BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not my preferred set of shoes but the price point was good... CYCLE Gear had them on sale in store until Monday 11:59..They will make a good spare

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don’t have a Cycle Gear in my town but was traveling today and stopped in at a Cycle Gear and saw the same offer. The build dates on the tires were mid 2016. That would make them 3 1/2 years old. I waffled and walked away but didn’t know if you would consider those current or not? I am leaning heavily on getting the Dunlop Roadsmart III, but the reviews on the T30 make it to be a decent (not great) tire at what would be a killer price.
What are the thoughts regarding the build date/age?

Reactions: defenderharris

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I've had Dunlop TRAILsmarts that were received more than 2 years old that worked just fine. My brother said send them back and he would never use new 2 year old tires but it just didn't bother me.
That being said I don't like Bridgestones because they wear flat way to quickly.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I get about 9K miles on Battlax, was that the GT tyre. T31 is the current version so T30 at that age isn't a problem

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t have a Cycle Gear in my town but was traveling today and stopped in at a Cycle Gear and saw the same offer. The build dates on the tires were mid 2016. That would make them 3 1/2 years old. I waffled and walked away but didn’t know if you would consider those current or not? I am leaning heavily on getting the Dunlop Roadsmart III, but the reviews on the T30 make it to be a decent (not great) tire at what would be a killer price.
What are the thoughts regarding the build date/age?
I saw that too..at that price point would be a good back up to the back up...might put it in before I put on my RS III just to see

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
The sign on the display said ‘only available in store or by phone’. Although when I went online, it appeared that the price they had for each tire separately added up to the sale price for the set.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I picked up another set at the store when they had an additional 10% off last week. They are also available by phone, T30's for $149/set and T30 EVO's for $169/set, as of last week. Buying in stores has the advantage of being able to pick the freshest build date. Most I saw were '17, with some late months '16. Personally, I have no problem buying tires that are a few yrs old, since they are usually store in warehouses and are not subjected to heat cycling. But... if I can choose, I'd obviously pick the freshest meat.

The T-series has been my go-to brand since their introduction, and I have ridden on T30, T30EVO and now T31. Bridgestone almost always has a spring time rebate ($40-60), so typical cost has been about $200/set. Performance-wise, they are every bit as good as the other name brands. I avoid riding in the wet, so I don't much care for the heavily siped tires made so popular by the Michelin Road series. Bridgestone's T-series traditionally have bucked that trend and has higher land to sea ratios optimized for dry traction, especially on the shoulders where you are leaned over hard. I like that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I Purchased a set of Bridgestone T31s from RockyMountainATV. My current PR4s wearing thin so can’t wait for rebate to come along ( which means they will probably happen next week). Nonetheless, I picked up the set for $269. They arrived yesterday and now I’m waiting for a window of opportunity when I can get them levered on. I don’t ride in the rain intentionally, but you never know when you’re going to hit a cloudburst. Or on a multi-day trip and hit the front of some sort, so I do like my tires to be able to handle in wet conditions. However most of my riding is in the heat of the summer So I need a tire that will hold up to that condition. Will give a report after I get several hundred miles on them.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I Purchased a set of Bridgestone T31s from RockyMountainATV. My current PR4s wearing thin so can’t wait for rebate to come along ( which means they will probably happen next week). Nonetheless, I picked up the set for $269. They arrived yesterday and now I’m waiting for a window of opportunity when I can get them levered on. I don’t ride in the rain intentionally, but you never know when you’re going to hit a cloudburst. Or on a multi-day trip and hit the front of some sort, so I do like my tires to be able to handle in wet conditions. However most of my riding is in the heat of the summer So I need a tire that will hold up to that condition. Will give a report after I get several hundred miles on them.
You'll like the T31 (GT?) for you Summer riding. The only thing I can't vouch for is tire wear, and that's only because I don't ever wait until the wear bars to change out my tires. Since I change my own tires, I swap in a fresh set when the rear start squaring off or the front start feathering. A few times, I plain just wanted to have a brand new set before a long tour. With the T-series being very affordable, I don't feel bad about taking out old stock before they are really due.

Also, wet riding are perfectly safe on the T31. I just don't expect the tire to "perform" when it's raining cats and dogs. I switch to my "school boy" mode and ride like I've got grandma on the pillion. :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes, I purchased the GT variant of the T31. And I'm like you.....when its wet, the ride mode goes to 'Rain' and I ride safe. I don't need to feel the rear end kick out from overexuberence, nor have the front end wash out.

Reactions: Volfy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts