BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'13 K1600GT, '17 Bonneville T120
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '13 K1600GT with 15,000 miles on it from a local BMW dealer. Ever since I've owned this bike the outside air temperature gauge reads about 7 degrees higher than the actual outside temp. After reading some old posts about the temp sensor falling out and laying on top of the radiator I decided to look and see if this was my problem, if not I was going to try replacing the sensor. Well, the sensor had not fallen out onto the radiator BUT someone had installed it upside down. Instead of the sensing end sticking up into the fresh air duct it was sticking down below the air duct where warm air flowing thru the oil cooler would blow across the sensor.

UPSIDE DOWN SENSOR
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

RIGHT SIDE UP SENSOR
Steering part Fixture Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
It measures intake air temp as part of its density altitude calculations for proper Air:Fuel mixture.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
(Waiting for someone to start shouting about "Wind Chill")
🤪

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine must have been installed wrong from the dealer, since it reads a good 10degrees hotter now. I’ll have to take a look and see what they did to it. Also my Stebel horns not working and some of my rear lights aren’t working. This is why I hate having the dealer do any work on the bike, and I do 99% of the maintenance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad it was an easy fix. BTW, I'm amused at the need or want of an ambient temperature gauge! :rolleyes:
I agree, the ambient temp gauge is pretty much redundant on a motorcycle. When you're riding it's not to terribly hard to tell if it's hot or cold outside. But all of these bikes come equipped with one and I just can't help but fix anything on my bike that isn't working properly.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
I want to know ambient temperature. Even if the freeze warning didn’t come on I’ve needed to know if the potential is there. Do I want to continue? Should I stop? Am I getting dehydrated because I feel hotter than I should? I keep the temp displayed on my dash almost constantly. I want to know the temp outside my suit. I don’t expect it for everyone but I like having the info available.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I keep the temp displayed on my dash almost constantly.
Often wondered what other folks have there. I run TPMS 23.95/7. The other 0.05 I am checking some of the other values, like ambient temp...

Reactions: J-Luv

·
Scammer Hammer
4,058 Posts
Often wondered what other folks have there. I run TPMS 23.95/7. The other 0.05 I am checking some of the other values, like ambient temp...
I have tire pressure on the bike and on the Nav VI I have engine temp, ambient temp, km fuel range remaining, and one other thing that I am drawing a bank on.

Edit * Speedometer **

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I have tire pressure on the bike and on the Nav VI I have engine temp, ambient temp, km fuel range remaining, and one other thing that I am drawing a bank on.
I do not have a Nav VI. I have a Nav IV so about the only useful purpose it serves me is a 24/7 DTE in the right corner. Because I can display it there, I have the space available for the TPMS display. 😁

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do not have a Nav VI. I have a Nav IV so about the only useful purpose it serves me is a 24/7 DTE in the right corner. Because I can display it there, I have the space available for the TPMS display. 😁
I also have mine set to ambient temp in the right corner, it automatically changes to DTE when the fuel level gets to "reserve", or to TPMS if a tire pressure gets low etc.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts