BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought bike this week in for 6000 mile service, tires and oil. After talking to service for a few mins,my wife showed up right on time to pick me up. At this point I said thanks and I will remove panniers,I know they don’t want them in shop if they don’t have to be there put them in the car and drove home about an hour.when I got home I went to remove my cooler and bag with work clothes reading glasses ect. and could not open. When I released them I did not turn key all the back to unlocked DOE. I don’t think my ice pack is going to last till sat lol .

·
Registered
951 Posts
No offense sir, but this is funny. I can imagine this happening to me. Thankfully, one must have a degree from MIT to remove the panniers on the B, else this post would have been mine.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
No offense sir, but this is funny. I can imagine this happening to me. Thankfully, one must have a degree from MIT to remove the panniers on the B, else this post would have been mine.
I can about guarantee it would happen to me, but wouldn’t the gray plastic emergency key work for the OP?

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Use yer plastic key..... :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Or maybe your spare key. You have a spare key don't you?
Depends on the bike...

My '12 has two remote lock/alarm fobs, two metal keys, and one plastic key.

My '18 has one remote lock/alarm/metal key combo and one plastic key.

I actually prefer the '12's key configuration. I only take the key from the ignition when parking away from home overnight. It is always available to remove the seat or bags, and doesn't seem like it is always ready to snap in half like the remote combo unit. Still haven't come up with a good place to keep the '18's fob where it is as readily available, in the garage or on the road. :confused:

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Depends on the bike...

My '12 has two remote lock/alarm fobs, two metal keys, and one plastic key.

My '18 has one remote lock/alarm/metal key combo and one plastic key.

I actually prefer the '12's key configuration. I only take the key from the ignition when parking away from home overnight. It is always available to remove the seat or bags, and doesn't seem like it is always ready to snap in half like the remote combo unit. Still haven't come up with a good place to keep the '18's fob where it is as readily available, in the garage or on the road. :confused:
I have a '12 and I do the same thing. My brother has a '15 with the keyless ignition. He just leaves his fob in an upper pocket of his jacket. I do the same with his other fob and he as a spare key for my bike in that same pocket. We never leave our jackets/helmets on the bike when we go inside somewhere to eat. I'd rather have my helmet and jacket air conditioned instead of sitting in the hot sun.

If we're visiting a museum or some other attraction, then we lock the stuff to the bikes and take the keys/fobs with us.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
He just leaves his fob in an upper pocket of his jacket.
That works until I go out to the garage to do something with the bike only to realize the fob is still in the jacket hanging in the closet... :surprise:

Lately I've been leaving it in the fairing pocket while in the garage and move it to the jacket when I go som3.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
In my case, I’m pretty sure the plastic key is in one of two places I keep keys, but I have no special backup plan. Middle age, at least for my wife and me, can spoil good plans of special places things are put for special keeping. We usually just wind up hiding something from ourselves if we put it anywhere out of the ordinary, and feeling “special” ourselves.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
My oops! 1400 miles from home. Took a trip back home to central PA to visit family and take in a Penn State football game. I rode the K up, wife flew up. Weather was getting cooler and rainy so when she flew in she rented a car for us to use on bad weather days. Anytime we go up home we buy more crap then we can easily carry home with us. So this trip we decided to mail our purchases back to Florida. We grab all our crap and head to the local shipping store. On our way out I stopped to cover the bike. Unlocked her and put the cover on it. Stuck the keys in my jacket pocket and off we went. At the shipping store we start to box everything up and I decided to lighten my trip back south by throwing my jacket in the box. Yep, key still in the pocket. Didn’t notice this until the day before I was heading home. Had the trip all planned, ride the Blue Ridge all the way down then straight to south Florida. Wife flew out the day before I was leaving, I get up pack up my bags and head out to the bike. Now I am looking for my key, where could I have put the stupid thing? I just kept thinking as I am looking for the key about where the heck the key is. After about an hour it hit me like a brick. No way I could have done that....yes I did. The key was in the jacket I mailed home! Luckily the dealer in my home town was able to call my dealer in Florida get the VIN and then contact BMW to get a new key cut. This is all happening on a Friday mid morning. Keys are laser cut and just so happens in a town near Philly. They agreed to cut the key and overnight the key to the local dealer. By the time I was able to get on the road I had to take the fast track back to Florida. I even beat the package and took a video opening the box, grabbing the jacket and pulling the key out of the pocket. Boy did I feel like an idiot. If I can find the video I will post it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well all was well, picked up bike on sat ,tossed left over sandwich and containers went to lunch with wifey came out side and some one threw soda over left side 2hrs removing still stopped at farm for corn,tomatoes and blueberries any way try not to sweat the small stuff { : | >

·
Registered
951 Posts
No harm no foul moment.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Is this the bagger or gtl? On gtl you take the key past the unlock point to engage the release so when you take off they are unlocked naturally. Is this different on the bagger? Also can you take the side panniers of the GA, they seem to have lots of lights that look integral to the bike

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
The dot position unlocked
Release removes panniers
Also my wife asked if the tomato had a dent when I bought it I said no prob happened in transport very few tomato’s get to go 100+ mph
Looking at this I feel it might be the same on my bike but I only use the panniers for touring, not daily . We take them to hotel rooms and I'm sure they're always unlocked but looking at this maybe I just automatically turn the key back to unlocked once the release opens. I wonder what else I'm doing without engaging my brain!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts