BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my local BMW dealer this week to pick up some pass floor boards for my wife and found them
started on the recall of a new 1600 B. A little more involved than I expected ? They told me BMW is doing the recall
by vin # on customers bikes and I have a kit on order and will be notified when it comes in. This is there second repair being
done. So far so good? Thought you guys might like these pics. 5A25E6E2-7A20-4797-9149-EF78EDB1AF77.jpeg A28B8368-FE0D-4BA6-B2A8-89683C4E62EF.jpeg 5830CEF0-60FF-4F47-93D8-F3122255216A.jpeg 57EBBF10-2C02-48CF-B6E2-2293A086972A.jpeg FC6A8641-62BB-4D52-8BED-3A027379D1CA.jpeg 322174FE-1540-4A13-BFF8-2483B2CDB180.jpeg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have also mentioned that there will not be an oil and filter change
done after the trans recall because very little oil is lost during the work.
But I will be doing my own oil change once I have determined all is well.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks for the Pics. I don't think the problem will be getting the gearbox out or back in, just the work that needs to be done in between. Then again I read some place the gears can only go in one way, so who really knows unless your a tech and dong the job a few times.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I guess the good news is that there are no hammers visible in the photos but I wonder why they took all the tupperware and rear tire/wheel off. Seems to be a lot of extra work.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I wonder why they took all the tupperware and rear tire/wheel off.
Can't say regarding the tupperware (it could be either for access reasons or to eliminate the possibility of damage), but the rear wheel is off because - from what I can see - the driveshaft has to be pulled to allow removal of the transmission.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
at least it is accessible without further stripping

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
but the rear wheel is off because - from what I can see - the driveshaft has to be pulled to allow removal of the transmission.
Yes... That is what is in the work steps published earlier.... Cannot pull the tranny without pulling out the driveshaft.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Stopped by my local dealer today. The service manager told me they did 4 recall bikes so far, all new and pre-sold. He said they have the procedure down. Also, spoke with one of the tech's that has been doing the work. He said they actually have a jig for the transmission and that it requires several special tools. That it's a tightly designed transmission. He was not at all concerned with the work now that they have the right tools.

One future benifit; dealers will have the tools and experience to repair a K1600 transmission vs needing to replace the whole unit. A good thing.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I stopped by the dealer today as well for the 600 mile service and they said about 2 weeks and they will call for the beast to come back in and get the trans done...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Great job on pics! kinda surprised they let you go all photog in the shop in the middle of surgery although they let me take pics of all my Tupperware off during a front end repair caused in shippping from mother ship

·
Registered
336 Posts
So, just received Official confirmation that my 2020 GTL is arriving with the updated gearbox. No dealership works required. At least that clarifies that “the fix” is already implemented on New supply bikes ......which one would have expected however it simply couldn’t be taken for granted that the dealer wasn’t fixing incoming new stock.

Doesn’t help those awaiting a fix I know .....however it does at least confirm the picture re New supply bikes.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thank you for the photos. Very interesting. You really need to know your crap to do this. As a type A as I am, my always and only concern from work done on cars and bikes in regards to new gaskets is that the time has to be taken to completely clean any surface and correct torque and pattern has to be applied. Not to take away from these master mechanics. I sleep good at night, we are covered and I will always be with this machine.....LOL. Happy riding......!!!!!

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Thanks for the Pics. I don't think the problem will be getting the gearbox out or back in, just the work that needs to be done in between. Then again I read some place the gears can only go in one way, so who really knows unless your a tech and dong the job a few times.

Unless I'm mistaken there is no gearbox. The engine and transmission are all in the same case sharing the same oil supply.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts