BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey Farzad
You need to attend the BMWMOA rally in Great Falls MT in June and meet your K1600 forum brothers while showing off your new wheels.
I wish I could, I am really due for visiting my family in Oshawa On and this year for my holiday my wife and I will be riding there!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
First, Farzad, I couldn't be happier for you, as the newest member of our Blue Planet Metallic Option 719 club. @RedCard and @J-Luv and I also have them in GT form (someone else here has a GTL like yours, but I forget who it is), I sprung for a color matched top case in the matching brown, but without the headrest, and James/J-Luv has the only pretty Russell seat I've ever seen, and in a saddle brown 719 color match called "Bomber" brown, no less.

You obviously went through the same thing I did with the decision, loving that color and the pinstriping on the one hand, while looking at the thousands cheaper or lightly used options available, if you were willing to compromise on color. Your choice was between feeling like a dummy for paying too much on the one hand (when from your life story, you obviously got where you are by being smart with your money), versus being sad you really didn't get exactly what you wanted on the other. I've always tried to be thrifty in some way or other with every single vehicle purchase ever except for this one, and I hope you're just like me in that you don't regret this one time getting exactly what you wanted, cheaper options be darned! There is nothing like rolling your seemingly-dull, almost-black-looking bike out of your darker garage into the sunlight, and seeing that navy blue with gold fleck go POP!

If your wife or accountant gives you grief, it was worth it! Let us know when she arrives.
Thanks for you lovely words....I am lucky to have a beautiful wife as my best friend, she is the one chose the coloure and all the options.....will post a photo when it arrives for sure!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The smartest thing any motorcycle or car buyer should do is buy what you really want, up to what your comfortable spending. You only live once, no change at the end.

Very happy for you, love the color and options you selected. It will be Beautiful! Congratulations sir

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Thanks Scott,
I cant wait to ride it....I put all the options and accessories on it except the louder mufflers!

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I love the blue metallic with brown seat. I thought the option 719 included the forged wheels?

Enjoy your trip!
As @Geoff_3 points out, the wheels are an option, and unfortunately, not a free one. But they are roughly 50% the cost when bought on the bike originally, versus buying them separately later. They are pretty hard to find with them, too, perhaps because they only have an edge in strength (not really necessary) and looks, and aren't really any lighter weight, so the dealers are often ordering them on the B/GAs, rather than on the GT/GTLs, maybe thinking those coming off cruisers would be more interested in the tasteful bling option.

If someone is looking for light weight (and money is no object; $3.5-ish a pair, IIRC) go for a set of carbon fiber rims. Ask @Gunnert about his.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The smartest thing any motorcycle or car buyer should do is buy what you really want, up to what your comfortable spending. You only live once, no change at the end.

Very happy for you, love the color and options you selected. It will be Beautiful! Congratulations sir

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
I agree. I special ordered a 2017 Corvette, it was something I always wanted to do, and I wanted what I wanted.

OP: I didn't notice the wheels until they were mentioned here. That bike is stunning in the pictures, I can only imagine how amazing it will look in person.

·
Registered
635 Posts
If I had known about the forged wheels when I bought my '18 GTL, I might have opted for them. The stock wheels look good, but those forged wheels are truly stunning. The aftermarket carbon wheels are sweet and light weight, but the metal ones spin up more than fast enough for me.

BMW did some nice paint on the Blue Planet. Same effect on Ebony: looks gloss black under indirect light and deep red metallic in sunlight or bright direct light.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Congratulations on a great looking K1600. Enjoy your ride across Canada!

·
Registered
677 Posts
As @Geoff_3 points out, the wheels are an option, and unfortunately, not a free one. But they are roughly 50% the cost when bought on the bike originally, versus buying them separately later. They are pretty hard to find with them, too, perhaps because they only have an edge in strength (not really necessary) and looks, and aren't really any lighter weight, so the dealers are often ordering them on the B/GAs, rather than on the GT/GTLs, maybe thinking those coming off cruisers would be more interested in the tasteful bling option.

If someone is looking for light weight (and money is no object; $3.5-ish a pair, IIRC) go for a set of carbon fiber rims. Ask @Gunnert about his.
Here in Australia if you buy the wheel 719 Option it is an extra $2,500.00 AUD and when you think about it you should get your standard wheels as they charge you for the 719 wheels so they are selling you a bike without wheels, in theory, just my mind racing with madness lol I have to admit I love the 719 wheels and thought about them but I think I am paying enough on the bike so did not go down that track.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Evidently (looking at MSRP on the USA Motorrad site) on bike purchase upgrading to the 719 forged wheel is a $1600 option. However, buying the pair outright is incredible: front wheel is $2843 and rear wheel is $1780. I'm surprised that deleting the stock wheels makes that much difference, but there it is.

I wish I had known about the forged wheels option when negotiating for the GTL. I wouldn't be surprised if they would come off the MSRP by several hundred bucks. Even $1600 on the purchase of a $25-30K bike is soon forgotten. In truth, a year and a half after writing a check for my GTL I'd have to go look at the paperwork to even remember exactly how much I paid for it.

If anybody out there regrets having spent the extra $1600 to get the forged wheels, I'd be happy to swap and pay you the difference. At least, if you are close enough to Seattle so we can meet someplace and don't get killed by shipping costs.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts