BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
K1600 GTL
14 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
You've got on better than me then, i emailed them with a complaint about the radio and have heard nothing back in 10 days so i contacted them this morning and they are going to raise the issue with BMW. Surprisingly enough they said they have not had anyone else complain about it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
OK, a bit of an update.

My dealer has been working with BMW UK regarding my reported issues with the abysmal DAB radio reception and also the inability to obtain stable connectivity to the TFT and the audio system not displaying Album / Artist / Track & Playlist options in the Media menu with either of my iPhones connected. To their credit, they tried several different iPhones and also Android phones and have concluded that - for whatever reason - my bike's TFT won't play nicely with any Apple phones, but "seems to be OK with Android devices". BMW UK have asked them to replace the complete TFT unit which, I understand, includes both the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi comm's modules. Part now on order from Germany...

Regarding the poor DAB reception, no progress as such other than the Tech's comment that "DAB reception can be a bit hit and miss around Oxfordshire". I pointed out that the issue was wider than that and that the bike's DAB reception was useless pretty much anywhere in the country. Dealer said that they would take this up with BMW UK.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
7100 Mi
OK, a bit of an update.

My dealer has been working with BMW UK regarding my reported issues with the abysmal DAB radio reception and also the inability to obtain stable connectivity to the TFT and the audio system not displaying Album / Artist / Track & Playlist options in the Media menu with either of my iPhones connected. To their credit, they tried several different iPhones and also Android phones and have concluded that - for whatever reason - my bike's TFT won't play nicely with any Apple phones, but "seems to be OK with Android devices". BMW UK have asked them to replace the complete TFT unit which, I understand, includes both the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi comm's modules. Part now on order from Germany...

Regarding the poor DAB reception, no progress as such other than the Tech's comment that "DAB reception can be a bit hit and miss around Oxfordshire". I pointed out that the issue was wider than that and that the bike's DAB reception was useless pretty much anywhere in the country. Dealer said that they would take this up with BMW UK.
Phil,

I honestly think it's the aerial location (fuel tank). I plan to fix over Christmas as lots on at the moment. I also plan to look at the speakers because even if you do get a good reception at max volume there is a lot of distortion. But I watch with interest to see if a new DAB receiver fixes the problem. Personally I think BMW will say it works as designed - where designed means on top of a hill with line of site to transmitter.

I'm going to start by seeing what sort of earth sheet & aerial terminals they used on the fuel tank etc. It's standard Fakra connectors so I can prototype some stuff, drive to areas where reception is bad before finalising my solution. First thing to determine is if it's the receiver or the aerial / aerial location that makes the reception so poor.

Cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's standard Fakra connectors so I can prototype some stuff, drive to areas where reception is bad before finalising my solution. First thing to determine is if it's the receiver or the aerial / aerial location that makes the reception so poor.
Do keep us posted, Tim.

·
Registered
K1600 GTL
14 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Thanks for the update Phil, i am still waiting for the dealer to get a reply from BMW they are not as pro active as yours unfortunately.
Tim I think you are correct about the Ariel being lay flat on top of the tank it should be designed for vertical polarization not horizontal and not hidden behind the electronics on the dash and under metal handlebars but I cant find a alternative Ariel that would fit somewhere appropriate and look acceptable, the best solution I have thought of so far is to put a windscreen mounted aerial on or under the phone holder lid as there should be a power supply in there for the amp but im not sure if they are very effective and as Phil says it is not for us to be solving these problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
it'll be the Antenna, no amount of software updates can help, how do we know its on the tank ? I would expect like many cars it can pull perfectly good signals off the std wire antenna, but the filtering out of the different frequencies by the "antenna amp" isn't working for some reason.... or as the stock antenna bounces around like Zebedee, DAB+ signals don't enjoy it - and I guess they might have tried something ese.

Its a shame realOEM not showing bits for the 2022 bike's yet

the BT bit is strange - that more likely is a bit of bad software (if other's get it too)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
it'll be the Antenna
I tend to agree. It’s certainly an antenna / antenna amplifier / receiver sensitivity issue.

The question is how long it will take for BMW to admit it and create an engineered fix (or to compensate those of us who have paid them for something they haven’t delivered).

·
Registered
126 Posts
the scary bit is my 2019 bike has the rare audio system, a hugely costly option that "doesn't" have DAB. Yet the cost of implementation is only around 10 pence - it probably costs more to manage the process where they omit the chip, so I'd be suprised if the chipset isn't on the board inside my module. Pointing us toward they knew they couldn't get it to work, but by 2022 had to turn it on to sell the option

After all the original shutdown in the UK of FM broadcasts was set for 2012, it was extended to 2016 after many MPs expressed concern at the number of DAB tuners in play and wanted it above a certain threshold - and now we have forgotten to talk about it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Phil,

I honestly think it's the aerial location (fuel tank). I plan to fix over Christmas as lots on at the moment. I also plan to look at the speakers because even if you do get a good reception at max volume there is a lot of distortion. But I watch with interest to see if a new DAB receiver fixes the problem. Personally I think BMW will say it works as designed - where designed means on top of a hill with line of site to transmitter.

I'm going to start by seeing what sort of earth sheet & aerial terminals they used on the fuel tank etc. It's standard Fakra connectors so I can prototype some stuff, drive to areas where reception is bad before finalising my solution. First thing to determine is if it's the receiver or the aerial / aerial location that makes the reception so poor.

Cheers,
Tim
I have had all antennae's replaced and still have issues with reception, DAB is extremely dodgy, ran a test in the driveway by starting and stopping engine, check link to see results, you will need sound engine interference.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
check link to see results
Linky no worky.

FWIW, I have no issues with engine interference, just rubbish DAB reception and somewhat marginal FM reception.

Frankly, I'm not surprised to hear that replacing the antennas hasn't fixed the problem as the issue of totally unacceptable DAB reception performance is pretty universal. That suggests that the issue is one of design and inherent antenna / receiver performance rather than being caused by the odd faulty component, which makes it doubly important that we all "keep on BMW's case" until they create and deploy a design fix.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
FYI Android phones will not display playlist info including album art. Only iPhones will display that on the TFT.
Yes, I'm aware of that disparity.

The best of it is that my bike won't display artist / album / track / playlist info when connected to an iPhone (multiple different iPhones including 7, 8 Plus, 12, 13 & 14, both Std & Pro versions) either. Although it does display the album art, so I suppose I should be thankful for small mercies :rolleyes:

BMW UK has asked my dealer to replace the entire TFT system in an effort to fix it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just looking for input from fellow European MY2022 owners regarding DAB Radio reception on their bikes.

My personal experience (in the UK) is that it is unusable. Regular reception drop-outs, some lasting for minutes not seconds, mean that it is unlistenable. What I don't know is if this is a problem of example (i.e. a fault with my bike) or type (i.e. a fault with all bikes), so before I tackle it with my dealer - again - I'm looking for the experience of fellow riders regarding their bike's radio reception. For the avoidance of doubt, both my cars reliably receive the same DAB radio stations in the same areas that my bike doesn't, so it's not an issue of poor transmitter coverage.

So does you bike's DAB radio work OK, or is it as useless as mine?
My DAB is completely useless.

Like you, I live in the UK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, I'm aware of that disparity.

The best of it is that my bike won't display artist / album / track / playlist info when connected to an iPhone (multiple different iPhones including 7, 8 Plus, 12, 13 & 14, both Std & Pro versions) either. Although it does display the album art, so I suppose I should be thankful for small mercies :rolleyes:

BMW UK has asked my dealer to replace the entire TFT system in an effort to fix it.
You are living in my world.

My 2022 1600 ‘large TFT screen’ bike has EXCTLY the same problem, using an iPhone. Only once, completely by chance and then very briefly, did it actually display the artist / album / track / playlist info, I have absolutely no idea why it did it once and it’s not done it since.

Like you, I have tried using several different iPhones but all of them show the same problem. I have also checked, lots of times, that everything is connected properly, following the correct ‘daisy chain’. In short, I have done everything properly but it does not work.

I have now given up using an iPhone at all, but that is due to the well known WiFi connection problems. I bought an Android phone to get around the WiFi issue but that doesn’t have any music loaded onto it, so I have no idea if it works.

I have been a long term multi-year customer of BMW, Park Lane, London. I am getting very close to rejecting the bike, as one of its key selling points (the TFT screen and all the ‘smart’ connectivity which they were so keen to promote, is absolute garbage. Put simply, “It does not work”. I have never had cause to complain to BMW before, happy (if that is tge right word) to accept small niggles but this ‘connectivity’ thing - when added to the jumping cursor problem - is way beyond small.

·
Registered
K1600 GTL
14 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
You shouldn't be having the DAB drop out if your living near London where there is a strong signal. Are you able to take the bike back and complain as a few of us have in the Midlands, its the only way we will ever get anything done about the issue. Mine is at the dealers being looked at at the moment

·
Registered
126 Posts
Apple make up their own standards - it should be called randomware - each time it works differently - they haven't been able to get bluetooth to operate as designed for 8 years and 25 versions of iOS

·
Registered
42 Posts
You shouldn't be having the DAB drop out if your living near London where there is a strong signal. Are you able to take the bike back and complain as a few of us have in the Midlands, its the only way we will ever get anything done about the issue. Mine is at the dealers being looked at at the moment
The whole ‘Connectivity’ / ‘Infotainmen’ package of my cheap secondhand, seven year old, VW Polo is streets ahead of my 2022 1600 GT,

21 - 40 of 46 Posts