BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Were you running the PR4GT tires? Or just the PR4 spec on the K16GT.
I'm surprised that you hated them and they "stepped out" on you. I'm having very good performance from mine and I have pushed them pretty hard.
The GTs. They suck, no they really suck, no they really really suck.

Almost high sided the bike twice. But the low siding was worse. I cant say enough bad things about the tires.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
So, can you tell us how you really feel? LOL

I wonder how, on the same bike, we have such conflicting reports on the same tire?

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
So, can you tell us how you really feel? LOL

I wonder how, on the same bike, we have such conflicting reports on the same tire?
Exactly. I have had several sets of PR4 GT's and have no problems with the handling.

However, I must not have Brick's smooth hands, as I just pulled the rear off at 3500 miles. 90% "spirited" riding on twisty central California roads.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Exactly. I have had several sets of PR4 GT's and have no problems with the handling.

However, I must not have Brick's smooth hands, as I just pulled the rear off at 3500 miles. 90% "spirited" riding on twisty central California roads.
It's easy to do. I destroyed a Metzler Z8 rear in 150km playing in the mountains years ago on the GT. Reduced it to steel belts after snapping the throttle on and off all day to use the torque to throw the bike in and out of corners. It was good fun, except that I then needed to ride the same shredded tyre another 200kms to civilisation to get it replaced. Top speed by then was less than 80kph to stop sliding around the road.

You can have stupid fun or tyre life. One is much easier on the wallet than the other and the compromise isn't as great as you'd think.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I ran PR4 GT's too and had the rear end slide out on me a number of times. They are not a sticky rear tire. The front PR4 GT tire, OTOH, has given me no issues. I still use one up front. Yep, I run different tires front and rear...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I can't leave this one alone....
Did you guys have immediate issues with the PR4GT rear tire or did it get slick after a specific amount of miles? What TP did you run? 1 or 2 up riding? Concrete or asphalt?
I've just heard so many good reports on these tires specifically on this same bike that I'm wondering what you are doing differently. I mean, I guess you could be some sort of superhero incredibly talented motogp racer on the street who just rides all crazy but I'm thinking you are probably much like the rest of us and enjoy "spirited" riding most of the time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I can't leave this one alone....
Did you guys have immediate issues with the PR4GT rear tire or did it get slick after a specific amount of miles? What TP did you run? 1 or 2 up riding? Concrete or asphalt?
I've just heard so many good reports on these tires specifically on this same bike that I'm wondering what you are doing differently. I mean, I guess you could be some sort of superhero incredibly talented motogp racer on the street who just rides all crazy but I'm thinking you are probably much like the rest of us and enjoy "spirited" riding most of the time.
I run 42psi After installing I did a 22 mi loop that I always do through Harriman state park, 7 lakes drive and on the way back on my favorite twisty road Kanawauke Rd the first hi speed right, the rear let loose big time almost high sided it then shortly after I lost the front end and almost hit the guard rail then I had the rear step out on the left. Did not feel I was going very fast but slowed way down after that.

Unfortunately after that I had lost a lot of confidence in the tires so slowed down overall in my riding and still had a lot of issues. I could not ride with my friends because I could not keep up.

I am not the only one I know with problems with these tires. My friend took them off his K16 after 700mi for the same reason. He can afford it though.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I run 42psi After installing I did a 22 mi loop that I always do through Harriman state park, 7 lakes drive and on the way back on my favorite twisty road Kanawauke Rd the first hi speed right, the rear let loose big time almost high sided it then shortly after I lost the front end and almost hit the guard rail then I had the rear step out on the left. Did not feel I was going very fast but slowed way down after that.

Unfortunately after that I had lost a lot of confidence in the tires so slowed down overall in my riding and still had a lot of issues. I could not ride with my friends because I could not keep up.

I am not the only one I know with problems with these tires. My friend took them off his K16 after 700mi for the same reason. He can afford it though.

By your description you went on this ride JUST after installing your tires. My interpretation of what you wrote is you didnt break in the new tires, and any slippage should have been expected.
So I have to wonder how many negative posts here are attributed to a human error and not the tires fault!! There I said it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
By your description you went on this ride JUST after installing your tires. My interpretation of what you wrote is you didnt break in the new tires, and any slippage should have been expected.
So I have to wonder how many negative posts here are attributed to a human error and not the tires fault!! There I said it.
After 20 miles they should be good, I waited until the end of the ride. They dont put preservative on tires the way they use to so their is very little break in that needs to be done.

Besides that, what about the rest of the time? The PR4s consistently had issues when being pushed and even at a moderate pace would sometimes step out or just loose traction.

They are dangerous if you ride hard but just fine if you ride at a conservative pace.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'm as lost as the next guy, you claim that your K16GT is your 50th bike but you don't understand that a BRAND NEW TIRE has to be scuffed in? They have a coating on the tire that needs to be scuffed off before the tire adheres correctly to the road surface.
It all makes perfect sense to me now.
Thank god you explained it to me, I thought I might be in for a bad deal but now I understand why you have said what you did.
Whewwwww

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Guess I don't ride as aggressively I thought, I've never had a issue with a PR4 in the corners. Maybe someday I'll get the chance to try to follow some of you guys...

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
I'm as lost as the next guy, you claim that your K16GT is your 50th bike but you don't understand that a BRAND NEW TIRE has to be scuffed in? They have a coating on the tire that needs to be scuffed off before the tire adheres correctly to the road surface.
It was explained to me by a Metzler tech that the slippery coating on moto tires to release them from the mold that forms them is urban legend. This is not to say that you can ride a new tire hard out of the gate. The tech explained that new tires will not provide good traction until they go through several heat cycles. It's not scuffing them in that gives them traction. It's heating them up and letting them cool several times that does it.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Just turned 8k on a set of Angel GT "A" spec tires. Don't see any reason to change.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
To each their own. I had my PR4 GT rear tire slide sideways probably 4 times throughout its life. And have never had a Angel A Spec do that over the lifespan of 4 or 5 of those tires.

If the Michelins work good for you, that's great. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
I'm not suggesting the PR4 is the best tire out there... But I've ran through probably 10 sets and had the back tire, unexpectedly, only skip out twice. Last couple of sets have been Angel A specs. I'll swap them out before I head to SLC for the rally with Dunlop Roadsmart III.

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
I'm not suggesting the PR4 is the best tire out there... But I've ran through probably 10 sets and had the back tire, unexpectedly, only skip out twice. Last couple of sets have been Angel A specs. I'll swap them out before I head to SLC for the rally with Dunlop Roadsmart III.

Duane
Ditto Duane,

I just swapped out a pair of PR4 GT's @ 8,800 miles with no issues during their lifetime. Kept the pressure @ 42/42. I'm willing to try something else, but have not see compelling reason to change, other than to experiment. Cheers, FWIW.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
It all makes perfect sense to me now.
Thank god you explained it to me, I thought I might be in for a bad deal but now I understand why you have said what you did.
Whewwwww

So you don't think 20 miles is enough to scuff a tire in? They don't put that coating on anymore either. They use to put a preservative on the tires but they don't do that anymore.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts