BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago my wife and I got back from a 1550 mile, 4 day ride down to TN/NC where we rode the Tail for the 4th time, did the Moonshiner 28 both ways, and then hit the Cherohala Skyway on the way home. I rode my GTL (first time on this bike in an area that motorcycles were built for) and she's on her 2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T. I'm already itching for another long distance ride to an area worthy of the K1600. Where we live in East Central IL, it's straight, flat, and nothing but corn, soy beans, and wind.

So, for our 25th next year, we are doing the Alps and Lakes tour in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland with Edelweiss Bike Tours. We've been planning this for over a year now. I'll have to "settle" for the R1250RT, as they don't offer a K1600. The wife will get her own RT.

Then, for my 50th birthday in a little over 2.5 years, we are going to take an epic tour of the American West- Spearfish Canyon and the Needles Highway, Mt Rushmore, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, Going to the Sun Rd,. Chief Joseph Smith HWY, Yosemite, Glenwood Canyon Highway, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon NP and the other various sights in Utah are all on the menu. I'm thinking 3-4 weeks straight on the bikes. I'm pretty sure I'll get a trailer for my bike and we'll upgrade my wife to a 1250RT before that trip.

I can't wait. Life is good!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
A week ago my wife and I got back from a 1550 mile, 4 day ride down to TN/NC where we rode the Tail for the 4th time, did the Moonshiner 28 both ways, and then hit the Cherohala Skyway on the way home. I rode my GTL (first time on this bike in an area that motorcycles were built for) and she's on her 2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T. I'm already itching for another long distance ride to an area worthy of the K1600. Where we live in East Central IL, it's straight, flat, and nothing but corn, soy beans, and wind.

So, for our 25th next year, we are doing the Alps and Lakes tour in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland with Edelweiss Bike Tours. We've been planning this for over a year now. I'll have to "settle" for the R1250RT, as they don't offer a K1600. The wife will get her own RT.

Then, for my 50th birthday in a little over 2.5 years, we are going to take an epic tour of the American West- Spearfish Canyon and the Needles Highway, Mt Rushmore, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, Going to the Sun Rd,. Chief Joseph Smith HWY, Yosemite, Glenwood Canyon Highway, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon NP and the other various sights in Utah are all on the menu. I'm thinking 3-4 weeks straight on the bikes. I'm pretty sure I'll get a trailer for my bike and we'll upgrade my wife to a 1250RT before that trip.

I can't wait. Life is good!

I just got back from Montana and SD and rode many of the areas you plan to ride to include Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, Glacier, Needles Hwy, Spearfish Canyon, MT Rushmore, plus Crazy Horse to name a few. If you ride Yellowstone plan on at least 3-4 days just riding the park and if you do Yellowstone you should ride south to Grand Tetons National Park. While you're in SD checkout Devils Tower and Badlands Natl. Park, Spearfish Canyon is cool but not all that impressive and certainly not as impressive as Needles Hwy. Take at least half a day if not a whole day riding through Custer State Park to take in the park has to offer and not just Needles Hwy. The picture below is the summit of Beartooth Pass, great ride and incredible scenery.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Just got back last Wednesday from that area, although I didn't go into South Dakota. I think I was there last year. By the time you go, hopefully everything will be sorted out virus wise. I had misjudged the dates and thought we'd left after Labor Day. Yellowstone was crowded, but manageable. People still stop in the middle of the road for any type of wildlife nearby. We stayed in West Yellowstone and traveled into the park. There was plenty to see and do and by the time you get there, the repair work on the Old Faithful Inn should be finished. We were unable to get into Glacier NP. With the east side of the park closed, the areas in the west were overwhelmed. The photo Wellcraft posted above really can't portray just how incredible the Beartooth is. If I had to chose only one, I'd take Beartooth over Chief Joseph; but it is possible to do both if you plan right.

If you're 62, and haven't done so, get an $80 Lifetime Pass to the National Parks. If you're under 62, get the $80 yearly pass right before you leave. Yellowstone was $35 to get in. With all the parks you're considering, you'll make up the cost in no time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Disabled veterans can get a free lifetime pass to all National Parks, I picked up mine going through the gate at Yellowstone and it saved me at least 70 bucks between Yellowstone and Glacier.

·
KBiK
1,469 Posts
Planning rides is half the fun!

Reactions: AZK1600GTL

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now we are trying to decide between taking a small trailer behind my bike and camping in a tent on the ground, or pulling a much larger camping trailer - tent like the Time-Out Deluxe. The small trailer tent combo has the advantage of being able to wheel the trailer into a hotel room should we stay at a few hotels along the way. However, sleeping on the ground, even with air mattresses, will be less comfortable. The camping trailer tent would keep us off the ground and allow even more cargo- perhaps even a drone for taking aerial videos, but obviously would have to be left in the parking lot with the bike when we stay at hotels. I do expect that most of our time will be spent camping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are planning on towing a Camper trailer, I recommend going with the Lees-ure lite brand. Made in Canada andtake only one minute to set up and you can set up in the rain without the inside getting wet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts