaft and arm seem to be captive with the cover, so it's not as though the shaft is pulled through the seal when it's dismantled.

Has it been fixed?

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi it might interest you all that when the recall is done bmw do not put fresh oil in but reuse what was removed this happens with all engine work as well as the dealer is not paid for the oil /on another note some of the gaskets now have been deleted and replaced with sealer instead ask the question see my post ref unrelibeal
cutting corners again buy a gs310 made in india i wonder what else

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I have the leak as well. It's just a couple drops and doesn't always happen. Haven't notified the dealer yet.

Ya, Ya....I'll call them tomorrow. Closed on Monday. :rolleyes:

Reactions: PLAGUE

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fyi the seal is not replaceable, you have to have the whole cover replaced, BUT ..... Its not available worldwide. They had to replace my whole gearbox. !!

·
Registered
524 Posts
So...

Bike is currently with the dealer who has confirmed that the leak is coming from the seal I said it was ( :rolleyes: ) and also that the cover is showing zero stock and with no availability date.

I‘ve asked them to escalate the issue and get a solution as I have a trip planned, leaving in three weeks' time...

·
Registered
7 Posts
My GT goes in today for a service and I have recently noticed oil on the gear selector (gearbox recall work completed in March) so the dealer has been advised. Looks like my road trip in 2 weeks time isn't going to happen. Starting to get a little disillusioned with this bike given a few other (expensive) issues have occurred. I'll post the out-come of today's service later.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'll post the out-come of today's service later.
Please do - I'll be interested in your dealer's take on it & the availability (or otherwise) of replacement part(s) that they find.

I'm curious about the cause of this, as it's not immediately obvious to me why removing the cover (of which the actuator arm, shaft and seal are integral components) should lead to failure of the seal. Do we have any example of this seal failing on bikes that haven't had the transmission recall work carried out?

Now some speculation: I'm always suspicious when there are failures like this and a simultaneous, lengthy, total outage of the component. It often means that manufacture is suspended pending redesign, or a fault has been identified in the manufacturing / assembly process that leads to existing stocks being pulled.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine showed up on my 19 B after 2000 miles of my trip. Left a pretty sizable puddle after some spirited riding.

Recall was done prior to purchase.

Is this engine oil I assume? I plan to keep an eye on it and likely run it til the end of the season so not to miss out on riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Is this engine oil I assume? I plan to keep an eye on it and likely run it til the end of the season so not to miss out on riding.
Yes, it's engine oil (engine and transmission share the same lubricant).

While the leak on mine is relatively small, my concern is if it were to become more severe - perhaps during a long high-speed run when crankcase pressure is higher - it could result in contamination of the rear tyre. The chances of that are probably small, but having had an oil filter seal blow on a bike many years ago that plastered the rear of the bike in oil while I was spinning along at 70mph+ and as I ride almost exclusively two-up with my wife on the back seat, it's a risk I'm not prepared to take.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well, I've just heard from my dealer that "BMW... ...are at the moment unable to give a date" for availability of the cover :mad:

They are "exploring options with BMW Customer Service" regarding my trip that departs in three weeks' time...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, I've just heard from my dealer that "BMW... ...are at the moment unable to give a date" for availability of the cover :mad:

They are "exploring options with BMW Customer Service" regarding my trip that departs in three weeks' time...
Suggest calling customer service yourself too, and request a new gearbox , i was told that helped

Reactions: st13phil

·
Registered
25 Posts
The dealership requested that I bring mine in today so they could document the leak. Sounds like they will be replacing the entire gearbox as well. Leaving tomorrow for a week of riding in the high country with family, very small leak and the service manager said nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I haven't had the recall done yet and reading these posts makes me second guess even doing it. My bike shifts like butter and and I've never heard of one bike in the US locking up because of failure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Following the service on 06/08 and investigation into an oil leak from the gearbox area, the bike has been booked in for work on the "gearbox cover" on 24/08. No comment was made about availability issues of seals or covers so I will have to wait for 24/08. Rideability? - "well its only small leak so should be ok" says the BMW dealer.

I've had this bike for just over a year now and I love this bike and despite a few issues (gearbox recall, which took 4.5 months to sort, front shock failure/replaced, central locking failure on one case - still working on, adaptive headlight failure - fixed with a re-calibration but headlight aim is now too high) I look for any opportunity to use it. Its a shame that with the recall and Covid (and latterly the oil leak) I've done less than 3k miles in the last 12 months as opposed to the usual 10k. I've paid (sorry, still paying) a lot of money for this bike so there's a little disillusionment creeping in. I've also spent a lot of money on "protecting" the bike (Case film, Fenda extandas, Protection bars etc.) and paid for a top box and sat nav at purchase. Patience, patience is what I need.

I'll update on the oil leak after 24/08.

Stay safe.

Steve

·
Registered
524 Posts
Following the service on 06/08 and investigation into an oil leak from the gearbox area, the bike has been booked in for work on the "gearbox cover" on 24/08. No comment was made about availability issues of seals or covers so I will have to wait for 24/08.
Thanks for the update.

Mine has the black engine, so maybe - assuming yours has the silver engine - the required cover assembly is available in silver? It certainly isn't available in black. Personally, I'd give your dealer a call and ask them to confirm availability of the part otherwise you could have a wasted visit on 24/08.

Regarding reliability, if the K1600 were a parachute, I wouldn't jump out of a 'plane with one strapped to me...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just had a call from my dealer: BMW UK cannot say when a replacement gearbox cover will become available and have therefore authorised replacement of the entire transmission. Brand new complete transmission assembly will be delivered to them tomorrow, and they hope to have my bike in the workshop on Thursday, which means all being well I should get my bike back at the beginning of next week latest.

So all credit to them for stepping up to the plate and taking action to get me mobile again, but what a ludicrous situation having to replace a several £k assembly for a tuppenny-ha'penny oil seal.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Bike delivered back to me this morning. Not taken it out yet, but first gear and reverse seem to work ok ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just found the same leak on my bike. TM replaced in May, have a big trip planned with wife in 3 weeks. Sound familiar? Calling dealer tomorrow when they open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 47 Posts