BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s not looking good... Just dropped my youngest off at his weekend job...

·
Super Moderator
16,916 Posts
I recall reading a history book on Australia a few years ago. The book described how Australia offers such extremes. East coast weather extremes of wet which recharges the aquifer. Then, extremes of heat and fire, consuming the very flammable trees and undergrowth. Extremes in fauna which offer numerous opportunity to be poisoned. Extremes in geology which offer superior mining opportunities (which started with a returning Australian from the California Gold Rush finding gold back home.)

Fires today are indeed more destructive than the previous huge fires because of an increased population and developed property within the fire zone. The temperatures today are the same as previous hot cycles. With such a huge country, nearly the size of America, with a population concentrated around only a portion of the coastal edge, concentrates risks.

Prudent Australians will consider these normal cycles and plan ahead for what will surely happen again and again. (Something Californians need to do too.) Prudent Australians will add large retention systems to enhance the wet cycle aquifer recharge, providing water to the increasing population and supply during the dry cycles.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
That is crazy hot. Arizona will reach those temps, there's not much to burn in the desert though. And they'll ground the commercial airliners at 114 I think it is.

Concerned and wishing good health and safety to you and the fam.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My heart goes out to the people and fauna down under.

BTW, brilliant juxtaposition of golden arches and wild fire. Stunning irony.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sucks Donna, and my heat goes out to the country. Fire is a scary thing, more scary in my opinion than earthquakes, right up there with tornadoes. Been through all three and would not want to repeat the experience again.
And to think that in winter we get into the minus’s (low teens F). A ride to work a few years ago on my ST1300. 100°F temp range. I expect we‘ll get a blizzard this winter...

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Donna be safe, and best luck with all. I was a fireman and for a couple years work in a forest area. It is an Uneasy feeling, Again, be safe, and prayers are with you and everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Praying for rain for our Aussie “mates”.

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Hope that you get some relief soon!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts