BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Simplest & cheapest solution - a $10 bicycle water bottle cage, mounted on the upper fairing, using the factory screw. It holds my travel mug for coffee in the morning, and an insulated water bottle filled with ice & water for the afternoon. It literally takes less than a minute to install or remove. I needed to use a slightly longer screw on mine, due to the thickness of the base on the holder.
Yup, thanks to brother Steve way back in 2013 for this idea. I did add some double stick tape to the back side to help keep it from twisting if bumped. These insulated Contina water bottles with a built in straw are the best.

Attachments

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Upside Down
2,074 Posts
I ended up doing the same mount on the stem as I did with my old 2017 GTL so now have the advantage of using two outing points one on the bars and the other in the center of the bars which I prefer. I had to mod my Roundel by drilling a hole for the 10mm bolt that goes through the 1`` Ram ball into the stem. It is nowhere as neat and quality as Arizona Jim's excellent quality workmanship, but it cost me nothing by using spare parts I have had laying around and will do for now.

IMG_0280.jpeg
IMG_0282.jpeg
IMG_0264.jpeg
IMG_0265.jpeg
IMG_0281.jpeg

Reactions: sbennett53

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ended up doing the same mount on the stem as I did with my old 2017 GTL so now have the advantage of using two outing points one on the bars and the other in the center of the bars which I prefer. I had to mod my Roundel by drilling a hole for the 10mm bolt that goes through the 1`` Ram ball into the stem. It is nowhere as neat and quality as Arizona Jim's excellent quality workmanship, but it cost me nothing by using spare parts I have had laying around and will do for now.

View attachment 144001 View attachment 144002 View attachment 144003 View attachment 144004 View attachment 144005
I tried the SP Lock and Quad lock and I really liked them, but at the time I was renting HD Street Glides and there wasn’t a good mounting option for the bars, that I could easily install/remove. While waiting for a solution for the SP Lock, I tried the quad lock and the same issue. Since I had replaced my phone a couple times and really did not like the locking case that I had to replace each time. So I went with the system I have now, simply because I didnt want to keep buying cases every year. Glad it works for you...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup, thanks to brother Steve way back in 2013 for this idea. I did add some double stick tape to the back side to help keep it from twisting if bumped. These insulated Contina water bottles with a built in straw are the best.
This is more difficult now with the 2019 K1600B.. the fairing has a bend in it making such a mount difficult at best.

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Upside Down
2,074 Posts
Nice job and free is always a bonus.
Jim thanks just not the quality of your mount and not as strong I used a large washer that fitted inside the back of the roundel once I cut the steam off then used a 10mm nut on the bolt to secure the washer to the back of roundel and make it stronger.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a phone mount for my 2019 GTL and it’s working well with my iPhone 11Pro
Their website now says DON'T USE IT with an iPhone 11, etc. I destroyed two iPhone using a similar product on an XR. They vibrations through the handlebars killed the camera in the phone. Have you had any problems with it like that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Their website now says DON'T USE IT with an iPhone 11, etc. I destroyed two iPhone using a similar product on an XR. They vibrations through the handlebars killed the camera in the phone. Have you had any problems with it like that?
I Actually didn't go ahead with that solution. I went with a Guaime mount , Quad Lock ram phone holder, and use a Tecmate Optimate charger

·
Registered
36 Posts
My iPhone 11 is working fine. The IS lens is the piece that is at risk, but this is any IS camera (a image stabilizing lens). The reason is that the lens floats either via springs or magnetically. Shaking the lens to violently could damage the lens in theory. I believe this is really just an issue if the camera is on.
The issue has nothing to do with the mount, it exists with all mounts. Any excessive vibration can cause this issue. The vibration on the k1600 is almost non-existing. Compare to a Harley where the vibration has been known to take out IS lenses. The notice is not specific to that mount either, the notice regarding iPhone 11 reports is applied to all their mounting systems, for liability reasons. My iPhone 11 has not been affected in the last 2k miles of riding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is a great discussion - thanks for all of your input here.
I've had my K1600GTL for 4 years but I'm just now interested in mounting my iPhone 11 to it. I like the idea of having the phone centered -- not off to either side on a handlebar, although I see some handlebar-mounted setups here that put the phone in the center of the handlebars.

Does Arizona Jim's mount work with a tank bag? (in portrait and landscape modes)

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Hi guys, I've tried several incarnations of suitable phone mounts, none of which have been entirely satisfactory. Charging etc is solved using an Optimate Monitored USB fed under the tupperware direct to the battery from the handlebars with SAE rubberised and so far waterproof connectors. The 'monitored' part makes sure its cut off should the battery get below a certain value.

The main issue however remains, seeing the phones screen. I have a Samsung s9+ which, even with brightness turned all the way up, is invisible in anything approaching a sunny day. Has anyone resolved the visibility issue of which, I am surely not the only victim?

I have the 1" ball fitted to the steering stem replacing the roundal, or whatever its called. (not sure that's a word) which 'was' used with an SP Phone Mount and cover. In rain the electrical connector to the phone suffered from water getting into it, causing the phone to shut down. Moreover the Phones visibility was poor to none. My current Wunderlich Media bag solved the water issue but again makes the phone virtually invisible in daylight.

I've been toying with the idea of investing yet again and fitting a Ram Mount extended arm to the roundall ball bringing the phone closer to me with one of their new Ram Quick Grip Waterproof Wireless Charging Holder attached to that. It is though, an expensive option, and one which I am reluctant to take, only to end up with the same issues. I understand this new mount is waterproof.

Anyone with experience of this mount?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi guys, I've tried several incarnations of suitable phone mounts, none of which have been entirely satisfactory. Charging etc is solved using an Optimate Monitored USB fed under the tupperware direct to the battery from the handlebars with SAE rubberised and so far waterproof connectors. The 'monitored' part makes sure its cut off should the battery get below a certain value.

The main issue however remains, seeing the phones screen. I have a Samsung s9+ which, even with brightness turned all the way up, is invisible in anything approaching a sunny day. Has anyone resolved the visibility issue of which, I am surely not the only victim?

I have the 1" ball fitted to the steering stem replacing the roundal, or whatever its called. (not sure that's a word) which 'was' used with an SP Phone Mount and cover. In rain the electrical connector to the phone suffered from water getting into it, causing the phone to shut down. Moreover the Phones visibility was poor to none. My current Wunderlich Media bag solved the water issue but again makes the phone virtually invisible in daylight.

I've been toying with the idea of investing yet again and fitting a Ram Mount extended arm to the roundall ball bringing the phone closer to me with one of their new Ram Quick Grip Waterproof Wireless Charging Holder attached to that. It is though, an expensive option, and one which I am reluctant to take, only to end up with the same issues. I understand this new mount is waterproof.

Anyone with experience of this mount?
I am using the Ram Quick Grip waterproof wireless charger with a Samsung S20 Ultra. I run the USB cord over to a waterproof USB adaptor attached to the top/right powerlet socket in the fairing. The Quick Grip is attached to a steering column ball mount, and their shortest double arm socket (roughly 1 3/4" center to center). In portrait mode, I have found the Quick Grip is easier to get the phone in/out of when the USB cord exits out the top (upside down). Phone seems to charge just as well either way. I did not need to use the USB extension cord that came with the Quick Grip. I pivot the phone/mount up when I need to gas up. Works fine so far. My phone is in a flip case, so Ram's other waterproof wireless charging base would not have played nice with my phone case.

Can't help you with sunlight washing out your S9 screen. I have no trouble reading my screen with bright sun shining on it.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts