BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Donna, you crack me up lol. I was told tonight that they need to heat the bearing to around 80c to take them out part of the kit consist of new bearings and shims as the tolerances need to be withing spec. Mine gets started tomorrow, so if you hear a loud noise next week coming from north of you, then you know it is me lol not being happy, if its a loud cheer then I am all good and to be honest I think it will be the later. I am thinking of doing the ride across the blue mountains then to Oberon and Goulburn and up the freeway, home to Newcastle plus run the bike with some variable speeds twisties and long sweeping bends in once I get my hot little hands on it. It should be a good test ride.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Glad they started now. Regular Springtime repairs/Service maintenance are going to be slower to get out of the shops, with this consuming a lot of their time. Thanks for the inside scoop…love that stuff.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Donna, you crack me up lol. I was told tonight that they need to heat the bearing to around 80c to take them out part of the kit consist of new bearings and shims as the tolerances need to be withing spec. Mine gets started tomorrow, so if you hear a loud noise next week coming from north of you, then you know it is me lol not being happy, if its a loud cheer then I am all good and to be honest I think it will be the later. I am thinking of doing the ride across the blue mountains then to Oberon and Goulburn and up the freeway, home to Newcastle plus run the bike with some variable speeds twisties and long sweeping bends in once I get my hot little hands on it. It should be a good test ride.
Be a nice run... Have you checked out the run from Oberon to Rockley and back to the highway via Tuena and Crookwell. Some magnificent twisites that way. A few hours longer but so very worth it

·
Registered
677 Posts
Be a nice run... Have you checked out the run from Oberon to Rockley and back to the highway via Tuena and Crookwell. Some magnificent twisites that way. A few hours longer but so very worth it
I have thought about it and now you mentioned it I will do that, I just want to get the first service klms. up and don't want to go to much over that so depending on the klms. on the round trip. I think the first service allows for a couple of hundred klms. over the 1,000 kms. for the first service. I love twisty bits and sweeping bends so that sound like a great ride. Thanks, Donna.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have thought about it and now you mentioned it I will do that, I just want to get the first service klms. up and don't want to go to much over that so depending on the klms. on the round trip. I think the first service allows for a couple of hundred klms. over the 1,000 kms. for the first service. I love twisty bits and sweeping bends so that sound like a great ride. Thanks, Donna.
If you let me know when, we could try to meet up in Rockley. Any excuse for a good run on the Twisties. I'll try not to slow you down too much. ?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Ok, that sounds great just need to get the bike first. that should be next week so looking forward to giving it a good run. Plus will be nice catching up with a fellow Ozzy forum member. It might be a week longer than I planned to do that ride I had 40 million skin cancer burnt off this afternoon lol. So I won't even be able to put a helmet on for a week or so. Donna, What's the best days that work for you as I would love to meet up and have a coffee or and a feed before the ride you suggested. Once I get my bike and wounds are healed enough to get my helmet on I will send you my email so we might be able to arrange that meet and ride. It works out around an 11 hour day and 865 km. for that day without any diversions etc. for me without any time for a coffee or meal that I will be doing lol and happy to do it as I usually do that on a. regular basis with a mate who can't ride at the moment due to being unwell.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's not part of the work instructions for the recall work, so no.
Mine is brand new so they will be doing all the updates and any TSB outstanding before delivery. I am so lucky to have a great dealership that wants to do the correct thing by their customers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I stopped by my local BMW dealer this week to pick up some pass floor boards for my wife and found them
started on the recall of a new 1600 B. A little more involved than I expected ? They told me BMW is doing the recall
by vin # on customers bikes and I have a kit on order and will be notified when it comes in. This is there second repair being
done. So far so good? Thought you guys might like these pics. View attachment 139817 View attachment 139818 View attachment 139819 View attachment 139820 View attachment 139821 View attachment 139822
My K1600 GA was completed a few weeks back. Immediately took it out for a spirited ride. Pushed on the trans pretty hard, smooth as silk. It's not a difficult job, just takes a bit of time. But you have to go in and have the dealership file the request to start the ball rolling.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for sharing, never thouht that they had to remove clutch, rear wheel, fuel tank, fairing, etc....
Makes me a bit nervous to have it done!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thank you for the outstanding pics !!! Also a tip'o my hat to the dealer who let you take them.
They show the complexity of the mechanicals underneath all the plastic, quells the curious from attempting work they should not, gives us "home" mechanics possible second thoughts when the comment about needing unique tools to do the job is read.
Gary Smith, aka RBGary

21 - 34 of 34 Posts