BMW K1600 Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Hi guys, I've tried several incarnations of suitable phone mounts, none of which have been entirely satisfactory. Charging etc is solved using an Optimate Monitored USB fed under the tupperware direct to the battery from the handlebars with SAE rubberised and so far waterproof connectors. The 'monitored' part makes sure its cut off should the battery get below a certain value.

The main issue however remains, seeing the phones screen. I have a Samsung s9+ which, even with brightness turned all the way up, is invisible in anything approaching a sunny day. Has anyone resolved the visibility issue of which, I am surely not the only victim?

I have the 1" ball fitted to the steering stem replacing the roundal, or whatever its called. (not sure that's a word) which 'was' used with an SP Phone Mount and cover. In rain the electrical connector to the phone suffered from water getting into it, causing the phone to shut down. Moreover the Phones visibility was poor to none. My current Wunderlich Media bag solved the water issue but again makes the phone virtually invisible in daylight.

I've been toying with the idea of investing yet again and fitting a Ram Mount extended arm to the roundall ball bringing the phone closer to me with one of their new Ram Quick Grip Waterproof Wireless Charging Holder attached to that. It is though, an expensive option, and one which I am reluctant to take, only to end up with the same issues. I understand this new mount is waterproof.

Anyone with experience of this mount?
I just bought the ram mount and replaced my x grip. I have the center roundel mount and the whole package works well. The quality of the mount is excellent, it is expensive, and feels it! I also put a ram ball mount on my electric bicycle so at least I can use it in two locations. really nice going for a ride and coming back with a fully charged phone! (I think I need to get a ram ball mount for my golf bag as well)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've used mine with a tank bag.
Thanks, Jim.
My tank bag is an RKA product and it fits much closer to the handlebars -- covering the fuel fill cap. Using your mount I would have to go with a taller extension to get it above the front edge of the tank bag. I'll look into this.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi guys, I've tried several incarnations of suitable phone mounts, none of which have been entirely satisfactory. Charging etc is solved using an Optimate Monitored USB fed under the tupperware direct to the battery from the handlebars with SAE rubberised and so far waterproof connectors. The 'monitored' part makes sure its cut off should the battery get below a certain value.

The main issue however remains, seeing the phones screen. I have a Samsung s9+ which, even with brightness turned all the way up, is invisible in anything approaching a sunny day. Has anyone resolved the visibility issue of which, I am surely not the only victim?

I have the 1" ball fitted to the steering stem replacing the roundal, or whatever its called. (not sure that's a word) which 'was' used with an SP Phone Mount and cover. In rain the electrical connector to the phone suffered from water getting into it, causing the phone to shut down. Moreover the Phones visibility was poor to none. My current Wunderlich Media bag solved the water issue but again makes the phone virtually invisible in daylight.

I've been toying with the idea of investing yet again and fitting a Ram Mount extended arm to the roundall ball bringing the phone closer to me with one of their new Ram Quick Grip Waterproof Wireless Charging Holder attached to that. It is though, an expensive option, and one which I am reluctant to take, only to end up with the same issues. I understand this new mount is waterproof.

Anyone with experience of this mount?
This setup works for me, brings phone up close for view
ABA09C23-1AD5-4B44-8109-B1E7D7F126CC.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, Jim.
My tank bag is an RKA product and it fits much closer to the handlebars -- covering the fuel fill cap. Using your mount I would have to go with a taller extension to get it above the front edge of the tank bag. I'll look into this.
Update - I checked my RKA tank bag. The roundel mount sold by Arizona Jim is still a good option for me. A simple Ram extension arm should be all that's needed to make it work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quad lock is the best, easiest and secure mount I have ever used. Only downside is you have to use their phone case but it’s an awesome mount.
Does the Quad Lock (and SP Connect) block a phone's wireless charging ability?

·
Registered
K1600 GA, R18, R1200GSA LC, R ninet, Super tenere1200, Honda Monkey125, Burgman 650
88 Posts
I agree .plus no vibrations, I have use lot of combinations and hated the Xgrip as it always ended up touching the buttons on the side of the phone plus it vibrated a lot. So now the combination or some ram great and the Quad mount works so well.

Very nice, Is this the same one??
I want to set up the same mounting system. Thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes. Wireless charging requires the back of the phone be within a couple millimeters. These devices put a thick hard plastic mount assembly right in the spot the charging coils are. If you use either, you will need to remove the phone from the case to wirelessly charge.
honestly though, you don’t need wireless charging while on the bike, so if you can remove the case easily enough it should t be a problem. My case for the SP Connect was a pain to get off. I went with the TackForm system. My phone isn’t going anywhere. I thought about the X Grip by RAM Mounts, but I know a few people that had them lose grip on their phones. I like what I have now best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Update - I checked my RKA tank bag. The roundel mount sold by Arizona Jim is still a good option for me. A simple Ram extension arm should be all that's needed to make it work
Q: how do you fill the tank? Do you have to move the phone out of the way each time?

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Quad Lock have an wireless charger mount that can be adapted to the bike and mounting system.

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts

Very nice, Is this the same one??
I want to set up the same mounting system. Thank you
I used the Ram mount as it allows you to mount it on the right or left of your handle bars then I used the Ram short Arm to allow me to use the Quad Lock with the 1`` ball along with the Quad Lock vibration dampener that protects you phone from low frequency vibration that result in the camera being damaged on you mobile/cell.
IMG_0698.jpeg
IMG_0691.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Q: how do you fill the tank? Do you have to move the phone out of the way each time?
I unsnap the RKA tank bag and lay it backwards onto the seat. The phone is not in the way; it's much closer to the start button than to the tank bag. No issues at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I unsnap the RKA tank bag and lay it backwards onto the seat. The phone is not in the way; it's much closer to the start button than to the tank bag. No issues at all.
Cool. I know about the tank bags, but was curious about the phone mount, because mine is attached to the handlebar which I like well enough, but even pushed out of the way, it still interferes on my GA

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cool. I know about the tank bags, but was curious about the phone mount, because mine is attached to the handlebar which I like well enough, but even pushed out of the way, it still interferes on my GA
I should have added: I do have Arizona Jim's roundel RAM mount but at the moment I am using a Tackform mount mounted to the handlebar. This, too, does not interfere with the tank bag or refueling. So far I am liking these setups very much -- easy to use, rock-solid, and well-made.

·
Registered
K1600 GA, R18, R1200GSA LC, R ninet, Super tenere1200, Honda Monkey125, Burgman 650
88 Posts
I used the Ram mount as it allows you to mount it on the right or left of your handle bars then I used the Ram short Arm to allow me to use the Quad Lock with the 1`` ball along with the Quad Lock vibration dampener that protects you phone from low frequency vibration that result in the camera being damaged on you mobile/cell.

Hi, Thank you very much for the picture..
My question is this mount on brake control is this Ram mount this model right? I'm not sure which model, RAM® Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir & Handlebar Ball Base Part#: RAM-B-309-7U
BTW, Quadlock is amazing as you said damped vibration.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts