BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reviewing some threads and the tip to 3D printed part on Thingiverse. I decided to re-engineer the solution and came up with this replacement plate.

It is designed to work with this wireless phone mount on Amazon : $50

I Designed it with the free version of Fusion360 for personal use.

I had it printed for a cost of $35 at Voodoo manufacturing; But found out I could probably get for $20 if printed through craftcloud3d.com.
Printed with PETG for strength and UV resistance.

I will update once I post the design files to a free service. you can message me with email address if you want them direct.

·
Outta This World
1,844 Posts
So after reviewing some threads and the tip to 3D printed part on Thingiverse. I decided to re-engineer the solution and came up with this replacement plate.

View attachment 144530

It is designed to work with this wireless phone mount on Amazon : $50

I Designed it with the free version of Fusion360 for personal use.

I had it printed for a cost of $35 at Voodoo manufacturing; But found out I could probably get for $20 if printed through craftcloud3d.com.
Printed with PETG for strength and UV resistance.

View attachment 144532

View attachment 144531

I will update once I post the design files to a free service. you can message me with email address if you want them direct.
Great job but that print quality is really meh, I would definitely find someone else to do the printing. It looks like they printed with a large layer height and the printer itself is not calibrated very well.

Thanks for sharing the STL btw!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a design thats been out for years on thingiverse that I used for years without and worked well. PTEG is a good material but if you really like what you going to mount in that area I would use nylon or nylonX as a better choice of material.

Reactions: Lukeinlondon

·
Outta This World
1,844 Posts
Posted link in my previous message.

There should be plenty of room for the plate over the wunderlinq. This model is for the NAV VI. The smaller NAV IV version is below.

Also, if there is anything you want on the plate (your name, picture of the queen, etc) its easy to add.

·
Registered
75 Posts

There should be plenty of room for the plate over the wunderlinq. The only thing I don't know is the size of the opening (NAV IV or VI). The plate is easy to modify.

Also, if there is anything you want on the plate (your name, picture of the queen, etc) its easy to add.
I've got a Nav IV. You original design appears to be for a larger opening? I think mine is 6cm x 10cm.

·
Outta This World
1,844 Posts
I think the original STL was for the B. I will measure the opening on my GTL/NAV IV and make a new one.

I measured the NAV IV cover plate size as 65x105mm. That would be the size required to span the opening all the way around. I will shrink those dimension by a bit.

@KHawk

NAV IV Version

·
Outta This World
1,844 Posts
I think the original STL was for the B. I will measure the opening on my GTL/NAV IV and make a new one.

I measured the NAV IV cover plate size as 65x105mm. That would be the size required to span the opening all the way around. I will shrink those dimension by a bit.

@KHawk

NAV IV Version
I have not printed this myself yet, will do so this afternoon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for insight @earthling and @Harryjames . Was curious if the comment about PETG because it may be too brittle and break or that it would look better?

I was under the impression that PETG was fairly strong.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Doh! I am realising the plate doesn't fit the blank space it covers the actual Navs?

There should be plenty of room for the plate over the wunderlinq. This model is for the NAV VI. The smaller NAV IV version is below.

Im confused now, the link you shared looks like it covers an actual Nav V/VI and everyone is talking about Nav measurements. Is that how the plate works? I thought the plate covered the blank space up but never wondered how it attaches

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The plate I designed uses 4 small plastic pieces on the corners that go behind the opening and I use #6 wood screws.

Doh! I am realising the plate doesn't fit the blank space it covers the actual Navs?

Im confused now, the link you shared looks like it covers an actual Nav V/VI and everyone is talking about Nav measurements. Is that how the plate works? I thought the plate covered the blank space up but never wondered how it attaches

·
Outta This World
1,844 Posts

Covers the blank opening

1 - 20 of 44 Posts