BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for feedback from those who have purchased and used the handheld Bren Tuner "2017+ BMW K1600 Diagnostic Tool WITH Stage 2" (no need to re-hash earlier threads - I've read most or all of it!). I have read most of what I saw on their website and I watched the video showing how they used the tool on the S1000RR (strange. that the the video and other links under the K1600 header were not K1600 specific, nor did they mention the K1600, but I got the general idea). Regardless, I think I would be holding my breath when I started the bike after installing a new profile - not the kind of thing you want to go badly!

I have these questions:
  1. Am I correct in my belief that you do not have to remove tupperware and access or remove the ECU itself? And the OBD II connector is under the seat near the battery?
  2. It looks like you get 2 tuning profiles included with the price of the tool. I assume that one is for removing restrictions and returning the performance to the pre-2017 level. What is the other, a sort of standard stage 2 tuning profile? I see some mention of octane levels related to stage 2.
  3. Is there information on how to use the tool to read/reset fault codes? I didn't see it on the website.
  4. Did it work as advertised and without problems?
Thanks; I know that I could email or call Bren for answers, but any feedback you want to provide would be helpful. It's always nice to have input from a source other than the seller. If you prefer, feel free to message me.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
1) You only need to remove the seat. The plug is rectangular and at the front.

2) You'll end up with three files. 1. Stock BMW tune. 2. Stage I. I had Bren set that one up for typical 89 octane with 10% ethanol. 3. Stage II. I had them set this one up for 93 octane pure gasoline.

3) No, not that I'm aware of, anyway.

4) Yes! Stage I gives you the throttle response of the pre-2017 bikes and Stage II gives you what I call MANIAC MODE!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vandal, it sounds like that's just the ticket. I have a 2012 GTL and I'd like some of the new technology but I REALLY don't want to lose the hoodlum factor - it's a big reason I have the K16 and not another luxury touring bike. Sounds like stage 2 would get me all that and then some.

Regarding my question about the code reader function, the following is on the web site but with no instructions that I have found:

READ AND CLEAR ENGINE FAULTS – If for some reason you have an engine light, you’re able to plug in our diagnostic tool and read the codes from it. Using the codes you’re able to determine the issue with the bike. Sometimes these codes make the Engine Light come on. Even after the issue is fixed the engine light can stay on for a dealer to clear or stay on for a certain amount of key cycles. The diagnostic tool can clear these codes. As long as the issue is fixed, the diagnostic tool will eliminate the engine light.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I have never use the Bren handheld for fault codes. I use the GS-911 to read and clear those. When using the stage 1 and 2 maps you will see the engine light come on with the ignition but it goes out after the engine starts.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Thanks Vandal, it sounds like that's just the ticket. I have a 2012 GTL and I'd like some of the new technology but I REALLY don't want to lose the hoodlum factor - it's a big reason I have the K16 and not another luxury touring bike. Sounds like stage 2 would get me all that and then some.

Regarding my question about the code reader function, the following is on the web site but with no instructions that I have found:

READ AND CLEAR ENGINE FAULTS – If for some reason you have an engine light, you’re able to plug in our diagnostic tool and read the codes from it. Using the codes you’re able to determine the issue with the bike. Sometimes these codes make the Engine Light come on. Even after the issue is fixed the engine light can stay on for a dealer to clear or stay on for a certain amount of key cycles. The diagnostic tool can clear these codes. As long as the issue is fixed, the diagnostic tool will eliminate the engine light.
Yeah, I've got a feeling I'll be buying tires even more often than I already was now that I'm running the Stage II tune (but it's worth it!).

To be perfectly honest, I never paid any attention to the handheld being used as a code reader -- I just wanted my throttle response back. I'll have to check the reader function out.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Yes the Bren tool can be used to clear fault codes. It is one of the options when you power the device up by plugging in the OBD2 connection.

I'll look at mine tonight and post more specific details.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Given the total cost I saw someone pay for the mail-in stage 1 tune (shipping the ECU, etc.), plus the stage 2 fun and the code reader that come with the hand-held unit, I think I can justify the cost of the tool pretty easily. Besides, I'd rather not have to pull and replace the ECU. My timing is bad though - I missed the group buy you folks put together!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
The nice thing about the handheld is that you can swap back and forth between Stage 1 and Stage 2 but, equally important, you can flash back to the stock BMW tune when you take the bike back to the dealership for service.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are your reasons for going to stage 1 from stage 2? Seems like you'd want to stay there.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
What are your reasons for going to stage 1 from stage 2? Seems like you'd want to stay there.

I initially tried Stage 1 just to see what I thought. Since loading Stage 2 I've not switched back. As a matter of fact, I bought some octane booster to carry on the bike just in case I can't find the 93 octane gas when I need it.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I initially tried Stage 1 just to see what I thought. Since loading Stage 2 I've not switched back. As a matter of fact, I bought some octane booster to carry on the bike just in case I can't find the 93 octane gas when I need it.
Just curious...Which product are you using? How many oz.s do you add to a tank (6-7 gals) of fuel to go from 89 or 91 to 93?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With stage 2, does Rain Mode still have the soft throttle response you want for wet roads or gravel?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Just curious...Which product are you using? How many oz.s do you add to a tank (6-7 gals) of fuel to go from 89 or 91 to 93?
I just bought a couple of small bottles of STP octane booster, at Walmart, for now. Each bottle says it's good for 21 gallons so I figure I'll get three tankfuls out of each. Someone has posted up somewhere on the forum that Amsol sells even smaller bottles that are the right size for our tanks -- one bottle to one fill up. I might be checking into that.

@J-Luv, I just noticed I didn't completely answer your question. When adding the octane boost, I revert to the 89 octane ethanol mix. On a near-empty tank I pour approximately 1/3 of the octane booster and then fill 'er up.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
With stage 2, does Rain Mode still have the soft throttle response you want for wet roads or gravel?

I haven't tried rain mode since the tune. I have to believe it's still scaled back, proportionately.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm trying to start out with the handheld. The instructions say to select the correct ECU version. I have a GTL, but only GTs are on the list. There are 2 GT versions, MW17.2.4, and ME17.2. Which one do I want?

·
Registered
214 Posts
The nice thing about the handheld is that you can swap back and forth between Stage 1 and Stage 2 but, equally important, you can flash back to the stock BMW tune when you take the bike back to the dealership for service.
Have you switched to the STOCK tune and switched back to the Stage 2, any problems? Do you know if BMW does an update when the bike is brought into service and assuming we/me/you put the STOCK program in. Does the new update need to be loaded to the Handheld?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts