BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for input from fellow European MY2022 owners regarding DAB Radio reception on their bikes.

My personal experience (in the UK) is that it is unusable. Regular reception drop-outs, some lasting for minutes not seconds, mean that it is unlistenable. What I don't know is if this is a problem of example (i.e. a fault with my bike) or type (i.e. a fault with all bikes), so before I tackle it with my dealer - again - I'm looking for the experience of fellow riders regarding their bike's radio reception. For the avoidance of doubt, both my cars reliably receive the same DAB radio stations in the same areas that my bike doesn't, so it's not an issue of poor transmitter coverage.

So does you bike's DAB radio work OK, or is it as useless as mine?

·
Registered
K1600 GTL
14 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I was just about to ask the same thing when I saw your post. My reception is terrible on DAB and fm is not much better, my old Triumph Trophy had a better audio set up than this GTL. I asked Cheltenham motorad about this and they told me it's OK, and everything is working fine but just like you the car and van pick up a signal no problems but not the bike.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I’ll be taking it up with my dealer, but judging by your dealer’s response I fear this is going to be a long-running saga…

·
Registered
K1600 GTL
14 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I wonder if it's possible to add a small external aerial like the American lads do with the sirius satalite radio they have, as they seem to have the same problem. Does anyone know where the aerial is and which plug it is coming from the DAB module

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My feeling (based on my experience of DAB radio reception in cars) is that the problem will come down to a combination of antenna performance (including any antenna amplifier) and signal buffering capability in the receiver.

Which of those two are the most significant in the case of the MY2022 K1600 I don't know, but it shouldn’t be down to the customer to sort it out.

FWIW, the antenna is underneath the false tank upper righthand panel.

·
Registered
K1600 GTL
14 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I agree it should not be our problem but BMW say everything is working as it should be, so obviously another bad design. Is it not correct that DAB aerials should be vertical and so if its lay on top of the tank in the horizontal position is never going to be effective

·
Registered
124 Posts
depending where you live reception can go from perfect to nothing

not tried on their bike's but BMW car's DAB reception was very good - whereas Mercedes still can't understand how to make an antenna that functions at all

ideally its DAB+ channels you should care about - DAB is 15 year old car crash - that was switched off forever in germany in Feb 2016, whilst the UK went with dual broadcasts of legacy DAB and the new DAB+ service

DAB+ is a totally new service that has vastly better compression standards which with error handling built in the signal, should give far less issues....

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
depending where you live reception can go from perfect to nothing
I refer you to my OP:
For the avoidance of doubt, both my cars reliably receive the same DAB radio stations in the same areas that my bike doesn't, so it's not an issue of poor transmitter coverage.
DAB+ is a totally new service that has vastly better compression standards which with error handling built in the signal, should give far less issues....
I’m talking about DAB+ broadcasts.

Oh, and BTW, both the cars that receive the transmissions perfectly where the bike doesn’t are Merc’s.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oh, and BTW, both the cars receive the transmissions perfectly where the bike doesn’t are Merc’s.

its a huge thing with Merc's they can't pick up DAB or DAB+ never could in this country - lots of hardware and software ideas little resolution...
the general ideas and bugs could be related on the BM bikes so I keep going about what afflicts UK DAB in general.

UK DAB was rare on Mercs with it only becoming an option in 2009 model year cars, where BM cars had it working well from 2007. BM cars went DAB as std from model year 2012, its still an option on Mercs. My Merc DAB antenna is £722 and almost doesn't function at all - I swapped it out many years ago to an aftermarket one that sits dangling inside behind the bumper and its nearly 100% perfect across the whole country and cost £17 (now out there for £12) - but I have to reconfigure the Merc DAB tuner using dealer tools to send a 5v phantom feed up the coax antenna wire to wake its internal amp. Both BM cars and Mercs like to use external powered antenna amps. The common set up on the BM cars is 5 separate boxes of garbage attached to the heated rear window filtering, amplifying and distributing three separate inputs to different tuners, the nav and the BT

With DAB reception issues many cars started to bring in this auto swap DAB/FM switching (Volvo and Renault use it quite effectively - but to make it work well everything needs to be delayed so FM slots in seamlessly)

The big issues stem from a european switchover event in 2016 which brought in DAB+. As they knew it was coming, tuners started to have both DAB and DAB+ tuners from 2012, but on Mercs the DAB+ tuner was inactive switched off in software. On Mercs I believe from model year 2015 both tuners were enabled, but with nothing broadcast for DAB+ it never picked up anything until the switch on event in jan / feb 2016. Whereupon all Merc DAB and DAB+ tuners in high channel availability areas went mental, and repeatedly crashed as the dual broadcasting swamped its channel list. They couldn't handle seeing above 100 active stations and just rebooted.

Germany didn't figure it would be an issue as Germany actually planned and did kill off DAB forever, at the advent of DAB+ broadcasting

Older DAB tuners didn't have this issue as they never saw that many and these earlier cars just needed to re-tune to suit the drastically changed broadcasts coming as better signals from fewer mulitplexes. Merc had two software updates trying to resolve, one in May 2016 and a better one that fixed the tuner crashing bug on Oct 2016 - less than 15% of the cars have ever been updated. With the last update in Oct 2016, for difficult owners bringing costly hardware changes with new improved "UK suitable antenna amps"

Then circa 2017 / 2018 the BBC national multiplex enabled DAB+ channel logos and then Ford and Peugeot (maybe others) DAB+ tuners started randomly crashing as these couldn't cope with the extra data. Ford were still selling the mk4 Focus with the bugs and took till late 2021 to issue a software fix - oddly a Pug fix was out late 2018, but again no one knows about it. And I believe related, on certain VW headunits a v10 or later map update crashes ONLY UK model headunits in a constant reboot loop - but if you drive abroad the car works JUST fine, so VW have not addressed it. I suspect this too is a DAB related bug and maybe a firmware update to the headunit enabled DAB+ as the new Mapping gets installed.

Sounds bit like all the old DAB+ bugs, re logos, channel number and nasty antenna's is affecting the bikes - but they should know better???

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you get anywhere contacting BMW about the DAB signal
I visited the dealer just over a week ago and they applied a software update to the bike and advised that if that didn’t fix it (it hasn’t) they will raise a case with BMW. I’ll be talking to them again next week.

Incidentally, there are quite a few complaints about the poor MY2022 K1600 DAB radio reception on a German BMW forum, so it’s not a UK-only issue.

·
Registered
K1600 GTL
14 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Snap, they did exactly the same thing when I took mine in. Apparently the update is to stop us pulling wheelies took 7 hrs to download. Are you dealing with Cheltenham Mottorad because I will be contacting them about mine next week as well.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, so I visited the dealer again today (actually to have the top-box lid replaced due to a paint defect) and reported that the issue with DAB reception is still present, as are a number of other TFT-related issues.

They advised that they would check if there was a further software update available (there wasn't) and if not they would "raise a case with BMW", which they say they now have. So it's now a waiting game.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had a call from my dealer this morning. BMW Motorrad have asked that I leave my bike with them for a week so that they can further investigate the issues I’ve reported. Its booked in for the end of the month.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts