BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
On my 2015 GT, the increments are every 9/10ths of a degree, like 33.3, 32.4, 31.5. I wonder if that is to give the impression of accuracy?
I noticed that as well and was a little confused until I realized that [a rise/fall of] 0.9° F = 0.5° C and then it made perfect sense. Same thing with the cruise control bump. Instead of incrementing 1 mph per bump (10 mph per 10 bumps), it takes 16 bumps to get 10 mph. The bike may be displaying "real" units, but at heart it is still a metric machine.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Good question. My ‘13 GT does the same, don’t know why.

Reactions: HunterSr

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GS Adventure Triple Black
924 Posts
I had a '12 GTL and my brother had a '15 GTL. While riding anyplace together, my ambient temp always read about 5 degrees hotter than his.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad it was an easy fix. BTW, I'm amused at the need or want of an ambient temperature gauge! :rolleyes:
Try riding in Alaska, in the spring and fall knowing the ambient temperature becomes very important. We have a very short riding season so a lot of us sometimes find ourselves riding in freezing or near freezing temperatures. It is fairly common to see ten degree temperature changes in less than a mile.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
671 Posts
Ok I wasn't clear. I meant the gauge on a bike. It is important to know the what the temperature will be on a trip. I just never felt the need to use the bike air temp guage. :)

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Mine is a consistent 3º above actual temperature since birth. Maybe mine is installed sideways? :p

• Haha
Reactions: HunterSr

·
Registered
'13 K1600GT, '17 Bonneville T120
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Is this the sensor that used by the tire pressure indications?

View attachment 165296
The ambient temp sensor does not affect tire pressure display values. The TPMS (RDC) sensors in each wheel contain their own temp sensors for that purpose.

·
Registered
K1600GTL
68 Posts
I display temp exclusively as well. I live in a very dry state where it's either desert or fire so I ride year round as a rule. I monitor temps so I don't overheat myself or so I can be watchful of ice if there's any moisture on the roads. I will also install a pair of handlebar gauntlets in very cold weather. Since fuel and tire pressure monitors switch automatically if there's a problem, I'm fairly well covered for mechanical and comfort awareness.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Since fuel and tire pressure monitors switch automatically if there's a problem, I'm fairly well covered for mechanical and comfort awareness.
I prefer to see those issues coming rather than waiting until the bike thinks it is time to tell me about them. I do not care how hot or cold it gets. Good gear mitigates that well enough.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts