BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
The dealership requested that I bring mine in today so they could document the leak. Sounds like they will be replacing the entire gearbox as well. Leaving tomorrow for a week of riding in the high country with family, very small leak and the service manager said nothing to worry about.
Did my week of vacation with no issues - well, besides Colorado deciding to catch fire. Dealership called Tuesday saying the new transmission was in. Took it to them Wednesday afternoon, picked it up this morning. Everything is good, going to put a couple hundred miles on in the mountains tomorrow for a good shakedown. So incredibly happy with the service I receive at BMW of Denver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bike taken in yesterday to investigate/fix oil leak from gearbox (following recall work). It seems that the gasket for the reverse gear cover had failed/been damaged following the recall work. Gasket has been replaced and apparently all is well. Lets see what happens over the next few weeks.Otherwise bike seems to be working well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone had an oil leak on the left side of the engine? Seems to be running down the gear shift lever.
hi, I recently noticed a very slow leak, more like a sweating drop. I have contacted the dealer, they are going to look into it and get back to me. fyi, I sent them a pic of the oil residue on the gear shift itself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dealer in Houston could not get the parts to fix the oil leak before our Colorado trip this past week so we went anyway with a quart of oil packed. After 1200 miles it was at the add .5l mark, it was at Max when we left. I added .5, don’t know if it leaked out or burned up. Hopefully the parts will come in soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone had an oil leak on the left side of the engine? Seems to be running down the gear shift lever.
Yes I had the problem but they found it before giving the bike back to me. Cheers to that. Got the bike went for a ride on the way back pulled over at the store to pick up a few things and the bike won’t start. Could hear the starter turn but won’t start the engine. Taking it back to the dealer. And I am not surprised if they say it’s not related just to get rid of the responsibility.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got back from a long weekend around the Lake District, my first trip since the gearbox oil leak fix 3 weeks ago, and I find this morning that the oil leak has returned (light covering running down the gear selector). I didn't choose a BMW because of the badge, I chose the K1600 because of what it can do. If you like, this is my dream bike and has exceeded that dream in every way - apart from this gearbox issue. For me its been dragging on since last October and for nearly 5 months of the time I've not been able to use the bike. I've had no apology from BMW or offer of compensation for the lack of use or inconvenience. To be fair I've not sought any remedy as yet. Ok, lets see what BMW have got to say this time! Keep you posted.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I find this morning that the oil leak has returned (light covering running down the gear selector).
Sorry to hear that.

My advice would be to take the outer cover off (its only a couple of torx screws) and my bet is that the leak will be from the same seal @gbjbany identified in this post.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Took my 2018GT in to the local dealer today for a dreaded left side oil leak. Dealer I bought the bike from never tightened the oil filter (!?) after the first and only service and it was slow dripping from there. Could have been worse, like the oil filter unscrewing and pi$$ing oil on the way home, but we made it. Saw the oil stains on the exhaust shield when we got home from fetching the bike 1400km away, and been tiptoeing through this forum since. I just hope it is not the gearbox recall bug, but it is dry inside the quickshift cover. Must confess, been wondering if they could not fit a filter properly, how did they do the gearbox recall? Sleepless nights!!!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts