BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since 2013 we have been building and selling the DUSAK passenger backrest to Forum members and it’s visitors.

Over the years we have made improvements, specifically to the connection between the base plate and backrest plate. Based on customer feedback, this year's 4th generation model change was to add a new larger base plate and include cargo attachment slots along the edges. These changes offer additional support & the ability to securely attach cargo including the popular tail bags, creating a more functional luggage rack.

Other features include:

1. Wide contoured backrest with spring articulation that moves with the passenger.
2. 1/4” aluminum luggage rack with rubber strips to hold luggage secure and to protect the powder coat finish.
3. Custom size HDPE blocks that fit like puzzle pieces to prevent distorting and cracking of the OEM racks and to strongly secure the assembly, preventing side to side and back and forth movement.
4. The backrest plate itself as well as the triangular gussets go through it's mating part, creating a strong mechanical connection that is welded to the underside for a cleaner look and stronger attachment.
5. Easy 1 minute installation.

Fits all GT, GTL and GTLE models. Available in satin black. Price is $399 plus shipping. International shipping available.

You can contact me at [email protected], call 607-857-0556 or PM me on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Great job, Dan, really like all the improvements!

Duane

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great job, Dan, really like all the improvements!

Duane
Thanks Duane and Thank You so much for your help with the GT model fitment. You saved me what is now a 300 mile round trip to my dealer. Whats that cee-garr you smoke? Ill have send you one ! Thanks again Dan

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All, I wanted to share my latest YouTube video that supersedes the 2013 version. It covers the Backrest construction as well as installation. Thanks for watching! Dan

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Dan, great video and great product! The custom backrest/luggage rack you made for me a couple of years ago is flawless. This is a great alternative instead of purchasing a $1500+ top case and much more functional, not to mention the weight savings. If you like to run your bike without the side cases but still need storage your backrest is a must have.

You don't hear much on here about your backrests... Wonder how many tried/bought one and their comments?

Duane

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Bags

Dan, one more question... what bags would you recommend? Many options out there, but figured I'd ask the expert for the best fit. :wink:

Thanks!

B

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use the Tourmaster Coaster SL which holds its shape well without collapsing when empty. The side compartments are nice for maps and small things that would get lost in the main section.
At 20”wide x 10” front to back and 11” tall it’s large enough for a 2 up all day trip.

The other bag I have used before is the Harley #93300005 overnight bag. The thing I like about the Harley unit is it has a stretchy attachment band that goes over the backrest pad. Similar size and features of the Tourmaster with lots of additional attachment rings to bungee things to. Downside is the bottom requires a piece of 1/4” plywood to keep the bag from collapsing and losing its shape.
Pictured is the Tourmaster on my bike. Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Backrest...

Just received my backrest and was impressed with the engineering and quality plus the unit installed in less than fifteen minutes. I am very pleased with this product and how quickly it was shipped and received. Thanks Dan!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
My backrest was shipped by Dan the day I ordered it. I received it two days later. As already said, the engineering and execution are excellent and the finishes are top quality. I haven’t had a chance to put it on the bike yet as I recently moved and have to find a clear/safe storage spot for the oem trunk. I love riding the bike without the weight of the trunk and much prefer the look without it as well. Problem is, my new wife, who loves riding with me, is afraid to ride without something behind her. This backrest is perfect for my needs and the look is BMW quality. I am very pleased with the new changes on the version 4 as I will often use a small bag back there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just placed my order with Dan. Couldn’t be happier with the transaction. Will post some photos when installed on bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My backrest arrived today and within five minutes it was installed. Great quality and service. More than happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just received & installed my Gen 4 backrest yesterday. Fits great, looks great, & easy to install!!
Got a hold of Dan on short notice & he hooked me up by sending the backrest out the same day FedEx.

Thanks again Dan, you guys Rock!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts