BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know the Veskimo's been out there for a few years but, at this price point, this could be a game changer. I'm considering it. Like heated gear, I can see myself getting used to this in a hurry. The completely self-contained version is a sweet alternative, too.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
After my return trip from Tn a few weeks ago in nasty traffic and 107* heat, I might see about buying this system.

·
Flying Dutchman
69 Posts
Interesting technology. Luckily it isn't so hot here in Northern Europe that we need it. Although the coming week we have a "heat wave" here, which means over 30C (90F)... 😎
Mesh jackets and evaporating cooling vests are enough to keep cool. 😅

·
KBiK
1,463 Posts
I had something similar from Veskimo and it was useless. Even when I used a solid block of ice in the cooler, it only lasted about an hour in the 95+ Texas summer heat.

Veskimo no longer sell their cooling vests.

Reactions: dobervol

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had something similar from Veskimo and it was useless. Even when I used a solid block of ice in the cooler, it only lasted about an hour in the 95+ Texas summer heat.

Veskimo no longer sell their cooling vests.
Veskimo, that's what I meant, not Igloo!

Reactions: amorley

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Interesting technology. Luckily it isn't so hot here in Northern Europe that we need it. Although the coming week we have a "heat wave" here, which means over 30C (90F)... 😎
Mesh jackets and evaporating cooling vests are enough to keep cool. 😅
Riding with a mesh jacket and a cooling vest, is counterintuitive, the cooling vest will dry out quickly. Here in AZ I ride with a regular riding jacket KLIM..and I use a cooling vest under it. Works the best for me.

·
KBiK
1,463 Posts
Veskimo, that's what I meant, not Igloo!
The Veskimo required a 12v power supply whereas this uses a rechargeable battery but I'm not sure what other improvements the Cycle Chiller provides. The "cooler chest" on the Veskimo was a simpler tupperware type container wrapped in an insulated vest. This does not look much different. To be effective in our heat, I think you would need a Yeti/Rtic style cooler.

My other problem was it took up the rear seat where I normally put my touring bag with all my camping gear.

I still believe the best solution for the heat is constant hydration. This is the solution I use, though I now put the cooler in one side of the Aerostich Panniers.

·
KBiK
1,463 Posts

·
Flying Dutchman
69 Posts
Riding with a mesh jacket and a cooling vest, is counterintuitive, the cooling vest will dry out quickly. Here in AZ I ride with a regular riding jacket KLIM..and I use a cooling vest under it. Works the best for me.
You're right, I meant those two as separate options, normally not to use them together. The climate is much more moderate here, no deserts here, a bit more like the North West of the US.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,424 Posts
Yeah, I'm a VERY hot natured person, so if one of these things ever truly worked for long distances, was durable, and was sold by a company that stayed in business for product support, I'd pay handsomely for one, but no one's ever met my "IF".

Re the article, what people in climes like TN where it's often BOTH hot AND humid need to keep in mind is that in 90-plus F heat, with over 90% humidity at the same time, you get next to zilch from the evaporative effect, as the air is already saturated with moisture. The ONLY way to keep comfortably riding in those conditions is to, as I call it, DRPR: DrinkRidePeeRepeat. Cold liquid INSIDE your body is the solution, even if it's annoying to have to pull over every 30-45 minutes to, as our UK friends across the pond say, spend a penny.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Being acclimated to a cooler area, I could really see enjoying one of these for those trips to the hot areas, but wouldn't it make lots of sense to add a 12V heating element to it as well? Then it could be heat AND cool, because there have been days when I could use both. How neat would it be to have that in one package?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Forget it, fellows—they are out of business. I tried to sell mine (it’s actually a pain in the ass) late last year and got no hits at all. I trashed it. Lost $700. Lesson learned.
Earlier comment on hydration is spot on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts