BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting to be time to stock up and pack straws for when I travel.

Already have a variety of wrapped straws at home for this need.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Political rant ----

Speaking of straws (plastic) and why they have been banned in some areas and the brouhaha around the controversy... I recently got back from diving in Indonesia and did not make one dive without spotting plastic either on the bottom or floating in the water. I don't think that they have anyway of getting rid of trash except to throw it in the sea. Between them, India, China and a few other countries over there, if we stopped all pollution in the US today, it would probably make no difference in the oceans of the world. We are not the ones causing the problem.

I can post pictures I've taken of straws in the water, in Florida where pigs, disguised humans have littered the bottom of Tampa Bay, but that is not the big problem.

I am a conservationist, but this banning of straws in the US is just politics..

·
Super Moderator
16,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The dumping of trash in the oceans is a huge problem. One that needs to be addressed in Asia foremost.

That said, the energy in feeling good about banning straws would be better spent investing in those groups out cleaning up the plastic island in the Pacific.

Straws make consuming a lot of beverages easier and less staining to the teeth. I will continue to use straws as long as I can buy them.

Those reusable straws harbor bacteria, just like the reusable grocery bags do. Thinking a dishwasher can clean the inside of a metal straw is silly. Only the heat sterilizes to some degree.

No, my intent is to stock up and continue to use straws. All the while recycling plastic, aluminum and paper, despite the monthly charge to do so.

BTW: Dallas has an award winning recycling program, expensive to the consumer but worth it to me.
http://www.dallascitynews.net/dallas-recycling-facility-named-best-north-america

Dallas recycling facility named Best in North America
The City of Dallas’ material recovery facility (MRF) has been named the Best Recycling Facility in North America by the National Waste and Recycling Association. The MRF is operated by FCC Environmental Services, and opened at the beginning of 2017.

Also, Texas has a program where you can report those littering on the public roads, which I use all the time. http://dontmesswithtexas.org/

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
My grandparents lived on a farm and they recycled everything. Even the outhouse "material" was used as fertilizer in their vegetable garden.

They wasted nothing and if they saw one of us grand kids throwing something away that still had a use or if we wasted water or food they gave us a very stern warning. Repeat offenses were not a problem.:wink:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Canada, under the Liberal Trudeau Government (aka UN Puppet), has announced a complete ban on ALL SINGLE USE PLASTICS by 2021. That means water bottles, plastic cutlery, bags, straws, food containers, etc. People need to wake up and realize that Asia and Africa and their “shithole” countries are where the problem lies, not Canada or USA.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/90-of-plastic-polluting-our-oceans-comes-from-just-10-rivers/

And this is Canada’s Prime Minister, (the UN Puppet), when recently asked what is family is doing to reduce their use of plastic...

https://m.facebook.com/568938803293644/posts/those-paperumlike-drink-box-water-bottle-sorta-things-can-be-found-at-a-store-ne/1197171607137024/

·
Registered
949 Posts
This is worth the viewing if this topic is something you are interested in.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
here's a website to order your straws from... :)
$15 for ~23¢ worth of environment-ruining straws?

So screw the planet, and fleece your supporters at the same time...

Y'all are funny.

"You can have my straws when you take them from my cold, dead lips!"

"America isn't the problem, they are, so let's just keep on doing what makes me happy, and blame it on everyone else..."

Yes, Asia is a big source of plastic trash, just like cruise ships that dump everything right into the ocean.

So y'all just think we should't even bother to try?

"We need to protect the environment, but only if it doesn't inconvenience me too much..."

Personally, I never use straws. So no issue here at all, regardless of whether you prefer red or blue or purple...

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
@Meese, you must be one miserable individual. I'm convinced you're suffering from a severe case of cognitive dissonance. Hopefully you'll be cured in about 5.5 years. WRT to my comment, "It's a joke, not a dick, don't take it so hard." :)

Duane

·
Registered
948 Posts
$15 for ~23¢ worth of environment-ruining straws?

So screw the planet, and fleece your supporters at the same time...

Y'all are funny.

"You can have my straws when you take them from my cold, dead lips!"

"America isn't the problem, they are, so let's just keep on doing what makes me happy, and blame it on everyone else..."

Yes, Asia is a big source of plastic trash, just like cruise ships that dump everything right into the ocean.

So y'all just think we should't even bother to try?

"We need to protect the environment, but only if it doesn't inconvenience me too much..."

Personally, I never use straws. So no issue here at all, regardless of whether you prefer red or blue or purple...
Says the guy who rides a motorcycle long distances for no other reason than self-gratification, burning fossil fuels all along the route. Basically, you’re seeing how much gas you can burn in 11 days. Sounds counter-intuitive to me. Maybe riding a bicycle made out of bamboo would be better for the planet, just sayin’

If “we” are 2% of the problem and Asia is 80% of the problem, are we really to fix the problem?

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
5.5 years, LOL.

His prison sentence will be longer than that...

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
So you've also converted to fully electric vehicles for yourself and your family, fed from your own solar panels and wind farm?

Or did you simply go Fred Flintstone instead?

We all live in a wasteful society, but passing the blame onto others doesn't help anybody.

By the way, I can make up random percentages, too, and 87.4% of people surveyed said that straws are just stupid... :)

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
@RL Lemke , see what you started! And don't be coy, you knew what was to follow. :)

Duane

·
Registered
949 Posts
@Gunnert "It's a joke not a dick don't take it so hard"

This is brilliant sir! I have a new weapon in my arsenal against my wiseacre buddies

Thank you

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
litter is litter WHEREVER it is produced in the world, its part of the disposable society we live in. If NONE of us tossed it somewhere it shouldn't be this conversation would not have had legs. So maybe Asia is filthy, but you can't find any river or ocean that hasn't been effected now, Even the tourists just dump, though the natives maybe mostly responsible

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Until you find a way to compel countries like China and India to clean up the hydorcarbons they burn, countries like Brazil to stop clear-burning/cutting the rain forest and countries like Indonesia from dumping their garbage into the ocean, then banning one use plastic in North America is like farting against thunder.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
"We can't fix everything everywhere, so we should just do nothing, nowhere."

Hmm...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts