BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my first oil change and inspection.

(So many loose screws on this bike)

Anyway, my question is the oil meter on the dash is always at 75% filled with a OK next to it.
I check my dip stick and its on the full mark so I figured the dash will show a 100% full but it only shows 75% full.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
It will also warn you when your 1 quart or more low by saying "LOW" . As far as I can tell it's pretty accurate.
Actually, when the CHECK! oil warning comes on it's 1/2 liter low. If a person does have the CHECK! pop up there's no need to get anxious, like I did the first time and start quickly looking for a place to pull over. The dry sump system has the proper amount of oil circulating through the engine. The "reserve" oil level is what's going to be low and 1/2 liter low will allow plenty of time to find a safe and convenient place to take care of the situation.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this is what he's talking about.......

The meter on the right is what I was trying to say. See how its showing at 50-75%. If it doesn't go up or down then whats the point? They should just have put the genie bottle symbol and call it a day.

Here i was thinking it was one of them reach your goal meters lol.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
CHECK disappears if the bike is hot and you continue to ride

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all ur guys help

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Mine just shows ---. Never has showed OK. Must be a problem with mine.
According to the service manager, at my dealership, you need to be stopped and in neutral when you're looking at the oil indicator. Only then will you see anything other than the --. This, of course, doesn't apply to the CHECK message, only the OK.

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
You need to have the engine running, bike stopped in an up right attitude and in neutral for a period of time (check the manual for the time). Then if the engine oil is at the correct level the OK will come on and stay on until you turn off the bike or, heaven forbid, the oil level drops below the recommended level.

So the next time, after gassing up, start your bike, shift into neutral, let out the clutch and wait for your buddy to come out of the convenience store drinking his bottle of Gatoraid then putting his gloves and helmet on, adjusting his privates before climbing on his bike. That should be enough time for the oil level to be checked by the bike.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Along these lines, does the CHECK override what you have displayed when you go 1/2 liter low?

I always display Range, for example, but when it gets close to freezing air temp takes over and shows me the air temp.

I've only seen CHECK when I set it to oil level and wait for a reading.

If CHECK overrides then no need to select oil level?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Along these lines, does the CHECK override what you have displayed when you go 1/2 liter low?

I always display Range, for example, but when it gets close to freezing air temp takes over and shows me the air temp.

I've only seen CHECK when I set it to oil level and wait for a reading.

If CHECK overrides then no need to select oil level?

The CHECK overrides what you have set to display.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
You need to have the engine running, bike stopped in an up right attitude and in neutral for a period of time (check the manual for the time). Then if the engine oil is at the correct level the OK will come on and stay on until you turn off the bike or, heaven forbid, the oil level drops below the recommended level.

So the next time, after gassing up, start your bike, shift into neutral, let out the clutch and wait for your buddy to come out of the convenience store drinking his bottle of Gatoraid then putting his gloves and helmet on, adjusting his privates before climbing on his bike. That should be enough time for the oil level to be checked by the bike.
This is the protocol Prince and I use on road trips...he checks his oil level while he waits for me. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Mine has always worked fine, but it never shows a percentage of oil, it's either OK or --. There are a set of conditions that must occur to get the ok, it usually comes on for me when I'm at a stop light, but disappears as soon as I get underway. Best of all my bike doesn't use any oil at all, so it's never been used to remind me to add oil. I rode from Yellowstone from NY a few years ago came back and didn't burn a drop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts