BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to test ride this weekend, They do not have the exact model we are looking for but if we ride a GT with a top case will it give us an idea of passenger accommodations and ride quality compared to a GTL and GA? It’s a smoothness issue for my wife more than anything and I know it’s the same motor across the line but I’m not buying assuming it will work for us...

JJ

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Same engine, different seating. The GTL seat is wider for the passenger than the GT. For my wife, it was preferable.

Test ride the GT, GTL and GA. It’s the only way you’ll know for sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same engine, different seating. The GTL seat is wider for the passenger than the GT. For my wife, it was preferable.

Test ride the GT, GTL and GA. It’s the only way you’ll know for sure.
Would love to but I have 2 dealers relatively close and neither have a GA or GTL. Yes we can wait but one dealer has another bike we are interested in as well (RT) but didn’t want to make a decision without riding the 1600...Of course if she doesn’t like the RT then no issue waiting on the other two for a test ride...

JJ

·
Registered
257 Posts
More efficient to make the right buy decision first, than to make the wrong decision and then find yourself trading that new bike ‘too soon’ and loosing money because of that out of the door depreciation. Might be worth the time to wait for test rides of each model first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More efficient to make the right buy decision first, than to make the wrong decision and then find yourself trading that new bike ‘too soon’ and loosing money because of that out of the door depreciation. Might be worth the time to wait for test rides of each model first.
And I agree, I would think the GA and GTL would be more comfortable the main concern is vibration for her which I would think could be determined on GT as well. And again if the RT doesn’t work for her then obviously we would move on to trying the other two...
JJ

·
Registered
83 Posts
The GT vs GTL models...GT has less footroom for the passenger due to the sportier riding position of the driver. We also test rode both before buying, picked the GTL for us.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
We bought the GT with top box. She is only a part time participant and I prefer the GT. There’s more room on the GT than we had on the FJR. And the GTL top box sits slightly further back because the rear rack is slightly longer so there is an extra inch or two for the pillion. With some seats, the pillion sits a little higher than the driver; the GTL-E comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
If your wife like the GT seating ... she will Love the GTL ... and if you put floorboards on for the passenger she will never leave you ...
:)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Definitely test drive the GT this weekend. I test rode the GT first thinking that would be my preference, but I knew right away the passenger ergonomics would be a no-go for my wife. Coming from an LT, her passenger expectations are better met by a GTL. Of course, you could end up deciding otherwise.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,552 Posts
If the priority for you wife is "smoothness issue" then the "football is in your hands". All K1600 will suffice for her.

Duane

·
Registered
289 Posts
Buy a GT for you, a GTL for her (or him) on the back unless that person is small, then it may not make much of a difference. I have a GT and the rear seat could be bigger and I am moving from a GT Box to a GTL box for her comfort and having to get a new grid for the box to be moved to GTL position.

Get the right bike that meets your needs instead of correcting or trading it in later.

It all comes down to use, what you think you will be using it for...a GTL will be much more comfortable for a passenger on a long trip/ride. The GTL has better passenger comfort/space, so if that is a top priority then stop looking at the GT completely. A GT would be better for 1-up sporting rides. A GT should be fine on shorter 2-up rides, body type of the passenger depending for longer rides.

Better to try them all with the passenger to find out before you get the wrong one. Some ppl love the bagger, some not so much...it's hard to compare as they are radically different setups. The bagger will not handle like the GT or GTL, so if you want more "sport/handling" then the bagger is not for you. Don't go by looks alone...you may like the look only to find it doesn't perform as you thought.

Lots to think about...the test rides will help immensely.

CJ

Reactions: JohnS1955

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buy a GT for you, a GTL for her (or him) on the back unless that person is small, then it may not make much of a difference. I have a GT and the rear seat could be bigger and I am moving from a GT Box to a GTL box for her comfort and having to get a new grid for the box to be moved to GTL position.

Get the right bike that meets your needs instead of correcting or trading it in later.

It all comes down to use, what you think you will be using it for...a GTL will be much more comfortable for a passenger on a long trip/ride. The GTL has better passenger comfort/space, so if that is a top priority then stop looking at the GT completely. A GT would be better for 1-up sporting rides. A GT should be fine on shorter 2-up rides, body type of the passenger depending for longer rides.

Better to try them all with the passenger to find out before you get the wrong one. Some ppl love the bagger, some not so much...it's hard to compare as they are radically different setups. The bagger will not handle like the GT or GTL, so if you want more "sport/handling" then the bagger is not for you. Don't go by looks alone...you may like the look only to find it doesn't perform as you thought.

Lots to think about...the test rides will help immensely.

CJ
All good points, for reference we had an 09 ultra classic for almost 10 hrs and a concours 14 the last two. Got tired of the weight of the Harley, the concours is a great solo bike but top heavy and tall for me. So looking for something a little lower and less than 800LBS hence the RT and K series... Test rides are on the calendar...

JJ

·
Mr.Fix It
7,552 Posts
@Jerryleejr , if you and your wife were comfortable on a Concours then the GT will be a perfect fit.

Duane

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think the GTL or GTLE would be best for you. If you are shorter the GA is a good choice but be aware that there is a difference between the GT/GTL and the GA in handling/leaning (so I am told). I wish they made a GTL-Sport, GT front, GTL back. I just like the GT seating position but want the GTL back for the wife.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We had an RT, and now have a GTL - and my wife prefers the GTL by a wiiiide margin. We put the factory arm rests on my non-Exclusive GTL and she's never been happier as a pillion. I found a local welder/fabricator to do the arm rest Mod for us, so the arm rests are only mounted when she's riding with me.

Despite being bigger and heavier, I have a lower seat height and better ground reach on the GTL than I had with the RT. With my short legs, it matters a LOT!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts