BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A firestorm erupted last March when a video surfaced that showed a Texas police officer pepper spraying a group of motorcyclists riding past his patrol car. Motorcyclists who watched the video (now with more than three million views) were angered at the apparent assault on riders. The cop, William Figueroa, claimed he needed to spray the riders because they wouldn’t vacate the lane next to his patrol car that was pulled over at the side of the road.

Surely the overly aggressive cop would be severely reprimanded for his actions that could’ve hurt or even killed riders as they rode past, right? Well, thanks to our favorite moto-riding attorney, John Butrus, we were able to dig into the situation. Sadly, the outcome of the investigation seems to be far too lenient for an officer who demonstrated a complete lack of concern for the safety of our fellow riders.
Read more about the Pepper-Spraying Texas Cop Update at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Wow, just WOW! I'm a law and order kind of guy but this S.O.B. needs more than a wrist slap. He put these motorcyclists in grave danger and should, at the very least, lose his job.

Reactions: Morgan

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
As a former State Trooper, if I had observed him in the act he would have had some immediate issues!! It's officers like him that give all a bad rap!! What an idiot!

·
Registered
602 Posts
The retard could have caused loss of life with his juvenile stunt!

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Yea but he felt like a big man for that moment, and he was able to hide behind his badge while putting others in serious danger. And he didn't get in any trouble which means his behavior was rewarded and he'll likely do something like that again.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Yea but he felt like a big man for that moment, and he was able to hide behind his badge while putting others in serious danger. And he didn't get in any trouble which means his behavior was rewarded and he'll likely do something like that again.
As a State Trooper FTO, the last ride before I released a new Trooper to the street on his own, I would tell them to buy a rat tail file and when they got home sit down and file all the sharp edges off their badge. (Usually got the deer in the headlights look.) Meaning, if they had a hanker'n to hide behind or flaunt their badge it wouldn't hurt quite so bad when someone stuck it up their [email protected]& !!

That young man needs a Rat Tail File!!

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I'd have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. Texas state law says you must either move over a lane OR slow to a max of 20mph below the speed limit. Here, I looked up and am correct.

Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 545.157 | FindLaw

Nothing I saw in the article seemed to mention that law, or if he actually new if the motorcycles were violating that law or not, or for that matter, if the officer was in compliance with the rules applying to that situation. How did he manage to clock the motorcycles in order to verify they were breaking the law, then grab his pepper spray and spray them before they went by? In my estimation, it was a set up by the cop to harass some motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
I suppose I should walk a day in his boots to better understand him. In Virginia the law says you have to either move over a full lane or slow way down if there's an emergency vehicle on the shoulder. Law enforcement suffer injury and death every year from people not adhering to that law. I don't know this Officer or what he's experienced. And I know it's dangerous out there, now more than ever. But from the look of it he shouldn't have done that.

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
I suppose I should walk a day in his boots to better understand him. In Virginia the law says you have to either move over a full lane or slow way down if there's an emergency vehicle on the shoulder. Law enforcement suffer injury and death every year from people not adhering to that law. I don't know this Officer or what he's experienced. And I know it's dangerous out there, now more than ever. But from the look of it he shouldn't have done that.
In that case, a pushing motion with his arms above his shoulders indicating the group needs to move over in the next lane would have been sufficient. This guy should have been punished and then roughed up after his shift.

Reactions: Morgan

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
It would have been ironic had one of the bikes lost control due not being able to see or choking on the fumes and ran over him. He was making the overall situation more dangerous by what he was doing.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
I'm not sure which is worse, what the LEO did or the support he seems to be getting from his chain of command. Definite little man syndrome.....gives all officers a bad name.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was a cop for 29 years. I was very lucky in my career. I never met anyone this stupid in a uniform. He should be charged with assault on the bike riders and fired. I hope that more light is shed on this and the Fort Worth P.D. will have to discipline this idiot. I am forwarding this story and I hope all of you in the forum will do the same. Maybe the story will end up in front of someone that will make a change. Ride safe and I hope to see y'all out there.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
While I understand the concern some have voiced over this police officers actions, take a good look at the picture. The OC spray isn't even close to making it into the faces of the riders so whatever the reason is, the actions by this officer were pointless and yes, stupid. Had he been using an OC canister that deployed the contents in a "stream" as some do, then perhaps things would have been different. Usually when an officer does something this dumb they are the ones that take the main hit of the spray from blowback.

Without doing some research I can only guess that this officer received some bad news from his department once the picture surfaced. What I would like to know is what caused this (not too smart) officer to act in this fashion and by now I would have hoped that everyone on this forum would know, based on recent events, one picture or short video clip doesn't show or tell an entire story. Judging from the looks of the group of bikers passing the Fort Worth officer I will bet money they weren't out on a nice slow Sunday ride. Now this doesn't make the officers actions excusable, but I'll bet there was a great deal more going on here then that single picture shows.

Rick H.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
While I understand the concern some have voiced over this police officers actions, take a good look at the picture. The OC spray isn't even close to making it into the faces of the riders so whatever the reason is, the actions by this officer were pointless and yes, stupid. Had he been using an OC canister that deployed the contents in a "stream" as some do, then perhaps things would have been different. Usually when an officer does something this dumb they are the ones that take the main hit of the spray from blowback.

Without doing some research I can only guess that this officer received some bad news from his department once the picture surfaced. What I would like to know is what caused this (not too smart) officer to act in this fashion and by now I would have hoped that everyone on this forum would know, based on recent events, one picture or short video clip doesn't show or tell an entire story. Judging from the looks of the group of bikers passing the Fort Worth officer I will bet money they weren't out on a nice slow Sunday ride. Now this doesn't make the officers actions excusable, but I'll bet there was a great deal more going on here then that single picture shows.

Rick H.
Rick, here is the problem. You don't see a group of motorcycles or even a car coming toward you while you are on the side of the road conducting official business with your police lights flashing and say "hey, they are not going to slow down to 20 below the limit" (see my first post above) and have time to grab the pepper spray and do what he did. That almost had to be a set up. And it truly amazes me that nowhere has there been any mention other than what I posted as to what the actual law says and how he knew they were breaking said law.

I agree there is more to the story as to why he was standing there waiting for someone to go by to cause his actions. But nobody is sharing what that would have been. That by itself sounds suspicious.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts