BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
One would have to be a pre-discovery-of-fire cave dweller to have a zero impact footprint. I want my kids and your kids and all their kids to have a livable planet, so I try to do what I reasonably can. One is either part of the solution or part of the problem.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Anyone who uses the term "Fake News" automatically forfeits whatever argument they were making.

It's the equivalent of a four-year-old sticking their fingers in their ears and screaming "La la la la I can't hear you!"

And it's just about as effective...

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
@Meese, missed your calling, you should've been a comedian. :) Save to say you don't want my hand-me-down MAGA hat. :)

Duane

·
Premium Member
5,695 Posts
I wonder how much of our (U.S.) non biodegradable plastics end up safely underground in a land fill vs in the environment? Just curious.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I keep telling you Duane, I'm not your enemy.

I simply see the world differently than you do, so I disagree with your "facts" and your assumptions. Which is why I will continue to argue against your false conclusions.

Not against you as a person—there are no personal attacks from my side—but against what you present here as your truth.

Big difference there...

It really is just that simple.

·
Registered
948 Posts
So you've also converted to fully electric vehicles for yourself and your family, fed from your own solar panels and wind farm?

Nope, and probably never will. Also own 3 pick-up trucks, not a single car. Oh, and I work in the energy industry. The black energy industry, not green energy.

Or did you simply go Fred Flintstone instead?

I do ride my bicycle everyday, for fitness and also for running errands around town Not because I’m worried about the environment, but because I’m cheap and save money on gas.

We all live in a wasteful society, but passing the blame onto others doesn't help anybody.

I call a spade a spade. And when 3rd world countries are the biggest polluter, I say so. Until they start doing their part and curb emissions to a meaningful degree, why should I be taxed to death on my carbon footprint?

By the way, I can make up random percentages, too, and 87.4% of people surveyed said that straws are just stupid... :)

You’re right, I did just make an educated guess as to how much America pollutes the ocean as compared to the number from Asia. Read my links in the earlier post, and I think the actual numbers are in there. If not, I have no problem obtaining exact numbers for you if you really want, as my guesses may have been on the low side. I just don’t have time right now...

And what got rid of the last ice age? Humans emitting carbon pollution? I don’t think so.

The earth goes thru natural heating and cooling periods. It’s very possible we are in a natural heating pattern right now, and humans are being blamed to fit personal agendas...
See answers above

·
Registered
948 Posts
So you've also converted to fully electric vehicles for yourself and your family, fed from your own solar panels and wind farm?

Or did you simply go Fred Flintstone instead?

We all live in a wasteful society, but passing the blame onto others doesn't help anybody.

By the way, I can make up random percentages, too, and 87.4% of people surveyed said that straws are just stupid... :)
So if you read my link you’d have learned that 10 rivers (8 of which are in Asia, 2 in Africa), carry 90% of the plastic pollution to the oceans. So yeah, my “guess” of Canada & USA polluting 2% is probably far, far too high. Probably more like 0.2%, but then again I’m just guessing :)

So yeah, isn’t it a great idea to ban plastic straws in USA?

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Is that the new "concealed carry"?

Politicians here in Canada are desperately trying to scam the population. "Climate emergency" while they fly around the world to conferences screaming the end is near.

And their solution to this emergency problem? A carbon tax, banning straws and increasing the population at a rate of 1% per year.

Not a single one of them is willing to stop flying to vacation resorts, or take out their air conditioners or give up their big black SUV's or stop feasting at the public trough.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
So now we're at "Nobody else will change, so why should I?"

Got it...

Politicians will always put their own interests first. Some are worse (and some way worse) than others, but that's just the way it is.

Using that as an excuse or for personal justification is just silly...

·
Registered
948 Posts

Got it...

Politicians will always put their own interests first. Some are worse (and some way worse) than others, but that's just the way it is.

Says the guy who burns as much fuel as possible in 11 days, wasting tires in the process. And you are concerned about saving the world???

I've always thought that those who whine the loudest about saving the planet are often the biggest hypocrites. Point proven.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Got it...

Here in lies the problem for me "their own interests first". So we should just comply and blindly follow? Doesn't work for me, that's the hierarchy and isn't that why our country was founded? The founding fathers were absolutely brilliant and WE just keep pissing away what they worked so hard to try and protect.

I won't purposely pollute (well not too bad anyway) but if my beer can happens to go in the trash and not the recycle bin I don't worry about it. Why? I am forced to pay a garbage fee to a company I can't choose and to top it off they want me to do their work for them. Plus I'm paying for people to sort through it anyway.

Guess I could get an electric vehicle then throw all my recyclables in the trash and feel good about it all. Isn't that what the whole carbon credit BS thing is about? Whole thing is a joke IMO anyway!

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you ever had to drink any of the prep stuff for lower GI or other tests I find that the straw is the best method for getting that junk down so I guess I better stock up McDonald’s has those nice fat ones but the bendy one are cool too

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts

Got it...

No, Ken, you have read something into what I wrote that was never intended.

My point is that the problem is not simple but the politicians make it sound like a couple of things like a carbon tax and ban on straws and the world will be saved....by Canadians who represent 1.6% of the problem.

My point is that the ones screaming the loudest better be prepared to be leaders and that means not just talking the talk but walking the walk.

My point is that it is political bluster intended to cow the public and make it seem they are the only ones to have the answers and are deserving of being voted into office (to feed at the public trough).

Where was the "Climate Emergency" when we had rivers burning, toxic dumps (Love Canal), factories dumping toxic chemicals out the back door, ozone holes, acid rain, clear cut forests, dumping raw sewage in rivers, lakes and oceans? All of these have happened in my life. All of these issues we have been tackling for the last 55 years or so. We have made progress and I know much more work needs to be done but politicians better not be drumming emergency. It is hippocrasy.

We all have a part to play in solving this mess we have made. I stopped for a pee in remote, rural Kentucky on my way home last month. I was shocked at the garbage in the ditch in such a remote area. It crossed my mind that people, in general, really do not give a ****. And, to me, that is the issue to tackle first.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Relative to the rest of the world America has done plenty to clean up. We've probably done 90% of what we can possibly do, and the rest of the world has done close to zilch. Al Gore's (and others) wealth has a direct correlation to our furthering our "green" stance.

If cleaning the environment was the goal, leaders would be fighting for sanctions against India and China and other dirty countries.

It now cost me 25 cents, maybe 50, I don't pay attention, for one "single use bag" at the grocery store. You know, the one I use a second time for my own trash.

I recycle regularly. I don't know why I bother since very little of it actually gets recycled.

On the flip side, I enjoy my internal combustion vehicles, I fly often, and I'm going on my first cruise this year. Oh ya, I fart....a lot.

You ever taste a paper straw? I'll give you one guess what they taste like.

I don't use straws anyway, unless I'm in the car. I like the taste of the cold whatever on my lips.

Never run with scissors, or metal straws.:grin:

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Y'all are funny.

This is even more absurdly entertaining than the FIFA thread... :D

21 - 40 of 59 Posts