BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
KBiK
1,463 Posts
I had this NAV IV version printed but the 1" ram ball doesn't fit the ILM Motorcycle Bike Phone Mount Holder that you referenced in your original post - riders beware!
Even if the 1” ball did fit a regular Ram ball mount, I would be wary of how sturdy the stem is on these mounts. All my Ram balls have a metal stem that extends up into the ball.

I would hate to be riding fast and have one of these ball mounts fail and just get a glimpse as my $900 phone bounces past me onto the road :(

·
Outta This World
1,844 Posts
iPhones are not waterproof.

Depending on model, they are rated to IP67 and IP68 which means they are "water resistant" according to Apple. Water damage is not covered under Apple's warranty.

The Lifeproof Fre case is rated as waterproof as it is able to be submerged for up to two hours. It also provides protection from a drop up to 2 metres..
No, they are not waterproof, but they are water resistant which is good enough in the vast majority of the cases. IP67 means submerged for up to 1/2 hour. That's basically good enough, any longer than that and you probably have bigger problems. I have dropped my phone in a river, retrieved it with no side effects. For most cases you are talking about rain exposure which is basically indefinite as IP67 water resistance is a combination of both exposure and pressure (which you won't have in a rainstorm).

The Lifeproof case is definitely an improvement over what you have with just the unprotected phone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I had this NAV IV version printed but the 1" ram ball doesn't fit the ILM Motorcycle Bike Phone Mount Holder that you referenced in your original post - riders beware!
Yes, I thought I made that clear in the orginal post. And you are correct about durability. My printed part failed after about 5 rides. So agree Rider's beware!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts